Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clayed my paint and followed with a spray on wipe off wax. Everybody should do this. My paint feels like glass. I know this was a quick application. Any suggestions on the best methods/products.

·
Registered
427 Posts
clay bar all the way. Im waiting for a long weekend. I wanna do it for days!

Thats what she said.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
well the best wax that ive used is the NuFinish. i cant remember what brand the clay bar is but it worked pretty swell. pics of the shiny ride :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use Klasse AIO, good stuff not cheap though. Poor Boy's products are a good as well, I used to have a bottle of their spray on/wipe off stuff, great for between heavy duty cleanings.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I clayed my paint and followed with a spray on wipe off wax. Everybody should do this. My paint feels like glass. I know this was a quick application. Any suggestions on the best methods/products.
The claying is what gave you the glass smooth feel.

Turtlewax I find gives poor performance in terms of shine and durability.

Barring the more boutique stuff (which for me is hard to get now). Meguires TechWax 2.0 is really long lasting.

After washing the car with Meguire's car wash my routine is a seasonal claying then wash the car again then use Meguire's cleaner wax. Followed by 3 coats of TechWax 2.0 then follow up with Meguires Quik Detailer(gets rid of residue).

The shine is crazy and the protection lasts like 1 month. Even after heavy rain it looks like it had just been washed.

If you want some really good protection we're talking 6 months. You'll need to wash, clay, wash, use a cleaner, use a sealer, wait a day, slap on 3 coats of wax. You could follow up with a quick detailer to get rid of any residue.

Yes the above sounds like over kill but it's hard to look good. I didn't even include any tips for polishing yet. I generally don't polish as I let the sealer seal up any imperfections. It'll get you an 8/10 look while a polish will get you the 10/10.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wouldn't waiting a day between sealing and waxing be bad.. since if you had used the car at any point driven the car or even left it under trees, etc there would be things on your car that when waxing could scratch?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The claying is what gave you the glass smooth feel.

Turtlewax I find gives poor performance in terms of shine and durability.

Barring the more boutique stuff (which for me is hard to get now). Meguires TechWax 2.0 is really long lasting.

After washing the car with Meguire's car wash my routine is a seasonal claying then wash the car again then use Meguire's cleaner wax. Followed by 3 coats of TechWax 2.0 then follow up with Meguires Quik Detailer(gets rid of residue).

The shine is crazy and the protection lasts like 1 month. Even after heavy rain it looks like it had just been washed.

If you want some really good protection we're talking 6 months. You'll need to wash, clay, wash, use a cleaner, use a sealer, wait a day, slap on 3 coats of wax. You could follow up with a quick detailer to get rid of any residue.

Yes the above sounds like over kill but it's hard to look good. I didn't even include any tips for polishing yet. I generally don't polish as I let the sealer seal up any imperfections. It'll get you an 8/10 look while a polish will get you the 10/10.
Feed me those polishing tips. I swear im addicted to my paint condtion. !10/10 24/7¡

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've done the clay bar before, it does make the paint feel "like glass" no joke, I used pinnacle's detailing clay (This took a long time). Afterwards I performed a paint cleaner, followed by a paint sealant (3M). The paint sealant does wonders, the water beads up and doesn't stick to the paint. It will stay there for hours and not bond to the surface. You add the extra layer of wax on top of the sealant for gloss. You use the quick detailer to renew the shine. Should last about 6 months. A lot of work but well worth it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could someone list some links for this stuff? I need to get my dark knight ready for the winter!!!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Wouldn't waiting a day between sealing and waxing be bad.. since if you had used the car at any point driven the car or even left it under trees, etc there would be things on your car that when waxing could scratch?
Yes what you say could happen.

Sealing paint is NOT a single day event. You need to let the Sealer setup, adhere and harden. Then wax.

As for polishing tips I have pretty crappy ones as mine are more for deep scratch fix, because I let sealers conceal.

Polish gets really expensive(actually this whole taking care of the car thing is expensive). If you want to do a good overall polish you need time, a good variable polisher, different compounds and sandpaper.

I'm not going to take credit for other people's work. But basically I read a lot of forums and took some professional tips and did what I can just keep trying till I get it to where I'm happy.

Toronto Accord Club • View topic - Wes_R x NSX (56 pics)

That's a link to a local professional and he posts good tips.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i use auto magic stuff. its what my dads shop uses and i spent like 35 on just my clay bar and lube for it.. and my wax smells like banana's which is also made by auto magic. and yes that is an 18 inch woofer as part of my computer set-up

·
Registered
769 Posts
Im a detailer for Porsche so I just use the same stuff we use on Porsches :D cant tell yall what we use though! Its my secret haha

·
Registered
769 Posts
I will suggest however not to clay your car all the time though, it wears out the clay fast and over time stuff will get caught up in the clay and leave swirls in the clearcoat (just hand waxing swirls wont get them out) Not a lot should get stuck in your paint if you use the right wax

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Show your bros some love foo!! Lol we wont tell.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Show your bros some love foo!! Lol we wont telli
HAHA well actually I wouldnt be able to tell you if i wanted to. We get stuff from a 3rd party company that produces their own high-quality stuff so its not named like "turtle wax" or "nu-finish" lol. Its THAT good ;) hahaha

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ship me a bottle. I have classmates who can tell me what it is for fun. We'll call it pineapple express

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lol im afraid I cant do that

·
Registered
33 Posts
I only let Meguiar's products touch my car. Meguiars clay bar, follow with their cleaner wax, then their polish, then their gold class wax. OMG talk about amazing. I did it on a suburban that hasn't been waxed since day 1. and it was 11 years old at the time, it looked like a completely new paint job. I've never been satisfied with anything else that I have tried

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm actually very pleased with turtle wax ice it's a synthetic and it last a long time the thing that got my car dirty was the salt from the streets from when it snowed beside that stays shiny and I have the black box but just to much work for my lazy ass lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts