Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a kia forte 2018 and I jacked up my car on what I wanna say was the axle that connects to the tire by the front. is this bad? when I lowered it it made some popping noises did I damage my car? I set jack stands under the pinch welds only on the side that was jacked up... everything seems fine but worried I caused damage...trying to understand where the correct place to jack it up at is would greatly appreciate help. thank you.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you mean the 2 things you marked with the blue dots, you're fine. Those aren't the axles. Those are the lower control arms and they are designed to support the weight of the vehicle. The axles are the things above the control arms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you mean the 2 things you marked with the blue dots, you're fine. Those aren't the axles. Those are the lower control arms and they are designed to support the weight of the vehicle. The axles are the things above the control arms.
Thank you for responding. Yeah the 2 things I marked with blue dots, are the popping noises fine? They weren't super loud but it still makes me paranoid. Is this the best place to jack the car up? I found a video someone posted on here and they jacked it up on the lower control arms but further in closer to the center

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you use the jack, I can see in the photo on the left side between the stands? If so, not to worry, this is what happens: Metal to metal, and there is a bit of forward motion by the jack, and that will make that sound. I have bought a puck, which attaches by magnets to the pinchweld, and that's how I jack mine up. And it does make that sound, too. :cool:

Reactions: NovaResource

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you use the jack, I can see in the photo on the left side between the stands? If so, not to worry, this is what happens: Metal to metal, and there is a bit of forward motion by the jack, and that will make that sound. I have bought a puck, which attaches by magnets to the pinchweld, and that's how I jack mine up. And it does make that sound, too. :cool:
View attachment 80736
no, photo is googled image mine was just a regular 2 ton jack from walmart.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
... are the popping noises fine? They weren't super loud but it still makes me paranoid.
Like joachimkazmaier said, it was probably just the car shifting on the jack saddle.

Is this the best place to jack the car up? I found a video someone posted on here and they jacked it up on the lower control arms but further in closer to the center
I tent to jack the car up right where the control arms bolt to the frame. But also like joachimkazmaier said, those pinch weld supports are great and then you jack it up from the side where the factory jack would go.

Reactions: joachimkazmaier

·
Registered
441 Posts
I NEVER use a jack at the pinch welds even where the manual say to. There's no solid metal inside them. They're hollow & will bend/sink inwards when even using the OEM/factory jack from the trunk. I'll only use that if I have a flat in an emergency.

My friend who I bought my Kia from made dents at the front & rear coners of the designated jack points. Now I own the car pisses me off the damage jacking at the pinch welds caused.

Always jack at solid metal that holds from 3 to 6 thousand & + lbs.

I always use the front solid metal beam (where front tow hook is welded) frame & control arms. Same area for the rear, on solid metal/frame.

You can also buy a hockey puck from a sports store. Cut a slot & use on your jack tonuse on the pitch welds.

You can cut & make your own pinch weld out of wood cut a slot to use on the jack tray to lift the car on pinch welds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts