Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not having one or even tested one yet, and reading a lot of reviews that mention the feel of the clutch has got me to wondering if anyone has looked into clutch mods.

One mod I saw for the Hyundai Elantra was quite simple but effective in improving the feel and response, the DIY is here:

Clutch "Valvectomy"

This makes one curious if the same or similar could be done with the Forte. I guess if someone out there had a repair manual...

Also what about short shifter mods, any talk of this or of higher performance clutch packs?

Curious minds want to know. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
So not having one or even tested one yet, and reading a lot of reviews that mention the feel of the clutch has got me to wondering if anyone has looked into clutch mods.

One mod I saw for the Hyundai Elantra was quite simple but effective in improving the feel and response, the DIY is here:

Clutch "Valvectomy"

This makes one curious if the same or similar could be done with the Forte. I guess if someone out there had a repair manual...

Also what about short shifter mods, any talk of this or of higher performance clutch packs?

Curious minds want to know. :D
Then what do you have? Do you even have a forte? Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So not having one or even tested one yet...
Should answer part of your question, and I have an Elantra which answers the other.

I test drove an EX Koup w/AT so I have no idea if the clutch is as temperamental as some reviewers and some owners here have said. Maybe it's all ado about nothing, or maybe not and there is room for improvement and it could also be all about the operator as well ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
You are referring to the removal of the slave cylinder delay valve . This mod is an absolute must for v6 Tiburons , the stock clutch will just not hold the stock power with an aggressive driver .
I test drove a Genesis Coupe 2.0T 6 speed and the clutch felt stronger than the v6 Tib 6 speed . I didn't test drive a Koup manual , my wife wanted the auto sedan (nuts) so that's what we got .
If i had a manual trans Forte and the slave cylinder had that delay valve , i would remove it . You will love the difference it makes in the clutch engagement not to mention improved longevity .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there, first post here..........:)

Does anyone know if the Forte manual has a Clutch Delay Valve (CDV)
I'm keen to improve the shifting in mine.

Cheers
Os

·
Registered
166 Posts
somesaid after 40 xxx or more kilometer on there KOUp its feel better and better to shift it mabye this spring is getting less rigid and make it more ''direct shift''

im surely gonna check that when Ill get the car ! damn the car isnt in my hands and I have a TONE of mods waiting it hahaa

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks MaxD, that looks like it.

Has anyone taken the CDV out ? if so was there any noticeable difference.

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone taken the CDV out ? if so was there any noticeable difference.

Cheers
Ken
The link in my first post indicates as such as does yllrshark's post before your first one here. I haven't bought a Koup as yet but am working in that direction, I'm sort of waiting to see if a hatch is coming. Either way this would be a first mod as I'm tired of driving an auto and want one with an MT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CDV removal

Well, the CDV is now out and I'm glad to say there's a marked improvement in gear shifting with a more positive feel on the clutch.

It looks to me that the CDV also slightly delays clutch engagement that was causing some overrun with RPM's when quick shifting, that's also been eliminated.

So I'm quite pleased with this mod, it only takes about an hour to do. Those with a manual transmission it might be worth your while.....:)

Cheers
Os

·
Registered
696 Posts
You wouldnkt be willing to do a writeup on this would you? For those of us that aren't quite sure what to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a few questions about this. Is it a noticeable difference? what will this do to my warranty? what will this do to clutch longevity? Really what im looking for is some pros and cons to this mod.

Thanks
BW

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a few questions about this. Is it a noticeable difference? what will this do to my warranty? what will this do to clutch longevity? Really what im looking for is some pros and cons to this mod.

Thanks
BW
The difference/feel is noticeable . The clutch/flywheel,release bearing combo are only warrantied for 12 months . If you smoke the clutch the dealer/tech would have to be aware of the delay valve removal before denying warranty coverage . The clutch longevity is improved because there is no built-in slippage . If you remove the valve and don't like the clutch feel then replace it , it's not a big deal .

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I was reading in other threads about the light weight pulley (how it made a considerable difference in shifting).. can we do both?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was reading in other threads about the light weight pulley (how it made a considerable difference in shifting).. can we do both?
Both , meaning the slave cylinder mod and light weight pulley ? Sure you can . At some point i'm sure a lightweight flywheel like the Fidanza will be available also . I think the stock 2.0 4 cyl Beta flywheel weighs close to 30lbs and the Fidanza replacement is around 7.5lbs .
Replacing the stock crank pulley with a lightweight aftermarket replacement pulley whether stock size or a underdrive diameter means you might lose the crank harmonic balancer . I'm not sure if the Theta engines use a external balancer or are internally balanced , someone like KiaTech would know .

1 - 20 of 106 Posts