Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I did the factory cold air intake mod thing, the spectra cone filter bolt on to the factory intake tube and yes it sounds badass but this morning I started the car up and got a check engine cel light. I installed the filter last Saturday until today the light popped up so I disconnected the battery for 15min and put the stock air box cover and stock filter back on and immediatly once I started the car back up the cel light was gone. I'm noticing that these new cars these days don't like cai or any mods due to a lot of computer ecu controlled gagetd. Lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Congratulations on the intake mod. Just one question; if you bolted the Spectra cone filter to the existing 'factory intake tube'; aren't you sort of back to where you were? The 'factory intake tube' can only suck in the amount of air that the 'factory intake tube' passage allows it to suck in at any given time. Unless you increase it size...?Also, is it in a new postion to get 'colder' air than it has always been getting? The objective is to get 'colder' air [cold air is more dense] ..if you are getting the same old hot air...? I think more info is needed here on what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on the intake mod. Just one question; if you bolted the Spectra cone filter to the existing 'factory intake tube'; aren't you sort of back to where you were? The 'factory intake tube' can only suck in the amount of air that the 'factory intake tube' passage allows it to suck in at any given time. Unless you increase it size...?Also, is it in a new postion to get 'colder' air than it has always been getting? The objective is to get 'colder' air [cold air is more dense] ..if you are getting the same old hot air...? I think more info is needed here on what you are trying to accomplish.
Yes I bolted the Spectra cone filter to the existing stock intake tube and the filter lays in the bottom portion of the stock air box and the stock airbox cover was removed, but the ram air tube that's coming from the front grill is still bolted up so its still getn air to the cone filter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey guys I did the factory cold air intake mod thing, the spectra cone filter bolt on to the factory intake tube and yes it sounds badass but this morning I started the car up and got a check engine cel light. I installed the filter last Saturday until today the light popped up so I disconnected the battery for 15min and put the stock air box cover and stock filter back on and immediatly once I started the car back up the cel light was gone. I'm noticing that these new cars these days don't like cai or any mods due to a lot of computer ecu controlled gagetd. Lol

So you replaced the stock filter with a different stock filter and then left the top of the air box off? Why???

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you replaced the stock filter with a different stock filter and then left the top of the air box off? Why???
No, I bolted on the Spectra Cone Filter on the stock intake tube then I had a check engine light come on a few days later then I took the Spectra Cone Filter off and put the stock air filter in and put the air box cover back on ALL back to Stock and the check engine light went away after I put it back to stock.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I did the same thing as you and put a Spectra filter on to replace the OEM filter. Only difference is a better sound when accelerating.

I've had it on for a couple months and haven't had any problems with it. I wonder if the ECU on the 2011 models are more sensitive in a change like that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the same thing as you and put a Spectra filter on to replace the OEM filter. Only difference is a better sound when accelerating.

I've had it on for a couple months and haven't had any problems with it. I wonder if the ECU on the 2011 models are more sensitive in a change like that.
Yeah who knows.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think this was said before. And I will say it again. These cars do not have a true ram air and are not advertised as having one. And I agree with [email protected], the system will not give any gain, because of the restricted plumbing. Even if you don't get a TK cai, you can build one out of the Spectre system. You won't feel much in the low end. I do feel it after 3k rpms.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I agree with ya guys. I thought I would just try it since it was cheap, but actually just gonna save up and get prob the turbokits cai.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i got the tk cai and no problems or lights have come up :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts