Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just want to know if it posible to change my rear drum brakes to disc brake and if it is posible how i can do it and where i can get the parts to do it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can i do to change rear drum brakes to disc brakes wath parts do i need and where can i get it for my forte sedan

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
SubtleStyle's got it.

All Fortes, doesn't matter the trim, have four wheel disc.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Hi there, I see you have a Cerato and are in Panama. I assume that the Cerato/Forte sold there have the drums in rear an the LX and maybe the EX.

Unfortunatley, all the Fortes sold in North America came with disk brakes on the rear so we have no experience with doing the drum brake upgrade.

Your best bet is going to find a Cerato with rear disks that has been wrecked and get the rear brake assemblies complete from that.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Ah, yes. Maybe I should look at some members profiles once in a while. Good look Big E. BTW, really nice car Russo, like what you're doing with it.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but, is it possible for us USA owners, to replace our rear rotors and brakes with front ones? i feel like the small ones in the back are hideous and it would look nice if they all matched

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have rear drums then you don't have a Forte. All the Forte's have 10.3" rear solid discs.
Exactly. I just bought mine, and in order to have stability control and 4 wheel ABS u HAVE to have four wheel disc's. (plus it said so on the window sticker...which I am holding in my hand presently). :=)
Also, I would never had bought it with rear drums. BTW, the brakes on mine are FANTASTIC. I know, because I just drove my 2001 Grand Cherokee to Home Depot, and it was like stopping an 18wheeler compared to the Kia. I love the little car more and more each day!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but, is it possible for us USA owners, to replace our rear rotors and brakes with front ones? i feel like the small ones in the back are hideous and it would look nice if they all matched
Thats why I want alloys that do NOT show off the rear brakes.The lightweight see through one's look ridiculous w/ tiny little rotors. It's like "look at me with my cheap little car with 22's" and my 1 inch wide rotors. NO THANKS!!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes my car is a cerato thas the name that kia put it here in panama and they all came with rear drum brakes so i want to change it to disc but i see that anybody have done that :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Measure the caliper mounting tabs distance from the top bolt hole, to the bottom bolt hole. If it's the same as the backs, then your good. I wouldn't recommend it though for two reasons...

1) Car will have an increased brake bias in the back, not good for overall braking performance.
(you can upgrade the fronts with 4 piston calipers and swap the backs with the fronts, to even the bias out)

2) I haven't got the exact BMC bore size, but it may be too small to effectively push 2 sets of front calipers. There is a high chance that it still be strong enough, but agian, I dont have the diameter, so I can't say for certain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly. I just bought mine, and in order to have stability control and 4 wheel ABS u HAVE to have four wheel disc's. (plus it said so on the window sticker...which I am holding in my hand presently). :=)
Also, I would never had bought it with rear drums. BTW, the brakes on mine are FANTASTIC. I know, because I just drove my 2001 Grand Cherokee to Home Depot, and it was like stopping an 18wheeler compared to the Kia. I love the little car more and more each day!
A car doesn't have to have rear discs to have ABS and stability control. My Grand Am way back in 1992 had rear drums and had ABS and stability.

The rear discs are so small on cars to save weight and cost. They don't provide nearly as much stopping power as the front brakes therefore - no need for vented discs because they don't get nearly as hot.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All that would need to be done is source out the parts from a N.American Forte. It will be a straight bolt on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts