Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was getting my leased Forte Koup SX 7 months ago, I asked about the remote starter option. First off, it's grossly overpriced when you buy from dealership for $500, and only has a range of 500 ft. That's pathetic compared to the Viper remote starter I installed on my old 2000 Toyota Echo for $300, and which has a 2,000 ft. range.

Not to mention, the key fob looks like crap.

When I murmured that I would go get it installed myself, the guy told me that it would void my warranty, and that I can't make modifications to a leased car. I understand the logic, since you're essentially renting. But I'm going to have this car for another 2.5 years. That's two more winters and summers. I'd really like to get a remote starter installed. But I really don't want to spend such an exorbitant amount of money on such an inefficient (not to mention, ugly) remote starter.

I know any A/V car shop worth their salt can uninstall the remote starter if I needed them to (namely before I turn it back in), but will they do any significant wire changes that would make the original key fob unusable? In short, have any of you made changes to a leased car? Do you know the implications? Are they talking out of their asses when they say my warranty would be voided?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Admittedly I have never leased a car, but I would think that lease paperwork said something about modifications. If its not clear it doesn't hurt to ask the dealership. You want to install a starter not a turbo. They may not mind.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i think up to a certain extent.

to be safe, i wouldnt do too much extreme stuff but the stuff you do, make sure you're able to return it to factory state. spoiler that requires drilling... id say a definite no. pinstriping on the grill? go for it. new wheels? hell ya but keep the old ones to put back on. i personally dont see the point in putting money into a leased car because you dont own it and will have to return it but small stuff would be fine. :)

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
and on another note, just because you get an alarm or remote starter or a stereo put in the car, doesnt mean the warranty is voided.
first, a problem has to happen
second, it has to have some sort of connection to the remote starter.
third, they have to provide physical proof that the remote starter caused the defect. if they can't then they must fix the problem under warranty.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a lease and i have replace shifter knob, audi headlight mod, i plan on doing HIDs and fogs and exhuast. I really want the SXR but its soo expensive for just a axle back so i might get the solo perf..... but i plan on buying mine out at the end... i only leased it because its less per month ($190) and ill save up to put a downpayment on the rest that i owe. Iv brought it to the dealership and they have never said anything about any of the mods i have done.

Also my dealership does their remote starts through another shop. The shop has someone come down to the dealership and install the remote start and its 237$ idk what kind it is i will call and find out tomorrow and get back to you. But if my shop would do it and it dosent void lease idk why it would at yours... its all the same lease paperwork

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Usually the lease agreement says something to the effect of you will have to pay for damages upon return. If you return it with the windows tinted and HID headlights, I highly doubt they would charge you for it. All they're going to do is turn around and resell it. Having those improvements would likely help them sell the car quicker. They just don't want to have to do a bunch of bodywork or replace seats with holes in them before they are able to resell the car after it is returned. As far as voiding the warranty, what Aidensgrand said.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm not sure if you can our not. But just wondering. . . .Why would you want to put in all the work and then have to turn the car back in. But there is always the buy back option at the end of the lease period. . . . Wait ^^^^^haydenks beat me to that one. . .Oh well. Now you've heard it twice :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts