Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there everyone!

I'm new here, just having picked up my 2010 Forte Koup EX about a month ago. I've been loving it so far, but I've been looking at some basic stuff I can do to it before the summer, when I can really start modding it. I picked up a Spectre air filter the other day, removed the top of the air box, and fastened the new filter to the hose. I've driven about 100kms and haven't noticed anything wrong with it yet, but I started to wonder about the possibility of water getting into it.

I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada. For most of the winter we get snow mixed with rain or freezing rain. Provided I don't drive through any really deep bodies of water, should what I've done work fine?

I'm not after gains at the moment, just looking to get a bit more sound out of it. Any answers or general info would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's in the same place as the stock filter, why are you worried about sucking in water? Because it's uncovered? You'd have to hit a real doozy of a puddle/lake to get water up there, and in that case, other things would probably get fried at the same time.

You need to be more careful with CAIs, but SRIs are usually quite safe. I've been running short ram intakes for over 12 years and hit some good puddles/slushy driving and never had an issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kinda figured. I'm just glad to hear it because I've had a few people tell me to be careful even though it's way above anything else.

What short ram would you recommend btw? And would getting my car tuned after installing a short ram and new exhaust be worth it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks for the recommendation. I was kinda leaning towards the Injen model because it is quite cheaper where I'm at. But I'll definitely keep the K&N in mind.

I only mentioned getting a tune because I heard it would be a good idea after changing my exhaust.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Injen will probably do a good job too. I was also looking at that one before my K&N appeared.

Tune is only required when you really start upgrading things like fuel injectors, fuel pump, cams, throttle body, etc.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Okay, thanks for the recommendation. I was kinda leaning towards the Injen model because it is quite cheaper where I'm at. But I'll definitely keep the K&N in mind.
K&N are nice but you pay for the name. I've had Injen intakes on other cars before and found them to be excellent quality. Better than AEM and perform as good as K&N (in my opinion)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts