Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently developed a "clunk" on my 10' Forte Sedan SX....it sounds as it is coming from my right front wheel well area, only happens when hitting bumps....I have 24k miles on it...could I have a bad strut already? Any one else experiance this or have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I got the exact same thing checked out today. The techs said they could hear it but they couldnt find anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Dust boot on front struts are loose. It's an "old" service letter from KIA. They install a foam shim and glue the dust boot to the top plate bearing. Got mine done last Thursday.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
o ok maybe when i go in next time ill mention it to them. Mine just started last week but its driving me nuts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
If you want to, it's really easy to check. Just lift the front of the car. You'll be able to move the dust boot up and down on the strut.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to, it's really easy to check. Just lift the front of the car. You'll be able to move the dust boot up and down on the strut.

Do you know if this is a DIY fix it? I hate to drive 45min to the dealer to fix something simple...warranty or not.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Sure but you still got to get the foam shim.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Let the dealer fix the defect...LoL!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made an appointment for Tuesday to get it fixed. It is a Service Bulletin....
COMBINED TSB / SERVICEACTION: FORTE(TD) FRONT STRUT

NOISEREPAIR(SA047)
This bulletin provides information relating to some Forte (TD) vehicles built from March 3, 2009 to March 18, 2010 that may exhibit abnormal noise from the front strut(s) while driving over a speed bump or similar road conditions during the winter months. This concern is caused by interference between insulator strut bearing and dust cover bumper rubber. To correct this condition a strut insulator pad will need to be installed on the bottom of the insulator strut bearing assembly contact surface. This procedure will need to be performed on both L/R front struts.
To improve customer satisfaction, Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on all affected 2010MY Forte / Forte Koup (TD) vehicles.
For vehicles not on the Affected Vehicles List, but with a customer concern; perform the following procedure outlined in this bulletin and submit a warranty claim per "customer concern" (Standard TSB) claim information on pg 4.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have the same clunk now on my left drivers side front wheel. I believe it's the dust boot as well. My question is why does this boot fall down in cold weather and how does it go back into place in warmer weather?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michael,

I have no idea why it only happens in the cold....I took my car to my dealer with a copy of the Service Bulletin....the service manager said "This has already been done on your car"...I told him that was impossible since I never brought it for this before...

Anyway, they told me that was exactly the problem, they fixed it and it has been quiet ever since and it has been very cold here in North East PA this week!

·
Registered
316 Posts
what I am wondering is how does it 'go back into place' when the weather becomes warmer??!!
It's probably a case of it not actually moving but having a larger than usual gap. When it gets cold it'll shrink and cause all those noises but when it warms up the expansion fills the gap. Just a theory but if there's a TSB and your vehicle has the problem definitely push the dealer to have the work done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My dealer did it with out question....just make sure you mention the service bulletin FORTE(TD) FRONT STRUT NOISEREPAIR(SA047)....I believe all they do is use a double sided adhesive to hold the cover in place.

It's probably a case of it not actually moving but having a larger than usual gap. When it gets cold it'll shrink and cause all those noises but when it warms up the expansion fills the gap. Just a theory but if there's a TSB and your vehicle has the problem definitely push the dealer to have the work done.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
My dealer did it with out question....just make sure you mention the service bulletin FORTE(TD) FRONT STRUT NOISEREPAIR(SA047)....I believe all they do is use a double sided adhesive to hold the cover in place.
They put epoxy glue on mine the last time. If your in a cold climate they also could keep your ride for several hour (for the epoxy to settle and dry)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts