Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to pop of the Silver part of the black and silver stock rims on the SX Forte Koup?

:)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,836 Posts
Haven't done it, but they appear to be plastic silver inserts so they probably can be popped off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes they come off with 3 screws. I did them today, Over the Winter i'm sending them out to be painted candy Red, Should go good with my black SX koup

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Spoke Wheel

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,836 Posts
Yes they come off with 3 screws. I did them today, Over the Winter i'm sending them out to be painted candy Red, Should go good with my black SX koup

View attachment 32
Should be interesting...make sure you post a pic of them on your Koup!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody for your advice!!!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
WOW!! Good info!
I'll do mine in copperhead. Will be a free mod 'cause I work for a paint co. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you do solid black, you might want to make sure you can exactly match the other black on the wheels or it might look a little weird with two shades of black....

·
Registered
486 Posts
anyone good with photoshop? would like to see "pre" look pics of the cars with the silver part painted to match. I think it would be cool but maybe to much of one color? I actually spent hours the other nite on the web looking for rims that i like better than the stock ones but couldnt find any. I only wish that you could get the carbon fiber rims that the concept had on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I removed the plastic pieces tonight when I put my winter tires on and it looks soo much better IMO. There are little holes from where the screws went through but it's hard to see them unless your up close. I'm only running these during the winter and buying some 18's in the spring.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hmmm, that is very interesting. Yet another thing to contemplate....thanks for bringing it up!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I figured it'd be easier to post to this, than start a new thread. I'm all about efficiency. Ha Anyhow, I'm wanting to paint these plastic inserts Racing Red to match my Koup, but have no real experience with painting plastic. For all the guru's out there, what would be the best (and most permanent) way to accomplish this? Since they are exposed to the elements, I'm assuming there has to be some sort of special method to this to keep the paint from simply flaking off... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What a trip they bothered to do this... Why not just paint the rim as such (which is what I thought was the case, boy was I wrong!)...?

All black would look good on a silver Koup...

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Here's mine ......... not on the Koup yet because they forcast snow for the weekend:mad:
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke
The pic look crapy though! (cel phone pic)

Since the plastic is already paint you just want to make sure your new paint will stick to it, not to plastic!
I use ENDURA two pack Polyurethane wich is a refinish fleet and car paint. It cost something like 100$ for a liter (copper is especialy expensive). I got for free since I work for a paint Co. that distribute ENDURA paint. No prep beside a good cleaning.
Next I'll try to paint the valve cover!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, you would have to scuff up the plastic with some 220 grit and then get a good plastic primer. I would do two light coats of primer rather than one heavy coat. Then you can buy some wheel paint.
Wheel Coating

Again 2-4 light coats. Dont wait for it to dry completely so that the paint sticks to itself. After it is all painted up, they also make a clear coat for rims. 2-3 Light coats of that.

This is what I used on my SRT 4 rims and it worked great and didnt peel. It is chemical resistant, salt resistant and heat resistant.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts