Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 forte sx sedan and it has a knock just the same. It has been making noise since the second week but it also has an even more annoying problem then the knocking. Since the third day of purchase it mainly does it after it's been running awhile but right when I start to push the throttle there is a chirping sound coming from where the clicking is. It is mostly the beginning Portion of pushing the throttle, but also when the car is downshifting to a stop. It is getting so bad that it is even doing it at an idle sometimes. I've taken it in a few times now, but service department claims they can't hear a noise. When i originally took it in, they didnt know what it was and was waiting for kia to tell them something. This isn't the only car brought there with the same problem. I took it back a few days ago, and they are saying the noise is "normal" and they are just trying to sell me a new car for more payments! Sounds pretty Asinine to me! i love my car, but hate paying $400 a month for a vehicle that makes more noises than my 89' cherokee I bought for $400. Not sure what the next step is, since I can't even get it in for documentation. Is there anyone else that has the chirping sound?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey just a update. Car now has 70k km lol. Still claddering the exact same. Dealers are all making excuses and won't supply a rental car one dealer wanted $500 upfront to disassemble and we can still be blamed for damages and have to pay for the repair.... Need the car 6 days a week simple as that. When it is VERY cold and I would assume at the same time the oil is pretty thick there is NO claddering noise what so ever.

I am thinking bearing noise, but at the same time I just want to pull off the valve cover and inspect the valve train for any obvious things, even a damaged bucket!

Atleast they replaced the transmission without any issues........

·
Registered
119 Posts
This knocking/ticking/clattering noise at like 2k-3k is not normal. Yes the valves are noisy but if you think the noise is different, more than likely you need a motor. My 10 sedan sx started getting the noise at like 10k. it was very faint but noticeably louder. Now at 23k its wrapping wicked bad. Was told by my kia service manager that it was normal. Im a tech and i know that isnt normal. Basically took ignition and fuel from each cylinder until the noise diminished. Found cylinder one to be at fault, dropped it off and had my kia manager listen to it and he agreed something was right. Upon tearing the motor down, metal shavings were found in the head and oil pan. Cyl # 1 crank bearing was pretty much gone! The cam lobes were almost to the point of causing misfires. Long behold im getting a free long block. So if you have this noise bring it in immediately and have them strain the oil for metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
wow, that's pretty serious. I've had this same noise since the day I drove my koup off the lot. I figured it was a loose heatshield or something along those lines so I've just been ignoring it. Maybe it's time to look in to this a little further...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone else followed up on this? Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but my new to me 2011 forte sx has the same clattering/detonation/spark knock/sound from 2700ish to 4000rpm sometimes. It sounds so loud on hot days that it's ridiculous. My dealer is playing the "we can't hear it" "we can't fix what we can't find" games.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
A couple of these members are still active here..be patient and maybe they can chime in.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Same here. Always had clatter since i owned mine. By regular synthetic oil changes & using lucas synthetic stabilizer, i found it is a bit quiter. But from a cold start i still hear it.

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
604 Posts
My girlfriend and I have had two Koups and two Sedans between us. All 4 have had the clatter. But if you think it's more than normal don't give in to the dealer's games.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
My Koup always had valve chatter too... usually went away when it warmed up. Dealer said it was normal... the Forte's just have noisy engines

·
Registered
13 Posts
So you have this "clatter" at 2500-3500 rpm while driving in each gear (car is 6spd auto) normally most easily heard around 45-50mph, and it sorta comes and goes with the shifts? B/c mine is happening then, I'm not talking about valve clatter at idle, I know they all do that. This is a clatter while driving around every time it accelerates.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
I used to have that happen when I had the accelerator pedal in a certain spot. Seemed to go away after the car warmed up though and the dealer said it was normal. Never caused any problems...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to have that happen when I had the accelerator pedal in a certain spot. Seemed to go away after the car warmed up though and the dealer said it was normal. Never caused any problems...

Mine doesn't go away. I've tried 87,89,93 octane. Tried at night, during the day, warmer, colder, ac on/ac off, eco on/eco off, manual shifting/auto shifting it's still there

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Koup always had valve chatter too... usually went away when it warmed up. Dealer said it was normal... the Forte's just have noisy engines
Hi,
does this clattering be audible in the cabin too, when idling or decelerating? Like in this (my) video:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts