Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 forte koup. Need to replace front and rear caliper bracket bolts. Everwhere I look, including dormans part finder site, only list the available bolt for the front caliper bracket. Is the front and back the same size?

·
Registered
558 Posts
2012 forte koup. Need to replace front and rear caliper bracket bolts. Everwhere I look, including dormans part finder site, only list the available bolt for the front caliper bracket. Is the front and back the same size?

Why do you need to replace these? they usually last the life of the car. I have replaced many things on cars over many years but never the bracket bolts.

Pat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had to replace caliper bracket bolts before, they were rusted/stripped and would no longer tighten.

Have you checked the dealer or even a junkyard?

The front caliper is bigger than the rear, I don't think they're fit, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Why do you need to replace these? they usually last the life of the car. I have replaced many things on cars over many years but never the bracket bolts.

Pat.
Two of them are stripped and right now I have them in without the washer, the only way I could get them to tighten.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Two of them are stripped and right now I have them in without the washer, the only way I could get them to tighten.
I've only replaced the front rotors in my sedan so far, but I believe the bolts are the same front and back. Are you certain it's just stripped bolt threads and the caliper mounting bracket hole threads are ok? You could confirm that by buying M12 1.25 pitch bolts at your local hardware store and check if they pull tight with the lock washer in place (using spacers to take up the bolt head slack). And you could also buy grade 8 bolts in the above spec, and cut them to the exact size with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and use them to replace the stripped factory bolts. Torque spec for those bolts is 70 ft-lbs max, and I didn't have any issues on mine using that amount of torque.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only replaced the front rotors in my sedan so far, but I believe the bolts are the same front and back. Are you certain it's just stripped bolt threads and the caliper mounting bracket hole threads are ok? You could confirm that by buying M12 1.25 pitch bolts at your local hardware store and check if they pull tight with the lock washer in place (using spacers to take up the bolt head slack). And you could also buy grade 8 bolts in the above spec, and cut them to the exact size with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and use them to replace the stripped factory bolts. Torque spec for those bolts is 70 ft-lbs max, and I didn't have any issues on mine using that amount of torque.
They were stripped when I removed them and didn't have a chance to tighten them down. The only ones like this are bottom bolt on each rear bracket. I did 70lbs on all others with no problem. It actually may have been your old post I came across to find torque specs.

I found replacements at oreillys but storms today and tomorrow aren't going to give me a chance to do the work...replacing all the calipers too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They were stripped when I removed them and didn't have a chance to tighten them down. The only ones like this are bottom bolt on each rear bracket. ....
Probably the result of somebody using an impact gun, because it would take a gorilla to strip them out using a socket or regular wrench.

...replacing all the calipers too.
So are the pistons frozen in place, or is there some other reason you need to replace them?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Although the OP has probably is already finished with this job and moved on, I'm posting an update with correct information, in case anyone else intends to make use of this in the future. I just finished replacing my 2011 Forte sedan rotors, and found out that the caliper mounting bracket bolts are not the same as the front bolts. The rear bolts are smaller than the M12 front ones - probably M10 1.25 pitch (however I was not able to confirm that). Also, the top bolt is longer than the bottom bolt by around 1/4", required for passing through an extra flange. And the torque spec for the smaller rear bolts is 55 ft-lbs max, and not the 70 ft-lb max spec for the front bolts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/quote]
So are the pistons frozen in place, or is there some other reason you need to replace them?[/QUOTE]

One dust boot was torn and the other was popped out. So just going to replace all four.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although the OP has probably is already finished with this job and moved on, I'm posting an update with correct information, in case anyone else intends to make use of this in the future. I just finished replacing my 2011 Forte sedan rotors, and found out that the caliper mounting bracket bolts are not the same as the front bolts. The rear bolts are smaller than the M12 front ones - probably M10 1.25 pitch (however I was not able to confirm that). Also, the top bolt is longer than the bottom bolt by around 1/4", required for passing through an extra flange. And the torque spec for the smaller rear bolts is 55 ft-lbs max, and not the 70 ft-lb max spec for the front bolts.
Forgot about my post here, meant to come back and update. Front bolts are larger 17mm and rears are two different lengths and 15mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oddly, my 2010 Forte Koup EX rear lower bolts had a 14mm head, and are impossible to find. M8 1.00 pitch 25mm flange hex fine thread grade 10. Best I can find so far is the whole guide pin set, which includes the 1 bolt I need.

·
Registered
982 Posts
No, I'm the original owner.
The reason I asked is that I recently replaced a bad rear caliper (loaded from NAPA), and the new bracket had a different thread pitch, not matching my factory bolts. So that's why I was wondering if a PO had done that with yours as well.

Perhaps they used the fine pitch bolt on the 2010, and then switched to the middle pitch for the 2011/12. But in any case, it's something to watch out for when changing rear brackets or replacing bracket bolts on a first gen Forte.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts