Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I set out today to try and find a way to make the foglights an option even if the lights are off. So I pulled the foglight relay in the engine and took some readings with the power, and switch, in different states. As it turns out, they don't change at all. So my endeavor was short lived as it must be something in the steering wheel switch itself that allows them to come on.

For those interested, if you pull the foglight relay in the engine bay (it's light blue), and you hold the relay with the lettering on the LEFT hand side you will see something like this (they aren't lining up quite right, but it's supposed to be two vertical directly over two horizontal):

_
_
| |

As it turns out, the top blade and bottom right blade receive 12v at all times. Whether the lights are on or off, and foglights on or off, it's continuous. The other two blades remain negative at all times as well. So this leads me to believe that the switch on the steering column is what is controlling if the foglights can come on by themselves, or only with the headlights.

What I can't figure out, is how when Soar4fun ran a wire providing power to the bottom left blade, the foglights are now DRL's. I simply can't wrap my head around why this works. Any electrical gurus out there that understand how these things work?? I would love to figure out a way to make them a switchable light source at all times and not just DRL.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
This is the only thing I found on Kia Global Information System (KGIS)

Front Fog Lamp Relay
1. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal.
2. Pull out the front fog lamp relay(A) from the engine compartment relay box.
3. Check for continuity between terminals. There should be continuity between the No.87 and No.30 terminals when power and ground are connected to the No.85 and No.86 terminals.
4. There should be no continuity between the No.87 and No.30 terminals when power is disconnected.

Hope it helps...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I also found this... There are two wires that go to the fog lamp switch: 5 & 6 ... there's even rear fogs in this car (I've never heard of this on any car, must be for a forte in some other country)...

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
If you have a forte sx, the signal from the switch goes trough a computer and then the fog lights. I'll give you the wires tonight... The switch sends a ground signal to the module and then that module sends another ground signal to the fog lamp relay. You would have to remove the radio to get acces to that module and remove both wire from there connectors to make a direct connection. I think leaving both wires in place and adding a tap between them will create a diag code. But I'm sure this is only a programmable parameter that only Kia tech could remove. Matemort had the auto lock feature remove at the dealership so I think a lot can done without doing any wire mods...

·
Registered
165 Posts
if you can isolate what wires going up your steering column are the positive and negative for the fogs, you can always buy an aftermarket switch and splice in some new wires to the new switch.... unless it's super complicated and all controlled by a computer and ONLY will turn on when the lights are on in the computer.... that would be complicated.... that's why it's gonna be so much easier to put in aftermarket fogs haha.

·
Registered
576 Posts
On my Aussie Koup the fog lights work without the headlights having to be turned on, but the park lights have to be on. On my previous EX Forte I wired up new fog lights myself, I just used an after market wiring kit. I put the switch unerneath the coin pocket, it was no hassel turning fog lights on

·
Registered
348 Posts
Luckily, Kia engineered this 'easily' so this ain't rocket science. Take the Yellow wire that runs into the DRL resistor (which is on the lower firewall, deep passenger's side) and cut it. Butt a new wire to it, and run it over to the fog light. Tap that new wire into the orange wire on the back of the fog light. I know it sounds 'too simple' but follow me on this...

Now what you have is instead of the power from the DRL module going to the resistor and then running to the high beam lights, you've made it run straight to the fog lights (and because the two lights are parallelled back at the fuse box you WILL get both lights on with just the one connector). When you have your headlights on, the DRL source will be off, so you still have control over if the fogs are on or off.

One wire, one butt connector, one ScotchLok, and it's done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have tried the fog light drl fuel pump mod.

My fogs come on whenever my engine is on, - I dont know much about electronic but pretty much fuel pump is on when car is on, and thus sends a signal to the fog light relay.

Search for the fog light DRL mod, you'll find it, and its easy to do without splicing any wires.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't get why you would want your fogs on 24/7. Technically it's illegal in my area (and quite likely, your's), and most people are concerned with getting more amperage to the fuel pump, and here you are drawing off it, instead? Just illogical to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It is all about the looks. LOL.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thread is here:
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/277-fog-lamp-mod-drl.html

I'm not sure why fogs as drls would be illgeal - i mean a car with lights on would be more safe than one without, there are a few cars that have fogs as drls such as the dodge neon, infinity fx35 (im pretty sure) and others.

Im in canada, so I have my highbeams on (i think running at a lower wattage for drls) and the fogs.

Im not a machanic and I have no idea how this would affect my fuel pump system, but as far as I know its just getting a signal from the pump - not taking any power from it. Feel free let me know if this could dammage my relay or electrical system.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^^^but when you actually turn high beams on to use them. If you fog lights stay on you are breaking the Highway traffic act. You are only allowed to have 4 lights of a certain wattage on at any given time. If my understanding is correct.

Strength of front lamps
(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

Right from the e-laws website.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Also - Fogs stay on when you flash your highbeams with this mod.

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^^^^but when you actually turn high beams on to use them. If you fog lights stay on you are breaking the Highway traffic act. You are only allowed to have 4 lights of a certain wattage on at any given time. If my understanding is correct.

Strength of front lamps
(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

Right from the e-laws website.

Not sure if this is true or not, but if so this mod is only illgeal if I flash highbeam, else (unless someone corrects me) it's not illgeal?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I did say only when you are using your high beams, did I not?

·
Registered
284 Posts
"^^^^^but when you actually turn high beams on to use them. If you fog lights stay on you are breaking the Highway traffic act. "

My Apologies Fox.

I had mis-read your post. indeed you did clearly state what I had questioned afterwards.

I'm glad we agree than.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wrote was the one to do the Fog light fuel pump relay mod. I also did this 3 yrs ago on my sorie with no problems. Just don't flash the Po-Po!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wrote was the one to do the Fog light fuel pump relay mod. I also did this 3 yrs ago on my sorie with no problems. Just don't flash the Po-Po!

Thanks Soar4fun.

I have had this mod for 6+months with no problems to my engine starting up (fuel pump).

Sometimes one of my fogs wont turn on but thats because I need a relay harness for my fog hids.

Again im not a machanic - im sure there is a possibility that the fuel pump may fry or the fog light relay blow up - but so far nothing wrong.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Luckily, Kia engineered this 'easily' so this ain't rocket science. Take the Yellow wire that runs into the DRL resistor (which is on the lower firewall, deep passenger's side) and cut it. Butt a new wire to it, and run it over to the fog light. Tap that new wire into the orange wire on the back of the fog light. I know it sounds 'too simple' but follow me on this...

Now what you have is instead of the power from the DRL module going to the resistor and then running to the high beam lights, you've made it run straight to the fog lights (and because the two lights are parallelled back at the fuse box you WILL get both lights on with just the one connector). When you have your headlights on, the DRL source will be off, so you still have control over if the fogs are on or off.

One wire, one butt connector, one ScotchLok, and it's done.

anyone willing to try this. sounds really good, like really really good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts