Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple months worth of SOOT, and other disgusting stuff stuck to my exhaust, so i set out to clean them. This has been a proven method that works on all exhaust tips (except for chrome & "burnt" tips).

I don't think it works for burnt tips, never tried it though.
And don't think it works for chrome, but shiny stainless is ok

First spray it with WD-40, wait a little, then wipe it down.

then spray it again, and start slowly going over it with some steel wool or brillo pad. Light pressure.

then wipe it down, and repeat as necessary. this doesn't scratch the exhaust, and gives it a nice clean look.

Here's the clean tips. (they were completely black before i started)

Just for the record, when the tips are warm, the WD-40 works really good, but watch out on hot exhausts because WD-40 is flammable. (but after you wipe it down you're good). Don't burn yourself on hot tips, the method works just as well on cold exhausts. (i cleaned mine while it was cold).

·
Registered
46 Posts
That works good with any metal... aluminum, carbon steel, stainless, etc.. But remember wipe it off good and put a metal polish on after or all that shit will stick right back on!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Also, claying the metal may work as well. Depends on their condition. I keep some old clay around for this reason.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another good one is brakeclean. It will, quite literally, clean almost anything! But just like serrie said, make sure to polish and/or wax when finished or you may as well have never bothered.

·
Registered
227 Posts
bring this thread back up...since i don't think i should make a new thread

WD-40, can that get rid of the sticky residue on the back of my trunk instead of using goo gone?

and also with cleaning the exhaust, just wax it afterwards? can i use the meguiars cleaner wax liquid?

thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
WD-40 is NOT an adhesive remover or solvent of any type. Bug and tar remover will remove sticky residues, so will goo gone. An alternative to these is either gasoline or Varsol, but I strongly recommend NOT using either on painted surfaces.

Yes liquid cleaner waxes will keep your tips looking decent for a while and will make it easier to clean in the future but you would be better off using some sort of metal polish for the initial cleaning.

Deuce

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just use window cleaner on my tip. Gets rid of soot really easy. Never had a problem with it, besides the ammonia smell.
And then a nice layer of cleaner wax to keep it shiny!

In response to Simon's question, any kind of goo remover will work just fine. Naphtha, or lighter fluid, also works pretty well. Just be really careful, it strips wax, and might damage your clear coat.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Wait, so our tips are stainless steel? I thought they were chrome/nickel plated this entire time?

·
Registered
585 Posts
WD-40 is NOT an adhesive remover or solvent of any type. Bug and tar remover will remove sticky residues, so will goo gone. An alternative to these is either gasoline or Varsol, but I strongly recommend NOT using either on painted surfaces.

Yes liquid cleaner waxes will keep your tips looking decent for a while and will make it easier to clean in the future but you would be better off using some sort of metal polish for the initial cleaning.

Deuce
Actually it is a solvent: WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Halfway down the page under 'formulation'..

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Aww shit. I actually had a friend offered to burn them for me. He has the tools but he wasn't sure if it was the right material to burn. Thanks for clarifying! Will get it done and have some pics for ya.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
OR you could just wash/wipe them down everytime you wash your car and that takes care of the problem too!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Metal polish and a nice stiff plastic brush works well for burnt tips. It takes a little effort, but it doesn't seem to hurt the tips. Usually I just scrub them down with a clr or something, works well for me.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I always spray my pipes at the wash.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I always spray my pipes at the wash.
Nothing like hosing down the pipes with some cold water.:p

I use a scotch bright pad on mine. Bit of Metal polish and it's good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bring this thread back up...since i don't think i should make a new thread

WD-40, can that get rid of the sticky residue on the back of my trunk instead of using goo gone?

and also with cleaning the exhaust, just wax it afterwards? can i use the meguiars cleaner wax liquid?

thanks
Actually, while not a solvent, the WD-40 FAQ site does state that 'WD-40® Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material'. so yeah

1 - 20 of 20 Posts