Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

From what I've read and researched...it seems a 50/50 risk to remap the chip. Maybe they will pick it up, maybe they won't. I'm an IT engineer, and I can pick up if firmware or software has been changed. But I am not in the least familiar with the procedures or equipment the dealers use...so I can't say its the same an my environment. My tunist garuntees my they won't pick it up.

Also, I 've been confused by the guys here...does the 2.0L use a MAF or not?

Then also can replacing the CAT with a highflow one in anyway damage the car?

Some guys say the K&N filters need to be oiled...why? And if so, can this damage the car's throttlebody ot other parts?

Please assist as I am not very knoweledgeable with cars engines and tech sides.

Thanks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
do you know what the ECM code is? there's a program called ECUflash it's for soooobaruuus and mitsu's but if you can find out what the ECM code is .. there might be a coorelation between one of the other many world engine counter parts .. or at the very least the gen coupe and if thats the case you might be able to find someone that's already cracked it ..

the reason I bring up ECU flash is because it's an open source thing.. so it's possible yuo could write the definitions if you're feeling ambitious

·
Registered
52 Posts
From K&N website:

The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi there,

From what I've read and researched...it seems a 50/50 risk to remap the chip. Maybe they will pick it up, maybe they won't. I'm an IT engineer, and I can pick up if firmware or software has been changed. But I am not in the least familiar with the procedures or equipment the dealers use...so I can't say its the same an my environment. My tunist garuntees my they won't pick it up.

Also, I 've been confused by the guys here...does the 2.0L use a MAF or not?

Then also can replacing the CAT with a highflow one in anyway damage the car?

Some guys say the K&N filters need to be oiled...why? And if so, can this damage the car's throttlebody ot other parts?

Please assist as I am not very knoweledgeable with cars engines and tech sides.

Thanks.
2.0's dont have a maf, nor do the 2.4's
I doubt replacing the cat will damage the car, as with any part itll just take a bit for it to get used to the way the exhaust system is ran. itll probably free up some power though. rather than replacing my cat I just opted to get a new catback exhaust made, with a new muffler. leaving the stock cat most likely, and theres a pretty big difference in power already, from what it feels like.
I personally recommend the k&n drop in, it makes it sound a lot throatier, and it probably frees up a little more power and supposedly helps gas mileage as well. also, it never needs to be replaced. Ever. just clean it and apply the oil every once in a while. when I bought mine, for the sedan 2.0, it was $44.98. pretty cheap considerign its the only one youre ever gonna have to buy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wouldn't just replace the cat, I'd wait till a full replacement pipe is made as well as new header. and then buying everything, header dp , and catback

also the reason I brought up other cars is my 2.4 ion uses the same ecm as a some vettes and other muscle cars with a different OS, but the fact of the matter is once the ecm itself is cracked it makes things much easier to do

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Electronic Counter Measures? Used along with the oil slick and rocket launchers I believe. That might be just the Canadian cars though.

Just kidding. ECU is Electronic Control Module.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This was discussed a bit in previous threads . The only person i know who has reflash capabilities for the Hyundai/Kia ecu/ecm is TC at NGM (hyundaihouseofpower.com) . I believe one of our members talked to NGM about possible Forte reflashes but was told there is no market yet to warrant the research .

Turbokits will have to come up with a tuning solution for the kit they are now developing . There aren't that many options , they either come up with a reflash capability or use a piggyback or standalone aftermarket ecu . If they develop a reflash capability for their forced induction applications then they could also provide reflashes for guys/gals who prefer to remain naturally aspirated .

·
Registered
708 Posts
AFC suck balls .. you can't adjust timing or alot of things so basically you're forced to dictate knock by the AFR which means you might have to run rich to avoid knock in some situations and sacrifice power

·
Registered
142 Posts
AFC suck balls .. you can't adjust timing or alot of things so basically you're forced to dictate knock by the AFR which means you might have to run rich to avoid knock in some situations and sacrifice power
Exactly right . For the most part piggybacks are a band-aid solution . You can however keep the a/f ratio desirably lean and use a H&S Safeguard to pull timing if knock is detected . A better choice is the AEM FIC which controls both fuel and timing .

·
Registered
708 Posts
someone should goto their shop and see if they can work something out for the kias..

also if you guys could figure out the ECM code for evo x's, genesis coupes and fortes that would be interesting , idk where to find that

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
bump keep it up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just to elaborate on the Forum that was closed prior to opening this one. There are chips out there for the Koup. Just simply go on Jegs.com and look it up. They have one that lets you monitor your performance etc. It is called Jet V-Force plus cost $262.99 Look it up guys. Let me know what you guys think about this product.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts