Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with my dealer today about getting them to install a TurboKits CAI for my 2.4 Forte Koup, and they told me that they don't install aftermarket parts. However, when I asked about it voiding my warranty, they responded that it will NOT void my warranty, however, if it becomes the leading factor for any problems that I have with my car, then it will (so it CAN void the warranty basically). He then said that it's highly unlikely that anything will happen if I install a Cold Air Intake; the only thing that could happen would be for my engine to become hydrolocked.

So after looking online, I found out the chances of hydrolocking my engine; so as far as I am aware, the only way that you can hydrolock your engine is if you fully submerge your CAI in water, which would allow water to be sucked in. As far as raining is concerned, it is not a problem - any small amount of rain water would've fully evaporated by the time it got to the engine.

So what I want to know is, is this the only problems that could arise out of the use of a Cold Air Intake? And also, is the information that I received valid as far as hydrolocking an engine goes? Is there anything else that I need to know? Also, what will happen if I take my car through a car wash - is going through a heavy duty car wash considered to be somewhat submerging the cold air intake in water? The reason I ask is because I want to install a cold air intake by Christmas.

P.S. Most of the time I'm in hot, humid, nasty weather, all the way to cool, dry weather - I live in Houston, Tx! So usually it never gets cold here. The reason I mention this is because I don't know whether any environmental factors affect anything regarding a cold air intake. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You can always get a bypass valve if your worried about hydrolocking. I have driven through touchless car washes many times and haven't come across any issues with my TK CAI. The touchless sprays directly upward when you enter the car wash so it was not just sideway and downward water spraying.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Another houston member! AHhhhhhh! Lol, well I haven't installed one for my car yet b/c I live in Galveston, and it rains A LOT. But The turbokits intake is right above the splash guard, so I don't really think too much water should be splashed in it. But honestly, the cai goes in so flawlessly (for the most part) that you can actually just take it out during those harsh rainy months.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Really? It poured over here on saturday!
Its been raining down here in SA, not much though just a one day soak on saturday and that was all.

Im thinkin about doin the CAI and im gonna get either a K&N or Injen "sleeve" or pre-filter that helps with keeping water off, I may even buy a small piece of rubber and glue it to the inside just to fill in that small gap between the front bumper and the splashguard (its like a 2 inch gap)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I live in New England where it rains a ton. Had the car for about 6 months and the CAI for about 3 of those. Countless days of rain and no problems yet. There is a shield that protects the water coming from under it is plastic with two of those infamous plastic screws holding it in. TK (Turbokits) reassured me that I would have no problems and I would have to agree thus far. Up to you though not sure if you are riding through rivers and lakes with yours...

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
...The touchless sprays directly upward when you enter the car wash so it was not just sideway and downward water spraying.
I gotta get me a shower like that...

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Great info! Thanks for updating the whole community.

I talked with my dealer today about getting them to install a TurboKits CAI for my 2.4 Forte Koup, and they told me that they don't install aftermarket parts. However, when I asked about it voiding my warranty, they responded that it will NOT void my warranty, however, if it becomes the leading factor for any problems that I have with my car, then it will (so it CAN void the warranty basically). He then said that it's highly unlikely that anything will happen if I install a Cold Air Intake; the only thing that could happen would be for my engine to become hydrolocked.

So after looking online, I found out the chances of hydrolocking my engine; so as far as I am aware, the only way that you can hydrolock your engine is if you fully submerge your CAI in water, which would allow water to be sucked in. As far as raining is concerned, it is not a problem - any small amount of rain water would've fully evaporated by the time it got to the engine.

So what I want to know is, is this the only problems that could arise out of the use of a Cold Air Intake? And also, is the information that I received valid as far as hydrolocking an engine goes? Is there anything else that I need to know? Also, what will happen if I take my car through a car wash - is going through a heavy duty car wash considered to be somewhat submerging the cold air intake in water? The reason I ask is because I want to install a cold air intake by Christmas.

P.S. Most of the time I'm in hot, humid, nasty weather, all the way to cool, dry weather - I live in Houston, Tx! So usually it never gets cold here. The reason I mention this is because I don't know whether any environmental factors affect anything regarding a cold air intake. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I've driven thru a puddle once on accident and even though I was scared shitless, it was fine. I pulled over and checked the filter and it was dry.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know on my Harley Davidson Road King I have a K&N Cone filter and in my saddlebags I carry a rain sock. I don't notice a decrease in performance. Just a thought

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
The Hydro-locking thing has really been blow out of proportion. Like the original posted said, you need to basically submerge your intake under water so it sucks up like a straw. Otherwise fine water droplets, rain, snow, ice, etc are usually vaporized on the way into the motor.

I had a 97 4runner with a STS remote mount turbo kit on it (FUN!). That had the filter right under the rear tires, it sucked in all types of h20. On a few hard rains, it would actually stall the truck out. I'd know for sure because it would start bucking and jerking. Sometimes, if I got out of the throttle it would be fine, other times it would stall it out. So, I'd let it sit where ever it left me stranded, and as soon as it was dry out, it'd start up, choke through a bit and then run fine. This was on a completely 100% open to the elements filter and with the added suction power of a turbocharger & 6 cyls. With the location of our CAI, that's not even close to the same and I'd bet it stays pretty dry in there, even in a heavy rain.

I am not saying that anyone wants this to happen, but truly Hydro-locking a motor is pretty rare.

Anyway, have a great weekend!

I've driven thru a puddle once on accident and even though I was scared shitless, it was fine. I pulled over and checked the filter and it was dry.

·
Registered
318 Posts
just drove like a nut in the rain last night with the cai on and it was just fine and it was raining hard too. bad hing is i just washed my car like 3 hours before it rained...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a story for you:

My buddy borrowed my other buddies car. A new Supercharged Cobalt. He had a Cold Air Intake, with a guard cover. My friend drove it slooooowly through a puddle that went up to about his door crack. As he's going through, KAPUT! He hydro locks it. The intake sucked enough rain water to flow into a cylinder and it locked up.

Don't drive through a puddle that will reach your intake, and you will be fine.

As far as warranty goes, keep a maintenance record, and keep your CAI dry and you'll be fine. Having it does not cause any engine trouble what so ever. If anything your giving your engine what it needs, air. Stock air boxes and filters are basically like giving your car asthma.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another option to consider is a K&N Apollo CIS (closed intake system).

The thing that's great about it (I had one for years on my Elantra GT) is that you can direct the flex hose anywhere you want to draw cold fresh air. But the kicker is that on rainy days it can be converted into an SRI in seconds to avoid any chance of hydrolock.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Id be interested to see the dyno sheet for that K&N CIS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts