Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it just me or is the factory paint cheap so far i noticed it scratches really easy and chips easily. i have only had the car for a month and already have chips on the hood .

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I have noticed the plastic inside by the ignition key scratches very easy.
And i have had paint problems. My trunk was repainted for free.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've noticed that the paint does seem a little on the cheap side. I even mentioned it to my service guy last week when I had the oil changed. That's when he put me in touch with their touch up guy who fixed the chips, at a price of course. I noticed the interior plastic scratched easily too. I even grab my keys if im going over rough roads to keep them from scratching up the plastic. Not that it helps much but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i have noticed the plastic too, ahh well i love the car i can live with the paint just means i will have to get it resprayed this summer easy fix for better quality paint.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my Koup in October, already has rock chips as well. Got into an arguement with the dealer because they said it's "just one of those things" No way this paint should chip so easily! Class action anyone?:mad:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Got my Koup in October, already has rock chips as well. Got into an arguement with the dealer because they said it's "just one of those things" No way this paint should chip so easily! Class action anyone?:mad:
same here for my front hood. Dealer told me, "if we didn't have already repainted your trunk, we would fix that thing that looks like a rock chip"

Salesman told me to peel off a big spot and then service had to take it in. I said no thanks. And he gave me free touch-up paint.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
yes I have to agree paint is much less then great,
I've been finding serval rock chips on the hood already etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks, new member....Got the car cleaned couple days ago, noticed 2 rust spots near the trunk decal, WTF?? Went to my local dealer, and let the nightmare begin. I already had an outstanding issue with premature wearing of the driver leather seat, new cover has been on order since Dec. no one has ever called me.
When I mentioned the rust out, on my less than 20K Forte SX, the service advisor mentioned that she's not "authorized" to make a warranty determination, wouldn't even get out of her friggin' chair! She mentions that it "may" be covered under the 3yr/60K warranty, but i'd have to wait until April for the new service mgr! FU I say...Sent a terse letter to the GM last night, and I'm contemplating changing dealerships...
So, has anyone else noticed this type of paint failure? I don't want to leave it as the rust will start running, then I'm really going to be pissed!

Thanks all, and thanks for letting me vent!

·
Registered
53 Posts
so I finally had my car washed and took sometime to look at the paint. I also think that my paint had scratches and my hood is already chipped... cheap cheap cheap.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have one right on the very front and center leading edge of my hood. I'm going to take it in when i get a chance and see what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm disappointed in the paint quality as well. Rock chips and scratches scattered around. Some of them make me cringe to look at! :mad:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was reading up on a Hyundai forum (yup I'm considering the new Elantra) and there is also talk there of chips on the paint. Then someone posted that all new cars have to meet some environmental regulations and they use like a water-based type of paint. It obviously chips a lot easier. It's something that all manufacturers have these days, even the very expensive brands. So just protect it as best you can. I would recommend visiting the autopia forum for good car detailing tips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a nice day here so I washed my car, there are two spots right in front of the rear tires where they placed that clear protective tape that are COVERED in rock chips. It literally looks like it was hit with a sandblaster. I can tell that the debris is travelling from the front tires and hitting on the "ridge" just in front of the rear tires. I am finding new chips all over my car every time I wash it. I called KIA customer service and they are contacting the dealership to take pictures and make a decision on whether it should be a covered item. This is clearly a design flaw. I have only had this car since October and it already has more chips in the paint that any other vehicle I have ever owned. Really pissing me off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its a known fact that kia uses thin paint and the thinnest glass on the market it was one of the many ways they could keep the prices so low. Also is why they used the type of headlights. I knew this going into the dealership but thought that if the paint is an issue then it should be covered under warranty.

The 1st day I washed my car a dragged the hose across the hood lightly and it scratched the paint. When I contacted the dealer I was told that if it gets worse they would look at repainting. They were able to buff out 90% of the scratches for me no charge.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was reading up on a Hyundai forum (yup I'm considering the new Elantra) and there is also talk there of chips on the paint. Then someone posted that all new cars have to meet some environmental regulations and they use like a water-based type of paint. It obviously chips a lot easier. It's something that all manufacturers have these days, even the very expensive brands. So just protect it as best you can. I would recommend visiting the autopia forum for good car detailing tips.
I'm actually the founder/admin over at elantraclub.com and yeah, cheap paint was an issue with the last couple generations of Elantra. The new generation has vastly improved paint quality. The issue is a too thin layer of clearcoat. I think KIA is about where Hyundai was, say, 5-6 years ago.

One way you guys can help protect the paint is with a nice coat or two of wax/sealant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts