Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT-Line 2.0L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to help someone move a long way and I'm trying to figure out if my 2021 Kia "GT-Line" with 2.0 l four banger is remotely capable of hauling a small trailer 800 or so miles. I've never used a trailer before, so I'm not sure of any potential gotchas, or if the engine is even remotely capable of hauling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback! That's unfortunate, but I was already dubious about hauling any serious weight with this little car. Sadly my friend can't afford a cargo truck, so they'll have to leave a good bit behind.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,140 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback! That's unfortunate, but I was already dubious about hauling any serious weight with this little car. Sadly my friend can't afford a cargo truck, so they'll have to leave a good bit behind.
Been there before...

Nice that you want to help.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Guys? What is wrong with you?

Any car can tow almost anything.
Nowadays, no car in the USA (with the accent on USA) except trucks are "allowed" to tow.

I pulled 2000 lb loads with Forte5 no problem. And both (AT and MT) worked just fine.
I tow with Bolt, although it says it is not designed to tow.

The thing is - if you never towed before or you are expecting the car with a trailer to handle like without one - forget about towing and stop reading here.

The problem is two fold here.
Americans love driving fast with trailers. They can barely drive as is... yet when towing they expect to go 80 mph on the highway. Then, the trailers are never small, because they always need a big one.
Why? Heck I know...

The result is - if you need to tow a lot and you want to do it fast, your weight distribution must be shifted towards the car. Hence, to tow 2000 lb you must put on the hitch 200-400 lb load. It is insane weight for a Forte. If you were to tow it in Europe, the rules say to balance the trailer and put about 5% on the hitch. That makes only 100 lb, which is fine.
However, by doing that your speed is limited to 45 mph.

So, is the car capable of doing - heck yeah.
Can YOU do it - that is not up to me to decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@PLP Problem here is that at 45 mph the trip would take two days, two days that I don't have. So it'll have to be using the available cargo space. Which brings me to the question...what are the actual dimensions of the trunk and back seat? I see 15.3 cubic feet but that doesn't tell me how many 24" x 18" x 12" bins will fit in said space.

Does anyone have the actual measurements of the trunk, and maybe the rear seats too?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
440 Posts
Fold the rear seats down, get inside the trunk with your tape measure and flashlight and measure it yourself. I'd assemble one box and do a test fit to start with. Good luck getting much in that trunk. They're not really designed for moving.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The caveat of not recommending towing is because of the CVT. I somewhat agree to PLP, it can be done even so, but I'd be cautious with maximum weights.
What I don't get though, you cannot just put a trailer to the car. I don't understand how buying and having a trailer hitch installed for a one time transport is cheaper than renting a u-haul.

Reactions: PLP and Smooth1

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
@PLP Problem here is that at 45 mph the trip would take two days, two days that I don't have. So it'll have to be using the available cargo space. Which brings me to the question...what are the actual dimensions of the trunk and back seat? I see 15.3 cubic feet but that doesn't tell me how many 24" x 18" x 12" bins will fit in said space.

Does anyone have the actual measurements of the trunk, and maybe the rear seats too?
the 45 mph only applies to heavy loads where 5% is on the hitch.
If you put 800 lb load and drop 20% on the hitch (160 lb) you can easily go 65 mph.

However, in general - when you are towing, you are going slower. Period. No cars, except semis, were designed to tow at full speed and behave same as without the trailer.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,140 Posts
Maximum weight limits are often ignored when towing. Typically they load the car with as much as they can and then attach a trailor. They end up way over the maximum weight the car is engineered for.

It's one thing when that is all that you can do...it's another when you don't need to do this!

·
Registered
2016 forte 4 dr
104 Posts
It's not so much if the car will tow it, regardless of what the OM says, it's how you'll STOP that extra weight.
Especially in a panic situation.
What is your weight estimate of the trailer + its load?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts