Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows it going first post here. Posting this up for a friend he has a 2.4l 6spd manu recently been noticing a odd clacking/ticking sound right at a certain engine load especially noisy in 1st and 2nd but can be replicated in any gear if you give it JUST the right amount of throttle. If you free rev it just right clutch in or out I can hear clattering and it sounds like it's coming from under the valve covers.

Checked the oil looks decently clean he does 5k oil changes and full. Tried to narrow it down to a heatshield but it sounds more in the area of the lifters.

I am assuming the lifters are adjustable? He is going to bring it to the dealer I am not going to get my hands dirty on a car under warranty unless I have too :p

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

Also I should mention the car has upwards of 40k km.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Our engines have solid lifters, which are inherently noisy. Just gotta get used to it.
On cold days it sounds like a diesel...

Unless it's a new clattering? If it's new, the lifters might need to be adjusted. See a dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup it's new noise was not there before it's odd though it's not like you can just rev it to a certain rpm it's either in gear with JUST the right amount of throttle and rpm which is usually above 2500rpm or in neutral free reving it just right you can get it to clatter. Looks like to the dealership!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always found it odd that it had to be a certain amount of throttle, at a certain RPM, under very little load. Driving down my street slowly in 1st & 2nd gear, right around 2700 rpms with light throttle made it rattle loudly, but as soon as you lift throttle or goose, it, it disappears. It almost made me suspect intake butterflies instead of valves, but it was way too loud for that, and stopped once the engine was fully warmed up.

Also strange that the Optima 2.4 doesn't do it at all.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I always found it odd that it had to be a certain amount of throttle, at a certain RPM, under very little load. Driving down my street slowly in 1st & 2nd gear, right around 2700 rpms with light throttle made it rattle loudly, but as soon as you lift throttle or goose, it, it disappears. It almost made me suspect intake butterflies instead of valves, but it was way too loud for that, and stopped once the engine was fully warmed up.

Also strange that the Optima 2.4 doesn't do it at all.
They totally redid the head and intake for the Direct injected Theta 2. I think they also re-did the cam and timing too.

The 2.4 in our forte's have a variable intakes, it seems like the way it's set up at low RPM (<3000) the intake is more restrictive(long runners) to generate more torque. If you've an auto forte it feels like the car has 8/10 gears. At <3000RPM the car uses torque in the specific gear then it opens up and it's like the car down-shifted, repeat this until you get to gear 4/5. I think it's both the VI and the CVVT working together once it gets to higher RPMs to generate power.

I think when it's torque generation mode the exhaust is not flowing as smoothly as say higher RPMs. I noticed that there's more exhaust noise in torque mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just want to update this the exhaust leak did nothing. Had a transmission issue they replaced the transmission and still haven't fixed the knocking! Now I feel i am being harassed the dealer is telling me I damaged the bumper of there rental car it is not anything that can be seen to the naked eye on a white car and I am more than 100% sure it was there when I picked it up! Now they want me to pay $175 to paint there rental car and they want me to sign consent of $500 if they remove the motor in my car and they don't claim warranty on the repairs. This is extremely unacceptable!!!!!

The car was there for 3 weeks and prior it was there for a few days without getting a rental vehicle. Yet still they haven't replaced the sway bar bushings which are also knocking, done NOTHING with the motor for all we know it could just need the valves adjusted, but they did however install a new 6 speed manual transmission and possibly a new clutch(tranny was whining). I am going to contact Kia HQ ASAP. I have to do all this stupid crap and I am paying monthly for this vehicle yet I need to argue with dealers and get harassed about something that I did not cause and it is possibly being held against me now to avoid repairing the motor! It was my fault for not overlooking the rental car EXTREMELY closely but who knew I would be SCAMMED into taking a car with almost a literally unnoticeable scratch on the back bumper. I love the car but dammit this is stupid BS to deal with on a properly maintained car.

Sorry about the rant but wondering if anyone has any comments?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought your original post was about a friends car. I'm confused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
friend posted on my account whats so confusing? Regardless didn't have time to call Kia hq yet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There was one fellow on here who stated his car was a lemon and took it to court.. He won btw lol..

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sounds like lemon law is your best bet here. As for them charging you for the scratch on the rental, that's just f*cked up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i had an incident yesterday, my engine was making a knocking noise. could it be the cvvt ticking? even at a stand still idle.. maybe i punched it too hard on the interstate passing a car?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the exact same noise (loose plate under the downpipe), dealer first blamed my transmission that failed, then on my under shield. Neither of which were the problem but oh well. I made them tighten the plate (2 bolts) and noise dissapeared. Boise returned 2 weeks later and dealer still acts dumbfounded (no shock)
KIA corp seems pretty easy to deal with, if you can't call them, email em. They seem able to sway dealer opinion at least a little.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can sum one send me Kia Corp number and email looks like I will be needing it soon I have what sounds like a lower end rod knock

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Wow.. how many miles or kilometers on your guys forte's with the knock?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Mine seems to only do this mainly in 3rd at 3k rpm after a cold start. I've searched around online and it seems that these cars with all aluminum engines have noisy valves until the engine hits operating temperatures, I don't know if this is 100% true but that's all I've found so far.

·
Registered
746 Posts
MaxD had his intake manifold replaced due to a "valve train like noise" . It was an issue with VIS. The post is on this forum ...somewhere.

I also remember a member posting that he had a "rattle" type noise that was diagnosed to a bearing issue , number three bearing I think he said.

And, another member had clatter or rattle sounds & it was the power steering hose or a loose clamp holding the hose.

Not sure if these help with you're sound issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts