Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rock auto and all the parts stores show a spin on oil filter only. I have a cartridge style filter. What is the deal with this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry wrong car. I confused the Forte with the Rio. It's my 2020 Rio that shows only spin on filters available when I have a cartridge.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,403 Posts
LOL! I see the Rio filters from $14 to $44 EACH!!! How is it that a filter without a metal can around it is twice as expensive as a steel covered filter?!?!

Font Line Automotive tire Office supplies Parallel

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2019 Forte 2.0L is very easy to service. I don't know why Kia had to change things up by adding the cartridge filter to the 2020 Rio 1.6L. You are correct, the prices are all over the place for these...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
I'm not sure why Kia changed it up on some of the models. That filter only appears to fit the models below so far. Hopefully Kia doesn't push this change to other models.
Font Rectangle Pattern Number Circle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea this really bothers me. What if someone needs to go to a quicklube place to get an oil change done? These cartridges take some paying attention to. It's very easy to misalign the rubber seals and get a leak. This could be catastrophic if not caught soon. I'm just not seeing the cost/benefit for this change. My Forte is way easier and takes any guess work out of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What if someone needs to go to a quicklube place to get an oil change done?
any number of things can happen at a quick lube joint. If you care about your car you'll do the oil change yourself or at the very least take it to your mechanic of choice. I haven't used quick lube places much but probably 50% of the time they ended up doing something stupid. (too much oil, stripped drain plugs, etc)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,403 Posts
My wife and I looked at a Stinger with the 2.5T engine - it has the same asinine filter cartridge. This fact alone prevented me from considering the car for my wife...

The Chevy Cobalt engines used this type of filter - just a cartridge. The incredibly stupid part of this filter was that when you removed it NOTHING prevented the trash in the filter from coming off and dripping into the engine's filter opening as you took the filter out!!! I cursed Chevy each and every time I changed the oil.

It was also messy:

Coil Motor vehicle Auto part Wire Machine

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
87 Posts
My wife and I looked at a Stinger with the 2.5T engine - it has the same asinine filter cartridge. This fact alone prevented me from considering the car for my wife...
Even the 3.3L uses a cartridge filter as well. Not sure what Kias reason is when shifting to these when they've been using the same filter on nearly every car for 8-9+ years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any number of things can happen at a quick lube joint. If you care about your car you'll do the oil change yourself or at the very least take it to your mechanic of choice. I haven't used quick lube places much but probably 50% of the time they ended up doing something stupid. (too much oil, stripped drain plugs, etc)
Just thinking out loud in case someone has to use a place like that. I agree, I have never used ANY business to change my oil. Heck I send oil samples to the lab to see how the oil is holding up. I also don't trust anyone else to do it. I have seen way too many stripped oil drain plugs and over tightened filters over the years.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
288 Posts
I don't take my car places. I've had way too many stripped drain plugs, overtightened filters, and even a couple of crushed filters from the knuckleheads cranking them down with a filter wrench. Everything gets done myself, so I know it's done right. The cartridge filters are kind of a bummer, not only because they are more expensive, but they also make kind of a mess when you change them and it's really easy to get the o ring in the wrong place, causing leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are interested in a 2022 Forte in another year or so. Hopefully those don't have the cartridge filter yet. This Rio filter has two o-rings. One for the main filter body and another one for the removable drain nipple. The small one is the more difficult one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are interested in a 2022 Forte in another year or so. Hopefully those don't have the cartridge filter yet. This Rio filter has two o-rings. One for the main filter body and another one for the removable drain nipple. The small one is the more difficult one.
Am I the only one who loves cartridge filters? My other car (2003 vw Jetta) has a cartridge filter and it's the easiest thing to change. I don't know how you can mess it up

I ordered a 2022 forte base model like 6 weeks ago. No word on when it will be here yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts