Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running a quality catch can that doesn't break the bank? I'm looking for one that can be mounted in several places, possibly universal. I won't be able to mount it where thr intake goes since I am looking to get the Takeda 2 intake. The ADD-W1 gets pretty expensive. Any pictures or catch can part #'s are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
110 Posts
To add to this question, has anyone with a direct injected Kia/Hyundai engine had any issues with carbon build up? Like has anyone had to do the walnut shell blasting? Or does Kia use a decent oil/air separator to keep the oil out of the intake?

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Catch can is a good idea. Try using the search function, there are quite a few posts including pictures. I did one, too. I bought mine from Aliexpress.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Q: would an oil catch can even help if the vehicle is at 90,000 miles?

I do my best to keep my 2010 Forte Koup sx in good working order thru routine maintenance & care. Also I'm the 4th owner.

I rarely drive it & avoid adding unnecessary miles, wear & tear. I try to keep the driving at 30miles or less a day.

I haven't had the need to take apart & do media blasting/serious carbon deposits cleanings.

I'd love to but don't have the money, tools & garage. I know the timing chain & chin guides need to be replaced with OEM/factory brand new one. I'd do that myself but to chicken sh*t to do that & looks like a pitfa to get in there to remove the cover.

I do have an oil catch can that's from ebay sitting in it's box for a yr.

Anthony

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,410 Posts
Q: would an oil catch can even help if the vehicle is at 90,000 miles?

I do my best to keep my 2010 Forte Koup sx in good working order thru routine maintenance & care. Also I'm the 4th owner.

I rarely drive it & avoid adding unnecessary miles, wear & tear. I try to keep the driving at 30miles or less a day.

I haven't had the need to take apart & do media blasting/serious carbon deposits cleanings.

I'd love to but don't have the money, tools & garage. I know the timing chain & chin guides need to be replaced with OEM/factory brand new one. I'd do that myself but to chicken sh*t to do that & looks like a pitfa to get in there to remove the cover.

I do have an oil catch can that's from ebay sitting in it's box for a yr.

Anthony
Your 2010 Koup is not GDI so the fuel cleaners in your fuel help to keep the intake valves clean. The fuel injectors spray the fuel before the valves.

A catch can isn't as critical for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using two universal cheapies from eBay (pretty much the same as the AliExpress one). Bought some braided hoses, some colored clamps, brackets. All up it was under $150 AUD. Best investment I could have made. View attachment 82231

The oil in the primary can in just 2 months.

View attachment 82232
So I have almost 30k on my Gt and I have a racechip GTS BLK arriving any day now. I'm just realizing I need to invest in an oil catch can. Why may I ask, do you have two? Are there two points of pvc in the 1.6t?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So I have almost 30k on my Gt and I have a racechip GTS BLK arriving any day now. I'm just realizing I need to invest in an oil catch can. Why may I ask, do you have two? Are there two points of pvc in the 1.6t?
During normal driving the crankcase air is sucked into the intake manifold through the PCV valve - the breather hose provides filtered air for this action.

During WOT/acceleration the PCV is closed and the crankcase air is blown into the breather hose and into the air intake tube.

That is why he has two catch cans, one in the PCV hose and the other in the breather hose.

Arith has reported that his breather hose's catch can is barely collecting oil. Having a catch can in the PCV hose is most beneficial. For high-mileage engines a catch can is a good idea in the breather hose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
During normal driving the crankcase air is sucked into the intake manifold through the PCV valve - the breather hose provides filtered air for this action.

During WOT/acceleration the PCV is closed and the crankcase air is blown into the breather hose and into the air intake tube.

That is why he has two catch cans, one in the PCV hose and the other in the breather hose.

Arith has reported that his breather hose's catch can is barely collecting oil. Having a catch can in the PCV hose is most beneficial. For high-mileage engines a catch can is a good idea in the breather hose.
Ah ok. Thanks for the info and quick reply. Sounds like I can get away with just one catch can for the pcv hose, and potentially get a second one if I end up holding onto the K3 GT long term.?. I plan on leaving the racechip in sport (map3-4) for daily. I only invested in the GTS BLK as with the coupon I had and the sale it was the best value. Also It would be nice to turn it up once in a while if I ever make it to the track for some autocross or something. I come from years of driving Volvos and I really love this car. It's so light and nimble. I enjoy driving it everyday 😁

·
Registered
2016 Forte 2.0
137 Posts
I have a 2016 2.0 and made my own catch jar. It collects a couple ounces between oil changes. I inserted it into the pcv line. Ran the same idea in my 97 Saturn SL for many years.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
104 Posts
Is anyone running a quality catch can that doesn't break the bank? I'm looking for one that can be mounted in several places, possibly universal. I won't be able to mount it where thr intake goes since I am looking to get the Takeda 2 intake. The ADD-W1 gets pretty expensive. Any pictures or catch can part #'s are greatly appreciated.
Here’s the ADD-W1 v3.3 for comparison
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
4 Posts
Are their particular size braided lines you need? Looking to do this on my 2022 gt, seems most things are the same so just needing to get everything together now. Also wondering if the cheaper ones work just as good so long as they have the micron filter on the inside? Also is the check valve for incase the line picks up any fluid or what?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Are their particular size braided lines you need? Looking to do this on my 2022 gt, seems most things are the same so just needing to get everything together now. Also wondering if the cheaper ones work just as good so long as they have the micron filter on the inside? Also is the check valve for incase the line picks up any fluid or what?
SXTH catch can is pricey but has everything you need:

Product Automotive tire Font Rectangle Screenshot

Practically any catch can will work, however.

I believe the one way check valve is for backfires - preventing backfires from getting to the catch can. The PCV valve itself prevents backfires from getting into the engine so another check valve is needed to prevent the backfire from getting to the catch can.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
4 Posts
SXTH catch can is pricey but has everything you need:

View attachment 87546

Practically any catch can will work, however.

I believe the one way check valve is for backfires - preventing backfires from getting to the catch can. The PCV valve itself prevents backfires from getting into the engine so another check valve is needed to prevent the backfire form getting to the catch can.
Ok cool thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
104 Posts
Ok cool thanks a bunch!
At the price of the SXTH unit, I’d suggest the ADD W1. That’s as much as their V3.3, and their basic one is less. They have a dipstick too, very handy. For a universal I’d do Mishimoto, much more inexpensive. With that said I’d completely avoid SXTH for their prices alone, except for the EK1 PRO as they’re the only way to get it. As for backfires, I guess that is possible, but the check valves are for proper Vac line operations after the addition of the can. Lastly, just can the PCV. The CCV doesn’t seem to get nasty at all and can be left plugged into the intake or can just be vented. I vented mine and would suggest relocating it as it’s too close to the HVAC intake and you’ll get fuel smells in the cabin. Mine is next to my intake and all is gtg now.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle

you can see the CCV vent to the right on the intake box

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Lastly, just can the PCV. The CCV doesn’t seem to get nasty at all and can be left plugged into the intake or can just be vented. I vented mine and would suggest relocating it as it’s too close to the HVAC intake and you’ll get fuel smells in the cabin. Mine is next to my intake and all is gtg now.

View attachment 87549
you can see the CCV vent to the right on the intake box
I'd bet the CCV doesn't get dirty because of the newness of these engines. Once the engines get miles on them and the rings have worn enough for blowby to increase I bet the CCV will get dirtier.

This was common on old cars - they had a CCV filter in the air cleaner box - and you never had to replace the filter until the miles racked up and the blowby from the crankcase increased - then you had to replace the filter because it was full of oil.

Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive tire Lens Cameras & optics

Reactions: Arith
1 - 20 of 32 Posts