Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost pulled the trigger last year but wanted to wait since the 2011 made some changes. So. What is good and what is not? Is a manual a better option over the auto? I remember the auto being a little weird or having some issues. Also is the 2.4 worth the extra price? Here's where I'm at.

Im buying a new car. My very first new car and I want to like it ( obviously ) as I will have it for many years. I do alot of city driving and maybe 25% highway. But when I'm on the highway it's a hell of a trip :). Our dealer only has one koup I like. A silver sx with moonroof and no leather. Sticker is $20,800 with $1500 in rebates. A ex with no leather no moonroof is 18,400 with the same $1500 rebate.

I tried to haggle saying I didn't want this color exterior hoping he would drop the price or add something to make the deal better for me but nope. So now I'm in a debate. Go for the sx or order a custom ex just how I want it.

So just give me the lowdown. How are both motors and trannys, and what seems to be the best combo ( 2.4, auto, 2.2 manual etc etc )

Thanks again everyone Nd I hope to have a new pic to post in the owners thread this month :)

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. As for "customizing" lol it was more so they would find a black or silver ex with black interior from a dealer elsewhere , not a sx without the badges or the 2.4 lol.

Ugh. DEcisions decisions.

Also. I don't know if this is a misprint or not but one ex 2.0 had 26/36 for mileage and one was23/34 or something like that. Both 2011, ex, autos. Any reason for this?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. No mods for me. I'm one of few who are actually buying for fuel economy ;). I have a supercharged 2001 ssei that has been my mod car for about a year now. 335 crank hp. 296 at the wheels. Plenty fast for me :)

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow havent seen you in a while.
Soooo, imo i love my 2.4 it is totally worth it. If you want go with the new auto 6 speed with paddle shifters. I regret going with an auto with only 5 speeds. It makes the car less responsive imo. I love my friends 6 spd manual. Its totally worth it. The gears are at better proportions.
Economically, get a 2.0L then... I wouldnt tho. It isnt worth it for 4 or 5 more mpgs...
Plus the aftermarket is more apt to look at the 2.4 first too...
Lol any questions feel free to keep asking away.

Hey stranger, It's been a while!. Snowmobiling hockey and snowboarding consume my winters so I'm a ghost anywhere online :)

But now is decision time. 2.0, 2.4 ,, auto vs manual. I would get a manual 2.4 but I'm REALLY thinking fuel economy this time. Even tho its only about 3 mpg difference. I wish they had a manual 6 speed for me to try, but no go. :(. Im liking the sx 2.4 auto but I know the manual would be more fun for me and IMO probably quicker. The paddle shift is cool but ehh.

I was approved today at my credit union for 7.25% for 4 yrs.But that's to hi for me. I'd wanna be around 5%. But still have to check on insurance as well.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude why buy new? Im selling my car for 17,000 and its just like new. The 2011 didnt change much. If you want fuel economy, mine has a CAI, which only helps...

I get 50+ mpg when going 45, 40 at 65, and 38 at 70..

and btw, the manual is awesome when you modify the throttle and add a short shifter like I did.

Cuz I want new. ;)

Also a loaded ex out the door for me would be 16.5 and a sx would be 18.4

Plus our dealer offers double manufacturers warranty. 20yr/200000 mile

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We have the new 2.4SX 2011 6speeds auto and let me tell you I love it. Sure it's not a race car but it's really funny to drive it each days.

I already drove a manual car but I better love this auto transmission, very responsive compair to my Rondo (I know, it's not same category) and the paddle shift give you a little good feeling.

I just want to tell you something about the warranty, here in Canada, it's 5y/100Km but my dealership want to give me 10y/200Km and I didn't take it...I'll tell you why...I had a Rio before the Koup (replace cause my son crashed it), and I had this warranty (10y/200Km) but you'll have to do ALL your service (even an oil change) at THIS dealer to respect this warranty, if not, the warranty is no more good !! In two words, Kia give you the original warranty and the dealer give you the extra warranty to keep you with them and make money with you.

About the mileage, it's not that bad, it's in the realistic spec.
Just a follow up. Talked to my dealer today. You do not need to brig it into the Kia dealer for anything. Oil changes, trans flush etc etc. Just every 30k miles so they can check it. So as far as I know and from what I was told buy the sales manager there is no fine print. Just drive it maintain it and be happy.

Problem is this. I am self employeed and cannot show an accurate source of income of my 1099 alone. Even tho I have "B" paper credit and am financially secure there is no way to show them how much I make. I was approved for 7% for 4 yrs from my credit union and could probably get down to 5-6 if I searched more

So I might have to get a co signer which is gonna be tough for me. Or no Kia.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I looked at the Jetta TDI before I bought my Forte last year. It was about $10,000 more than the Forte. My daughter has a '10 Golf TDI and she paid $27,000. My SX Forte before tax was $16,800. I don't doubt that they are good cars and the TDIs do get great mileage. But $27,000 was a lot more than I wanted to spend.

Exactly my thoughts. I have a budget I set for myself. 18k out the door. No more. The loaded sx is 18.5. If he cuts the deal with me I'll take what's on the lot if not I'll order a sx from somewhere else without a roof

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Since money and mileage appear to be your main concern (from looking at prior posts) I'd recommend you look into the EX 2.0 and 6 spd auto tranny. Your cost will be lower - and possibly your insurance too. Both my daughters now have 2010 Forte EXs (one Koup and one Sedan) and they get better gas mileage than my wife's Sedan SX and my Koup SX. My youngest daughter traded in her 2006 Scion XA and her insurance went down...not up like I thought it would!

They like their 2.0s -- plenty of get-up-and-go for an economy car, and they both have autos and still get high 30s on the highway.

Seriously -- you also appear to be able to take your time on this decision...go out and test drive every vehicle you're interested in. Make your purchase based on what puts the biggest smile on your face when you finish driving it!

2 things...
1) Price is not so much my main concern, but I set a Max Price I want to pay.. If I give in, then Im not holding true to what I promised myself... Yes, even if its $500.. I bust my ass for my money and only want to spend what is necessary, and not a dime more.. I HAVE much more I can spend, But Ive always been responsible with money, and never get in over my head...

2) You say ( as do I ) Buy what puts a smile on your face at the end of the day.. WEll, when there are 2 options for a motor/car one with more power and one with more features vs one with less, well of course Im gonna go for the funner faster one with more goodies ;) Im 31, but 13 at heart, and still want something that looks good, wont be ( too ) outdated next year, and something that is fun to drive ( which is the main reason I liked the Si , In the first place,..

What WOULD save me a ton of money is a manual , and no roof.... that $1750 right there.. Ive driven Manuals since I was 11 ( raised in the country , and that's what we do :) ) so its not a biggie to me, but alot of ppl have complaints on the manual, and I still dont have an idea why... Is it clunky? Weird clutch? I don't know, and I don't have a 2.0, or 2.4 to even test

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I drove the Mazda 3 and wasn't impressed as it was still $700 more with less rebates and half the warranty. :/.

Since the bank isn't working with me I filled out an online app at Kia and am waiting for the sales guy to call me back.

So like I said. What do I do? He's pushing the only 2 koups he has on me ( as they always do ) because they're all he has on the lot. The sx is silver and the ex is darker silver lol. The ex has putrid interior so that's out for sure.

I really want the sx but nit in silver. And he knows this and is still pushing it. If he gives me more money off the car I would think Bout it but the silver just doesn't have that pop or shine of a new car like a maroon or black

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Very true. If the silver didn't impress me on the lot it won't impress me in the driveway. It may sound like a minor thing but if I'm paging 20k for a new car , I want that thing shining :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.