Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Forte Koup last week and love it. How do I keep this factory shine though, I went to Walmart and saw a whole aisle full of car waxes - completely overwhelmed!!!

What wax does everyone recommend or use?? Is there any methods I should learn or know to keep the factory shine for the lifetime of my car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally i think there are a lot of options out there...... you could spend a ton of money on "high quality" waxes like Mothers or Meguiars with their multi-part systems, by the time you get to all of them, you'll have spent $200+

Then, there is the "chemical" options that the dealerships use. They give a high-quality shine, but left a greasy residue after your car gets dirty. These are also rumored to clog up and not allow the paint to breathe properly.

I was once told that with a clear coat finish, you do NOT need ANY wax or other car products. You just need to wash your car regularly, and your clear coat will be fine.

My recommendation: use what the factory recommended: your clear-coat finish. Don't bother with scams offered by Mothers, Meguiars, Zymol, chemicals, or anything else....... just wash your car with normal, non-chemical, car-wash safe, soap on a regular basis.

My $0.02

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the owner's manual: "Wax the vehicle when water will no longer bead on the paint. . . Use a good quality liquid or paste wax, and follow the manufacturers instructions. Wax all metal trim to protect it and to maintain its luster."

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I personally think you should wax any car twice a year. Once in the spring and once again in the fall. I stand by Mothers products as they are easy to use, fairly cheap and seem to have a good result.

I start by washing the car with hot water + dove dishwasher soap. This makes sure to get all chemicals/dirt/etc off the car. Then I use 2 coats of Mothers pre-wax, 2 coats of wax, and 2 coats of sealant and glaze. It usually takes me a full day to do it all but then end results are amazing. The paint looks like glass with a perfect mirror finish.

I don't agree with any of the dealership's 'super products' that make it so you never have to wax the car again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Here's a tip before waxing. Put your hand inside a plastic bag (Zip Lock) and gently run your hand across the paint if it feels real rough i would suggest useing a Clay Bar befor polishing...IMO only :D Even newly shipped cars are filthy and pitted with dirt and grime..Just try the bag trick before you judge it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using a group of products manufactured by a company called 4 Star Products based in Bradenton Florida. The product line called Ultima is spectacular, easy to use and gives a great long lasting finish. They have a website Four Star Products - Ultimate Automotive & Boat Care
Worked for a firm that not only sold the stuff but used it when we detailed customers cars and the customers loved the final look.
It may seem expensive but a little goes a long way and the cost per application is minimal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Carnauba wax is the only thing I use, the chemical waxes are too harsh sometimes, and too expensive, though some are easier to apply. for my 99 olds i just use turtle wax's carnauba. for the new koup I'll probably switch to mother's california gold, you can get it from amazon pretty cheap.

though I don't think you need the certified organic carnuaba wax, not kidding...

I'll have to check out the bag thing ratdaddy, your skin absorbs all the imperfections too easily to feel usually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've also used Mothers waxes on all my cars also. I love their product, easy to apply and take off. Leaves an outstanding shine that most cars in the showroom would be jealous of.

Does anyone use a buffer to put on and off the wax or just use the good old fashioned elbow grease method?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts