Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I LOVE my Forte and want to keep her clean.

I just bought it (haven't undercoated yet) about 2 weeks ago.

I'm really looking forward to waxing her as it's my first real "New Car"

I've always paid cash for older models and sadly neglected them in the past :eek:

So, can I bring my baby to an Autowash or do-it-yourself car wash bay during the bitter cold Canadian winter?

It's -25 degrees Celcius today, will I run the risk of something freezing or rusting?

Also, should I wait until spring to wax?

Sorry about having such newbie questions, I just want the best for my Forte!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just do Petrocanada car wash during winter. I've tried the coin one but had the water freezing my car.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You are saying (negative) -25 degrees. WOW!!!!!!!! It's a wonder you gas does freeze. :) Yeah your baby might have to go through an ugly faze for a while until it warms up. .WOW!!!! negative 25. . .What's that like -13 degress F. . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not like that in all of Canada haha, I am in Vancouver Canada and, well, winter never does hit us here as many know. But in regards to the freezing temperatures, you just want to be careful your weatherstripping doesnt freeze to the door/glass. That could be ugly. Plus it is a nuisance if water freezes in the key hole for the door. The good thing about drive through car washes is the under body spray to get rid of salt, which I imagine is all over the roads in your cold part of the country. If you do wash it, make sure to really dry off any weatherstripping etc. Dont know if this helps, I always wash my car by hand, but then again, I can also cut my grass in January.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robsin,

I hate you ;)

I'm in Nova Scotia and when we get cold bouts, (like the last two months) Windchill will dip us below -25 to -30

It's bitter wicked silly cold your nose freezes shut and you the wind takes your breath away.

So I won't hurt my paint (again hasn't been waxed yet) if I taker though a auto wash and then drive into antartic like weather?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nope shouldnt hurt the paint. It is always good to wash the car somehow in the winter, as the salt and sand could do damage to the paint over time. I would bring it in as soon as you can for the undercoating though, helps with protection, but also road noise reduction, plus they will probably wash your car too :). Rule of thumb too, I usually wax my car late fall before winter to add protection to the paint and also in the spring to renew it after winter weather and as a prep for harsh UV in the spring and summer.

I do have to admit though, it is cold today here in Vancouver sitting at about 6 degrees celsius, but then for you that might be down right balmy haha. Hope I helped. Take care and keep warm.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I washed mine in pretty cold weather more than once, i usually keep the car running, and i usually hand dry it before driving off, one day i forgot and got some frozen wanter spots that melted the next day, so i just went over it with detailing spray.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I wash it in any temps here be it +35 or -35C but I also drive it straight to my underground parking afterwards so my doors don't freeze. :) I recommend to wash it in a DIY so you can towel it dry especially the door seals and use the air hose to get the water out of the mirrors and locks. My mom washed her car a month ago and her driver mirror popped out while driving one day due to the water freezing behind the mirror. She has Ford stationwagon not a Forte.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As someone who gets to hand people rather expensive estimates for damage done to cars washed on cold days... I'm going to say PLEASE wash your car in the cold! You are bound to damage something and that's just more money in my greedy little pocket. I've got a house and family to feed, too.

Typical issues are door handles freezing to the door (can't get in), water going down inside the door into the lock mechanism and freezing the lock on (again, door's staying closed), windows freeze shut (no drive thrus!), and doors stick to the body. Gas flaps stick shut (so you reef on the handle and stretch the cable) as well.

Problems can take a few days to manifest, too. Often the water needs a couple of freeze/thaw cycles to work itself into the worst place possible and cause you a headache... and water evaporates REALLY slowly inside a door panel. If you have water in the door latch/lock area it can take several days to get out of there.

So go ahead, wash your car... I'll be waiting at the service counter with a smile on my face.

The above is based on factual events, except for the part where I am a sadistic arse. I actually take very little joy in charging people for being fools.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I take mine to a local car wash called All Pro. I have yet to see any freezing~ but it's definitely a must to at least get your under body washed because of the salt. Corrosion in winter is a huge risk.

Also I usually go about once a week. 5 bucks to make sure theres no salt on my mechanical bits is good enough for me :]

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can only suggest that you turn the heater on full blast so that the warm air can keep the doors from freezing shut and keep a sheet of ice from growing across your windows. During 17 years in Wyoming, I've had many car doors freeze shut, and even some torn door seals out of the deal, so be careful. Make sure to blast your fender wells, wheels and as much of the underbody as you can, and be careful....at those temps, a thin layer of ice can form on your brake rotors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts