Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to start reviewing all the cleaning products I use on my Forte here.

First up, ArmorAll wipes:
I've used both the glass wipes and protectant wipes, and they are absolutely fantastic!
The "Original Protectant Wipes" are amazing. Two will clean your entire car in about 10 minutes. They leave a wonderful shine on anything black or dark colored. And leaves a fairly neutral smell behind.
The "Glass Wipes" are also very nice. They do indeed remove dirt and leave it streak free. But I would just use a run of the mill glass cleaner, it's cheaper and works just as well, if not better. But... the wipes are much more convenient.
NOTE: I no longer like the protectant wipes. They leave a shiny wax coating that looks crappy after a week in the hot sun.

ArmorAll tire foam
LOVE this stuff! Spray it on and leave it! Your tires will come out black as... well... very black. It doesn't make them shiny, but it will return the new tire color. Apply some tire shine and they will look brand new!
If you're willing to spend a little extra time, use a terry cloth to rub the foam into the tires. It will come out darker, and you won't need as much product.

Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
Good stuff, just make sure you get the bugs early! If you let them bake in it will be an absolute pain-in-the-tookus to remove them.
Spray a good amount on, wait a minute, and wipe off! I use this after every journey home (400 miles).
If you let bugs and tar bake onto your paint, it's gonna take a lot more than a spray and some wiping! Probably nothing short of a clay bar.
Also good for removing labels and stuff. It got the residue from my EX badge just fine. Took a decent amount of elbow grease though. It's not a miracle worker!

Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash soap
Smells great, lubricates very well, and leaves a nice shine. It doesn't condition your paint, doesn't wax, nothing like that. I just simply cleans your car!
They claim it won't leave water spots.... that depends on how hard your water is. The water in Lubbock is very hard, so I always get spots if I'm not careful. In good shade it won't leave spots if dried quickly. Just dry with some good microfiber towels and no spots will be seen.

Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
I've been using this stuff on my emblems and exhaust tip for a while. Always leaves a very nice shine. Makes it a joke to wash off dirt, just wipe with a cloth.
I haven't waxed my whole car yet, but I will before the meet. I've done small sections that needed it, and it always produces a brilliant shine. Love it!

More to come:
>Mother's Clay Bar kit
>Invisible glass with rain repellent
>And others as I find/use them.

:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I only use meguiaers after using armor all, and others, it's what I like best, All except for chrome and other metals which I use eagle 1 metal polish for.

These are all Meguiars products...

I use the Gold Class Car wash
Gold class wax (goes on and comes off real easy)
Meguiars clay bar kit
Ultimate rubbing compound (for scratch removal)
Ultimate polish ( for depth in paint and reflection)
Natural shine interior spray ( for plastic and vinyl)
Ultimate leather wipes ( for seats etc)

Whatever I happen to have for glass

Terry cloth towels (for interior except piano black and chrome accents)
Microfiber towels ( for exterior and piano black, chrome accents)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I always had a problem getting my windows streak free but found a method that works well thanks to my mom. She told me that her mom always used to clean her windows in her house with glass cleaner and newspaper. Ive done it a couple of times and I have to say it works great! Idk if anyone else does this but I'd like to hear a better method and also the best windshield wipers since I need new ones badly!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use invisible glass to clean my windows-it's the best "off the shelf" item I have tried.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Invisible Glass works really well for the windows.

I use Meguiar's NXT soap and polymer wax. I also use their NXT tire shine, which is the best I have tried to far.

I found Armor All (various products) to be good only to make things shine a bit for a few hours/days. Everything will go back to the old dirty/dull look very fast....

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I'll have to look it up, but I read somewhere that using armor all on your dash and seats will actually cause them to deteriorate faster if you don't keep using the product.
Maybe in the manual?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to look it up, but I read somewhere that using armor all on your dash and seats will actually cause them to deteriorate faster if you don't keep using the product.
Maybe in the manual?
Really? That's interesting....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep, I've heard that Armor All is not good either. I don't like the stuff anyways due to the slick, awful finish it leaves behind.

Having tried loads of various products over the years, I've also settled on Meguiar's. I haven't tried anything they make that isn't good (although I tend to stay with the Professional series in the tan bottles). One of my favorite Meguiar's products is #40 vinyl and rubber cleaner/protectant - it strips off the crud and leaves a "real" looking finish.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+RUB+16

For a nice finish with good durability, #20 Polymer sealant is excellent. It's almost too simple (I used to think I had to have a cabinet full of stuff). It seems like there may be a little chemical paint cleaner in the #20, but I never checked with Meguairs.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SEA+16

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I added two entries. I don't know why I do this, probably as a service to myself so I remember what I like and don't like....

I've started hating the ArmorAll protectant wipes. They leave a very shiny wax coating that looks crappy after a week in the hot sun... time to find something new.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Any idea why after I detailed my car with meguiars detailing spray yesterday the next day It had this swirly film on it? I'm thinkin I need to clay bar after my next wash. It's never done this before. Humidity? Maybe improper prepping? It's worse on the hood where I waxed about 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it buff out? Might just be residue. If not, I don't know. Try buffing it with a little of the detailing spray, see if it fixes it. Make sure you have a nice clean MF towel and really make sure there is nothing left.

BTW, I did finally get that cat installed (two weeks ago), it sounds glorious.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I heard the whole armor all things too. you should only use their "cleaning" wipes. not the protectant. the protectant ones, and other shiny dash products contain silicone and over time, it causes cracks in the dash.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard the whole armor all things too. you should only use their "cleaning" wipes. not the protectant. the protectant ones, and other shiny dash products contain silicone and over time, it causes cracks in the dash.
Good to know.
I've started just using some soapy water, and a moist towel. Works plenty well.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I use.

Meguiars NXT Tech 2.0 wax
Meguiars wash and wax (thick yellow soap, best out there)
Meguiars Endurance tire gel (the grape one, this is pretty amazing. lasts so long)
Rain-x (to shine my rims)
Invisible glass (for glass)
WD-40 + steel wool (exhaust tips)

·
Registered
444 Posts
From my personal experience(including but not limited to several years detailing for a living) anything armor all is a bad call. It will destroy almost anything it touches. The glass wipes are the only product that doesn't ruin what it's supposed to be for. I only use maguiars, mothers, or car brite. That's it.

Deuce

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my personal experience(including but not limited to several years detailing for a living) anything armor all is a bad call. It will destroy almost anything it touches. The glass wipes are the only product that doesn't ruin what it's supposed to be for. I only use maguiars, mothers, or car brite. That's it.

Deuce
What about the tire foam? I've gotten good results so far.

·
Registered
444 Posts
And how long do your tires take to turn brown? 2?3 days?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And how long do your tires take to turn brown? 2?3 days?
About a week. A quick rinse with water makes them black-ish again for another week. o_O

1 - 20 of 45 Posts