Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2 Steel Grey
428 Posts
tc0566 - where is the "activation" switch located - in the transmission selector? I.E. what turns on the camera in the monitor when you shift into reverse?
Could not locate an actual activator, this is why I believe the CAN system actually tells the radio to activate camera. Also believe it operates the power loss nag. Even with power constant on both ignition and ACC wires still have the power loss nag pop up on the screen. I was trying to convert a 2019 5 inch to the 7 inch. Only 2 wires that I couldn't get to work were the CAN because the 5 inch didn't have them in the original harness. The 5 inch has an actual camera detect wire at pin 36 but the 7 inch screen does not have this. The pics above are 2017 7 inch. Connection pin for 2019 7 inch are this....
Font Pattern Rectangle Number Parallel

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can send you a zip file with XPS pics of all the radio's and pin outs for 2017 and 2019 if you need them.
This is 2019 5 inch pin layout ... notice pin 36... and no connector C...
Font Number Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also 2017 had 2 different radios one with camera and one without camera. No camera detect wire in either one. For the camera model it had Connector C just for the camera. Can high for that radio is pin 1 of Connector B and Pin 13 of Connector B for Can Low. CAN are the same pins on both radios.
Font Pattern Rectangle Number Parallel

·
Registered
428 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing does this sound like It should work with the above pin set. Constant power to camera from pin 10. Ground pin 11. Camera video imput pin 4. Camera video ground pin 3. Once I have that set Can low pin 13 grounded and then by getting the right volts to pin 1b when it's in reverse that is what will tell the radio to switch to camera view.
NO volts to CAN..that is a data link between the radio and the ECU. I have seen people put voltage to that and fry it....DO NOT PUT VOLTAGE TO ANY CAN WIRES!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does your original radio and the vehicle have Connector C... your 2018 radio is sending your camera signal and all wires to Connector C.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That last pin out in your post appears to be the pinout for the 2017 7 inch radio. The radio uses 3 sets of CAN wires. Does your car have connector C to plug into the new radio? Don't actually plug it in. The Can system may not even be compatible between the 2 years. Your car has Can high but that may or may not be the body CAN. It could in all actuality be the ECU CAN. If you have eliminated the power nag then get an aftermarket camera and use the brake light wire in the trunk for camera trigger. You lose steering lines but you'll have a working camera without taking a chance on frying your ECU.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well that I can't answer to. I got into those settings in my 2019 but on restart it reverts to original settings nothing would save. But I didn't see those settings for camera in mine. I suggest seeing if anything you change will actually save. If so try camera direct. Did you get your USB working for Android auto and carplay and did you get an aftermarket GPS sensor for that. I did get all that working on mine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes I got everything working. Gps ,usb and aux jack. I connected pin 33 to power wire and it keeps the settings. Also keeps the battery drain message away. I went into engineering mode and there's a setting to turn that message off and pin to power kept the settings. I just went into the camera type settings and the options are there but it doesn't let me change the type. I may see if it's something the dealer knows about.
I found the same setting in mine for the power nag, but on mine it reset to default on every restart. Glad you got it working on yours. Dealer was of no help to me on mine. Just be careful not to power the CAN wires and see what dealer says. Might be easier to use aftermarket camera...or not, depending on if able to trigger with this radio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts