Kia Forte Forum banner

What color should I paint my Calipers?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about painting my calipers on my sedan sx. The car is black with the standard 17" wheels that come on the sx. Was think red but then strted to think black would look kinda nice. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
red will stick out more go for it i will be using some heat resistance spray to color mines cooperhead

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
you know what they say you go black you never go back lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Plan to paint mine red, now that the weather is starting to get better.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Red is your typical color choice... When I had my blacked out elantra I did a black and blue scheme and painted my calipers blue and trust me they looked sexy... I'll edit with a pic soon...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Your local Advance or Autozone or PepBoys will have what you need... They actually make Caliper paint that has ceramic in it that will hold up to the elements better but any high heat paint will do...

·
Registered
320 Posts
how do you paint those? do you have to use special paint?
This is what I've used in the past with good results.

High Perf Caliper Paint Kit

You can find it at most local autoparts for about $30. Little tip...buy extra brushes from a hardware store or craft store. The kit comes with 1 or 2 brushes. The paint dries very quickly in the brush and makes the brush useless after waiting for the coats to dry. I used 2 or 3 brushes per wheel the last time I did this mod.

I guess you could use some thinner to clean the brush...but I didn't want to take risk of the paint peeling or flaking because of thinner getting mixed in with the paint, giving the amount of heat it will see.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Best thing to use is a foam brush as it gets in every crack and crevice on the calipers so you don't miss any spots.. Use the brush on kind as the Spray tends to chip faster... you'll have to do this after every winter most likely so be prepared...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Best thing to use is a foam brush as it gets in every crack and crevice on the calipers so you don't miss any spots.. Use the brush on kind as the Spray tends to chip faster... you'll have to do this after every winter most likely so be prepared...
Clean the calipers with brake cleaner and lightly sand them and and the paint should stick.

Put it on over grease or dirt and the paint will not stick.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The not much worries just check every once and a while for chipping or flaking and just touch up as necessary...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I went with red to match my red badges. I don't know what would look the best with your setup. Pretty much any colour can work.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with red to match my red badges. I don't know what would look the best with your setup. Pretty much any colour can work.
Well I'm not planning on doing any other color on the outside. I thought red maybe since it has the red interior lights... However I'm going with black badges and really like the black/dark look.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts