Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need to take off my filter to clean out soon. Should I take off the whole pipe and clean it out or is that not really needed until a certain amount of miles? I'd say I have 8k miles or so on the car since I put the CAI on.

When I clean it, can I just use water? (this is the TK CAI) and I've heard you should oil the filter as well. What kind of oil do you use? Not sure what else I need to do, so any tips are welcome.

·
Registered
284 Posts
K&N filter cleaner kit.

in US you can get it at an Auto Zone or even Walmart (double check).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Trash the filter is came with and go with a K&N cone filter. 100,000 maintenance free miles.
The included filter is K&N, but you still need to clean it every few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Remeber when you clean your fliter to spray from the inside out.. this is very important!!

if you spray it from the outside in.. your going to damage the fibers on the filter, not that you can see it with the eye but its not good for the filter.

Yeah you can buy a recharge kit from k&n to reoil any filter that uses a oil

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The included filter is K&N, but you still need to clean it every few thousand miles.

If it's K&N no you don't. From K&N themselves...

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Mkay, I wasn't sure of the exact number they recommend.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remeber when you clean your fliter to spray from the inside out.. this is very important!!

if you spray it from the outside in.. your going to damage the fibers on the filter, not that you can see it with the eye but its not good for the filter.

Yeah you can buy a recharge kit from k&n to reoil any filter that uses a oil
Thanks for the tip, I probably would have done it the wrong way.

And since it was brought up, has anyone put a K&N filter on the TK downpipe? Does it fit? Does it work as good,better, worse? Sound better?

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah all you need to do is read the instructions lol k and n like above poster said if you live in a dusty area clean sooner if not then every 50 k miles as they have a milliy mile warranty so no probs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts