Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We purchased a used 2014 Kia forte. After driving it 2 days, the "Check Engine" light came on. There is no lemon-law in Missouri, so no take-backs here. :(

We took it to our local mechanic, and he says that both O2 sensors are reporting too lean. They can't find any vacuum leaks, and he doesn't believe both sensors would go out, especially on a car that has only 50k miles on it.

Has anyone seen anything like this? This doesn't require any special gas, does it? We just filled it with Regular (which in Missouri can contain up to 10% ethanol).

Edit:
Sorry - I think I should have posted this in the engine section, but now can't move or delete it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the gas cap, it's fine. We ended up taking it to KIA, and they cleared the code, and said vacuum was good and the O2 sensors were fine. Theorized it was bad gas. I'm not sure that's the case, though.
Drove it around normally for a while, and it didn't come back on.
However, I ended up punching the gas to catch up to someone one time, and it came back on, same thing (running lean). Running lean under heavy load? Maybe dirty fuel injectors, or bad fuel filter or pump?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I asked that same question a month ago, along with some other ones that weren't answered either. Not much of a conversation going on here, so I'm not going to waste any more time on this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Codes

Car seems to be running fine. I read the codes and cleared them. They are P2096, P2270, C0300, P2096, P2196

Which seems to come down to "running lean, running lean, "rear propshaft speed sensor", running lean, running rich".
I cleared them, and driving normally, they don't come back. Guy at Autozone suggested the Fuel Filter and Air Filter be replaced.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If the vehicle is running fine as you said, then that would tend to eliminate many of the usual suspects. The best approach would be to diagnose using a multimeter and a realtime OBD datastream reader. The Torque app for Android is one of the less expensive choices, or you can buy one off the shelf as well.

But if your plan is to skip the diagnosing, and just hang on parts instead, then I suggest you start by replacing the downstream O2 sensor. I'm not recommending this approach, but many just go ahead and do it anyway. Your vehicle, your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased a used 2014 Kia forte. After driving it 2 days, the "Check Engine" light came on. There is no lemon-law in Missouri, so no take-backs here. :(

We took it to our local mechanic, and he says that both O2 sensors are reporting too lean. They can't find any vacuum leaks, and he doesn't believe both sensors would go out, especially on a car that has only 50k miles on it.

Has anyone seen anything like this? This doesn't require any special gas, does it? We just filled it with Regular (which in Missouri can contain up to 10% ethanol).

Edit:
Sorry - I think I should have posted this in the engine section, but now can't move or delete it.
The same thing happened on my cadenza, both banks of the V6 engine running lean, solution was to clean the Mass air flow sensor, spray the sensor with the mass air flow sensor cleaner only, it is very simple. disconnected the battery to clear the old codes , borrowed the OBD2 scanner from autozone, and codes disappeared. hope this helps

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
The same thing happened on my cadenza, both banks of the V6 engine running lean, solution was to clean the Mass air flow sensor, spray the sensor with the mass air flow sensor cleaner only, it is very simple. disconnected the battery to clear the old codes , borrowed the OBD2 scanner from autozone, and codes disappeared. hope this helps
2nd Gen: I don't think the 2014 Kia Forte has a MAF sensor. Uses a MAP sensor in the intake manifold.

1st Gen: I know the 2010-2013 Kia Fortes DO NOT have a MAF sensor. Uses a MAP sensor in the intake manifold.

3rd gen: The 2019-2021 Fortes with the 2.0 have MAF sensors next to the air filter box, the 1.6T DOES NOT have a MAF sensor - uses a MAP sensor in the intake manifold.

Note: Disconnecting the battery does not clear DTC codes. Hard codes are stored until they are erased by a scanner.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Go get a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner and put it in your tank and then go fill up. After you get to about a quarter tank of gas, get a bottle or Techron FUEL INJECTOR cleaner and put that in the tank and fill it up again. If it's injector related, those two things MIGHT just clear it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts