Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my Kia Forte Koup Sx brand new, everything looked great; however, I happened to now notice that there are these side protectors on both sides of my car that are in front of the back wheels, of which one of them has an air bubble on the top edge of it:

Zoomed out (http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5139/img0010l.jpg)
Zoomed in (http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9720/img0009sv.jpg)

1. What are these tiny side protector films for? Do I need them?
2. Can I take it off and expect that it will not peel off any paint / leave any glue or should I take it to my dealer and ask them to replace them with new ones?

Thank you in advance :)!

2,213 Posts
pull em right off, thats for shipping, the dealer is actually supposed to take em off. which pretty much means your car just showed up that day!

·
Registered
318 Posts
they are rock chip guards.... take them off if you want they dont really do anything in the spots they are at

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I took them off!

@shattered.stars

I read that post a little too late, however I'm not too worried about it either. I just wanted to know what they were and if I could take them off. However, just in case, do you know where I may find some protective film? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Yeah, your car will certainly survive without them. If you wanted to replace them later you would probably have to go with clear film. Unless you can order color matched from KIA I wouldn't think you could find them out in the wild.

·
Registered
318 Posts
lol im pretty sure 3m makes stuff like this so you should be ok

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
mine wasnt color coded. i was wondering what the hell it was cuz it was starting to turn yellow :eek:

so after reading the thread i went and took them off and mine was just a clear piece and it looks better cuz now its the same color of the car rather than a yellowish color :p

·
Registered
288 Posts
I only just found out what these were while I was getting a flat fixed at the dealer (supposedly under the tire / wheel warranty, but for some reason it wasn't on my file, grrrr.... they are getting it fixed now) - the salesman who gave me the keys when I picked the car up didn't have a clue what they were...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
They are clear transparent film sheets. Very similar to 3M if that isn't who supplied them to Kia. They have really helped on my car and I wish they were a bit bigger since they are very marked up now from road debris and the paint that was not covered is chipped and scarred now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No one really directly answered the question. Yes you can take them off. Use a hair dryer, warm up piece and it will peel off. Goo be gone, rubbing alcohol, gasoline, etc, etc will remove any residue. Then wash and wax those spots.

I removed them off my car, and didn't damage it.

·
Banned
75 Posts
are they really that big of a distraction? I mean, really. I noticed mine on day 1, but I knew what they were.... oh well to each his own :)

OH WAIT.... REMOVE AND GET 5 MORE HORSEPOWER!!!!!! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.