Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a R-Strut Bar from the dealership as it was free (Kia Points for selling cars) and then read a post which stated joints are not good! It got me to thinking and almost regretting my choice in have a hinged bar. But then I decided to research and spent over 2 hours reading technical forums for Civic/Subaru/VW and reading reports regarding tests for strut bars in street and race use.

All agree "lateral movement prevention" or LMP is what the purpose of strut bar is unless you getting into X bars or H bars, but that's another topic. So when looking at lowering LMP there are 3 primary factors, stability of bar VS weight, angle or directness of bar relevant to source of stress and points of contact which relates to the bars ability to transfere the lateral stresses. So according to this the factory Kia R-strut bar has pros and cons listed below.

So after researching a few hours here is my conclusion: (Factory R-Strut)
- Solid aluminum bar low weight (joints when tightened have limited or no effect on lateral tension) 7/10
- Low arc supposedly maximizing the resistance across the towers. (not sure but a straight one would be optimal) 5/10
- Heavy brackets allowing for 2 points of solid contact on the shock tower able to transfer lateral stress effectively to the bar. Good but not optimal (the more the better) 8/10

I hope this is helpful as a guide criteria when choosing your strut bar.

My R-Strut makes an amazing difference to steering, braking into corners and especially powering out of them. When driven hard its like a new car.
Highly recommend a strut bar as a 1st mod its huge noticeable improvement and a fast and easy install.
Over ownership rating a very happy 8/10
Good Job Kia :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good write up man, the strut bar does make a huge difference. the car doesnt feel like its fighting for grip anymore, but those three piece strut bars, idk about those, IMO i think the one piece bars are better but im not an expert in this field by a long shot

2,213 Posts
Huge debate in this. Some claim that the hinged is not strong enough, others say that the amount of force produced in cornering on these cars doesn't require a solid bar. Then you get into the 2 point or 4 point connection. It all has to do with preference. I agree a strut bar is a must on these cars. I've had one for 6 months and you can definitely feel the difference. I've actually went from a 2 point rrm bar to the 4 point ultraracing bar, only because I wanted to match the rest of my suspension. But yea, a front strut bar and a rear sway bar are a must on this car

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I'd say if you get the Koup-R bar change the two long bolts at the hinges the bolts that come with it are way to weak and soft and prune to stripping. Both of mine snapped when I was installing my bar. I put in harden SS bolts. And the bar is working great.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Good Suggestion

I'd say if you get the Koup-R bar change the two long bolts at the hinges the bolts that come with it are way to weak and soft and prune to stripping. Both of mine snapped when I was installing my bar. I put in harden SS bolts. And the bar is working great.
Thanks I happened to use torque wrench on mine did them to 55 lbs cant see needing more but I think I will replace them anyways. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Huge debate in this. Some claim that the hinged is not strong enough, others say that the amount of force produced in cornering on these cars doesn't require a solid bar. Then you get into the 2 point or 4 point connection. It all has to do with preference. I agree a strut bar is a must on these cars. I've had one for 6 months and you can definitely feel the difference. I've actually went from a 2 point rrm bar to the 4 point ultraracing bar, only because I wanted to match the rest of my suspension. But yea, a front strut bar and a rear sway bar are a must on this car
Did you notice any handling difference between those two bars? How about installation? Easier with hinged? Do any of them get in the way of anything?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Was it more difficult installing a 4 point over a 2 point besides just having to remove and put back on 4 more nuts?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Thanks I happened to use torque wrench on mine did them to 55 lbs cant see needing more but I think I will replace them anyways. Thanks for your suggestion.
I was doing it in -20 degree weather. Even with a torque wrench one snapped, the other's threads stripped and I had to grind the bolt off.

I went to HD and got some harden tempered bolts and just cranked these down way more than 55ft/lbs. The bar can't move now. Where if you pushed hard enough you could get wiggle room at 55ft/lbs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HHMmmmm I wonder if I could find red hardened bolts to add a bit of colour.....match my car. Ill start looking this weekend.

2,213 Posts
Funny thing...I mentioned strut bars a few months back and no one took notice. It's a definite must have mod. The handling is improved 10 fold. If you like the front strut bar, you should go for the rear sway bar and rear strut bar next..it's an even bigger improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Funny thing...I mentioned strut bars a few months back and no one took notice. It's a definite must have mod. The handling is improved 10 fold. If you like the front strut bar, you should go for the rear sway bar and rear strut bar next..it's an even bigger improvement.
That's because no one listens to you. Look at how many threads there are on HIDs even after you posted to search.:p

2,213 Posts
my never ending campaigne to stop the overwhelming flood of HID threads will one day be won..... you will say! mark my word! damn you forteforum... damn you to hell!!! lmao

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got the Koup-R strut bar put on today and the car handles much better. Too bad I didn't have it on last week when driving through the mountains. It would have made the pothole dodging on the Trans-Canada much more fun.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
How much should I expect to pay for a quality bar, without paying to much?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much should I expect to pay for a quality bar, without paying to much?
You will see them online for $100-$350. The R-Srtut from Kia is I believe abit over priced but available to buy with Kia rewards was $171.00

PS
If I had the resources to choose again I would find one that has solid 3 point of shock tower contact and is solid no joints and round tube of made of titanium or steel. :)

2,213 Posts
The ultraracing bar is probably the best....it's a 2 point connection, solid and actually looks nice. Plus UR sells other suspension parts and it's always nice to match up. You could probably pick up the strut bar for $149 with free shipping. I'll take some pics of mine when I get my car back hopefully today or tomorrow

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Any Ultraracing dealers in Canada with a good price? Don't wanna get jacked on duty from US.
Found Ultraracing.ca strut bar 105 plus 24 shipping.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts