Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks!!

I´m really thinking about installing a carputer on my forte with the software "centrafuse 3", has anyone tried anything like this?? I´m amazed with the possibilities , GPS, bletooth , digital tv, satellite radio, and whatever else you can think about just plug it into a usb.. its a full pc :)

First of all i need to find a decent 2 din dash tray ... my forte is a 2010 and I would like to keep the same dark grey color .. any ideia where can i find it?

Second, If i Install the carput will I loose my steering wheel audio controls?

Third, Is it possible to integrate a carputer + kia forte original cd player??

Here is a link to a centrafuse video demo:

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes yes..

its all touchscreen man!! .. the carputer is a windows based software developed to run on carpcs ...

you can even try their demo:

Centrafuse | A Whole New Way

Im really tempted to do this.. my only concern is about the looks in the forte panel ... because i think that the original sound system is very stilysh!

and I also want to find a 2 DIN trim that matches my original one!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
that is what alot of people want. its not out there yet as far as this forum can find.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
UVO is a very limited unit in terms of power and features. This Centrafuse looks much more robust. Maybe install a netpad unit into the dash? Problem is most netpad's are 10inch which would be too big to fit the console.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If I were to ever invest in changing audio as well did in our Mustang. I would definiatly go the carputer route. This way you get exactly what you want and would be total different from everyone else.

·
Registered
708 Posts
carputers are sick.. you could do a netbook and use the monitor out to a touch screen and mount that in your dash.. goto mp3car.com i think

Monitors and Touchscreens

they have a bunch of stuff to do this .. :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That would be sick having the carputer to also display your OBDII info and tuning setup.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
carputers are sick.. you could do a netbook and use the monitor out to a touch screen and mount that in your dash.. goto mp3car.com i think

Monitors and Touchscreens

they have a bunch of stuff to do this .. :D

Damn, you read my mind! With how cheap a pretty decent netbook is these days...... WOW the possibilities are endless. Need to find out what connections are required for amp/sub outs though, other then that.....

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
LOL, alright an update for all you geeks out there. Here is something you may find interesting. Extremely compact system that could be easily adapted into a carputer with a external touch screen.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QUObl5lSRQQ3lSqJ

Just simply doing a google search and finding plenty for under $300. Could probably be fit inside your dash if you really wanted. Needs a little more playing with, but some definite possibilities here.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
LOL, alright an update for all you geeks out there. Here is something you may find interesting. Extremely compact system that could be easily adapted into a carputer with a external touch screen.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee - EeeBox PC B202

Just simply doing a google search and finding plenty for under $300. Could probably be fit inside your dash if you really wanted. Needs a little more playing with, but some definite possibilities here.
This is the one you'd most likely go for if going this route since you'd want Windows 7 and the newer and faster tech in this version would handle it better without input lag.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee - EeeBox PC EB1501

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
w00t! obd2 wont void warranty!! mp3car.com look on i and it might have what you want

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Ok, question, would you do a full head unit replacement or what?? I mean, if your gonna put a carputer in, wouldn't you want to add in new speakers/amp & subs? That is probably the rout I'm gonna take, what are your opinions?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Another problem that could cause an issue.... Sure you can get an LCD screen mounted in-dash w/ the dash kits they are coming out with now, however where are you gonna put the cd player and other media inputs? Are you gonna custom fabricate your own dash? And if you wanted to maintain your steering wheel controls, how would you go about doing that with a carputer?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^^ Go to mp3car.com and look around their website. You should be able to find all information you need. As for audio imputs. Who uses cds any more. If you build a carputer you add a wifi card and then transfer files to the internal harddrive for playback. You could still add usb ports for portability.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I kept my stock HU. I love it. My laptop for my carPC is under the driver seat. Ive run a multiconnection hub to the console to plug in phones and memory. To turn on the computer ive made it so the power switch on my latitude port replicator is right under the seat adjustment lever. All i have to do is reach down and press the button. If i need to mess with discs I go into the back seat and have access to my rom drive under the seat. CDs and DVD are a waste of my time so i dont use them anyway.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts