Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost pulled the trigger last year but wanted to wait since the 2011 made some changes. So. What is good and what is not? Is a manual a better option over the auto? I remember the auto being a little weird or having some issues. Also is the 2.4 worth the extra price? Here's where I'm at.

Im buying a new car. My very first new car and I want to like it ( obviously ) as I will have it for many years. I do alot of city driving and maybe 25% highway. But when I'm on the highway it's a hell of a trip :). Our dealer only has one koup I like. A silver sx with moonroof and no leather. Sticker is $20,800 with $1500 in rebates. A ex with no leather no moonroof is 18,400 with the same $1500 rebate.

I tried to haggle saying I didn't want this color exterior hoping he would drop the price or add something to make the deal better for me but nope. So now I'm in a debate. Go for the sx or order a custom ex just how I want it.

So just give me the lowdown. How are both motors and trannys, and what seems to be the best combo ( 2.4, auto, 2.2 manual etc etc )

Thanks again everyone Nd I hope to have a new pic to post in the owners thread this month :)

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
if theyre going to let you customize an ex, get one with a moonroof, have them put sx wheels on it, and have them put fog lights in it and voula! and for the agreed upon price. no going up on price lol thats the deal since they dont have exactly what you want. its their fault :) if they cant, there's a hyaundi dealer down the road im sure that would love to get you in a genesis for the same price as them kia guys were going to sell you the koup for. buddy of mine did that last week actually. him and i went to a mazda dealer and a kia dealer(kia second) and then a hyaundi dealer last and he ended up buying a genesis 2.0 R-Spec for $100 less than what kia wanted to sell a koup for. i was kinda pissed cuz now he had a more badass car lol he paid more for his though ;)

moral of that is, leave if you cant get what you want. they'll either call back with what you want or you'll leave and not get yourself into something you dont want 100%

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The LED additions are nice since you now don't have to mod those in. :) Price of gas nowadays and with it rising more in the future the 2.0L looks nice. Tranny to me mostly depends on what you enjoy. I always pick a manual over an auto due to enjoying the shifting experience. Although every blue moon I wish I had an auto because of crazy congested traffic or feeling very lazy. The ride is softer which I love with bad roads or long trips. Going to buy a strut bar for better corner handling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. As for "customizing" lol it was more so they would find a black or silver ex with black interior from a dealer elsewhere , not a sx without the badges or the 2.4 lol.

Ugh. DEcisions decisions.

Also. I don't know if this is a misprint or not but one ex 2.0 had 26/36 for mileage and one was23/34 or something like that. Both 2011, ex, autos. Any reason for this?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
you wont get that gas mileage any ways so it doesnt matter. just know that compared to other cars in its class, it gets pretty decent mileage. i avg about 28 in my ex and i drive mostly highway. i havent a heavy foot but its not light either haha

those numbers were tested in a controlled environment

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I rarely drive long distances (usually special trips and vacations). Last year I was able to get around the 38mpg (Imp) mark with my CAI but I was driving a lightly as possible to see how much mileage I could get out of a tank. 100% highway 705km in one full tank (I didn't run out of gas at 705km but filled it up anyway since needle was just under the empty and warning light was on for the last 20km.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
For 25+ in town! Don't get the CAI :) I mostly do 99% city and get around the 16-22 mark because I punch it a lot to hear the sound.

You might want to be looking at a Hybrid or the chevy volt. The VW diesel should be good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. No mods for me. I'm one of few who are actually buying for fuel economy ;). I have a supercharged 2001 ssei that has been my mod car for about a year now. 335 crank hp. 296 at the wheels. Plenty fast for me :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
I changed wheels to 18" but even with those I get the same MPG I always did
which is a easy 30 mpg at about half city/hiway miles.

On long trips I've averaged as much as 34/35 mpg most of the time

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Wow havent seen you in a while.
Soooo, imo i love my 2.4 it is totally worth it. If you want go with the new auto 6 speed with paddle shifters. I regret going with an auto with only 5 speeds. It makes the car less responsive imo. I love my friends 6 spd manual. Its totally worth it. The gears are at better proportions.
Economically, get a 2.0L then... I wouldnt tho. It isnt worth it for 4 or 5 more mpgs...
Plus the aftermarket is more apt to look at the 2.4 first too...
Lol any questions feel free to keep asking away.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dude why buy new? Im selling my car for 17,000 and its just like new. The 2011 didnt change much. If you want fuel economy, mine has a CAI, which only helps...

I get 50+ mpg when going 45, 40 at 65, and 38 at 70..

and btw, the manual is awesome when you modify the throttle and add a short shifter like I did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow havent seen you in a while.
Soooo, imo i love my 2.4 it is totally worth it. If you want go with the new auto 6 speed with paddle shifters. I regret going with an auto with only 5 speeds. It makes the car less responsive imo. I love my friends 6 spd manual. Its totally worth it. The gears are at better proportions.
Economically, get a 2.0L then... I wouldnt tho. It isnt worth it for 4 or 5 more mpgs...
Plus the aftermarket is more apt to look at the 2.4 first too...
Lol any questions feel free to keep asking away.

Hey stranger, It's been a while!. Snowmobiling hockey and snowboarding consume my winters so I'm a ghost anywhere online :)

But now is decision time. 2.0, 2.4 ,, auto vs manual. I would get a manual 2.4 but I'm REALLY thinking fuel economy this time. Even tho its only about 3 mpg difference. I wish they had a manual 6 speed for me to try, but no go. :(. Im liking the sx 2.4 auto but I know the manual would be more fun for me and IMO probably quicker. The paddle shift is cool but ehh.

I was approved today at my credit union for 7.25% for 4 yrs.But that's to hi for me. I'd wanna be around 5%. But still have to check on insurance as well.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just chiming in, as I have a 2010, but mine is a 2.0L auto, so it was only a 4 speed. I actually don't mind it, except for 2nd gear, but that's a universal issue with the Koups, whether it's a 2.0 or 2.4. Either way, haven't people been stating that the 2011 tranny's are better than last years? Oh, and a bare bone EX for 18.5....? Not that I had much more in mine, but at least I had a moonroof and still only paid about 17 for it. As for the Genesis, are all the 2.0L turbo? If not, how can it be that much better than the 2.0L Koup? I actually like the look of the Koup better. That's just me though. :) Oh, and the 2011 EX's with the technology package also adds the foglights. Sorry man, guess you do have quite a decision. This is my first car as well, and I'm quite happy. Good luck whatever you do. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude why buy new? Im selling my car for 17,000 and its just like new. The 2011 didnt change much. If you want fuel economy, mine has a CAI, which only helps...

I get 50+ mpg when going 45, 40 at 65, and 38 at 70..

and btw, the manual is awesome when you modify the throttle and add a short shifter like I did.

Cuz I want new. ;)

Also a loaded ex out the door for me would be 16.5 and a sx would be 18.4

Plus our dealer offers double manufacturers warranty. 20yr/200000 mile

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Those prices sound really good to me, and the double warranty.... Must be nice.... :) LOL Does sound like quite a decision....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those prices sound really good to me, and the double warranty.... Must be nice.... :) LOL Does sound like quite a decision....

Well I kinda lied.. Not "loaded".. THe EX didnt have a roof or leather, the SX has a Roof, no leather

1 - 20 of 36 Posts