Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a great article on intake flow disruption called negative boost.

This has to be the best intake research work I have seen and when it was all said and done the researcher was able to eliminate all parasitic drag loss in the intake flow with the stock system!

One thing to note here is the potential of RAM Air as a small power/mpg booster. I hope the AEM is ram Air capable. ;)

All you tech types--enjoy the love shared in this article.

Browser Warning

·
Registered
696 Posts
Very cool find! This article explained a lot in terms of simplifying the process of intake design. I'm thinking I may give this a shot this weekend. At the very least, I'm going to modify the tube from the intake to the airbox, smooth it out and help the "flow". I'm off till Tuesday, just got paid and have lots of time to kill. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep , great article ! 'Now we know the rest of the story' . Find an area of positive pressure then place the intake tube in that area . Double whammy , not only is the intake air temp dropped but there is a ram-air effect from the positive pressure .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on this this article, the K&N Apollo closed inline intake and the ModShack TTDA concept would be optimal because they are sealed and promote streamlined flow with the inverted cone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its important to remember that the amount of air entering the engine needs to vary greatly depending on engine speed. Part of the reason some engines use a two stage intake system. optimizing your intake for high speed airflow will often limit the low end power of your engine.

PS- i didn't read the whole article if this was already discussed in there...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Soar.... based on the article would you go with the Apollo over your universal setup now? do you plan on changing to that?

·
Registered
486 Posts
hmm never mind i just read that the apollo is only good up to 250 bhp... i think with the NOS on I may be getting to close to that limit for comfort.. think im going to go with your custom design!! thanks for your research!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 250whp Turbo Miata (off the bottle 300+ on) where I am thinking of trying the Apollo system....If a turbo car can get 350HP out of the filter you should be fine.

In your case, the extra O2 comes not from the intake design, it comes from your Nitrous fogger. :p

Look at the TTDA--it's pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Bump!
Anyone ever try tracking down negative boost in the Forte?
I know a lot of the article deals with air flow meters and the such, but do we have that? I know we have an ECU so I would think the air would be measured somewhere?
I'm just wondering if upgrading away from my "Factory SRI" to something with a smooth pipe would be better. Maybe even finally pop for a TK CAI instead?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Bump!
Anyone ever try tracking down negative boost in the Forte?
I know a lot of the article deals with air flow meters and the such, but do we have that? I know we have an ECU so I would think the air would be measured somewhere?
I'm just wondering if upgrading away from my "Factory SRI" to something with a smooth pipe would be better. Maybe even finally pop for a TK CAI instead?

Fortunately the Forte doesn't have a MAF so we don't have that restriction. If I remember right AEM's first attempt at a CAI for the Forte resulted in lower HP over the stock intake system.

Our system is not real restrictive...and the two stage intake (long and short runners) help make power throughout the RPM range.

If you noticed in the article the writer tried changing the air horn inside the airbox and it didn't help -- be careful with that piece...I'd venture to say there was some testing done on it.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Fortunately the Forte doesn't have a MAF so we don't have that restriction. If I remember right AEM's first attempt at a CAI for the Forte resulted in lower HP over the stock intake system.

Our system is not real restrictive...and the two stage intake (long and short runners) help make power throughout the RPM range.

If you noticed in the article the writer tried changing the air horn inside the airbox and it didn't help -- be careful with that piece...I'd venture to say there was some testing done on it.
I'm sure the airbox is well designed there's a nice (air horn) velocity stack inside that box that I never saw in lesser stock intakes. In today's modern small car 4 pots they do everything they can to get maximum power out of it. Think about it it costs $1 in materials to make a crappy intake as it does a good intake. You just have to spend extra time to R&D it, but this is worth it to claim a higher MPG than your competitor.

The only improvement that you can do to your stock intake actually is to remove the weather strip at the front of your hood and raise the bump stops a bit so the airstream is more direct. Even then it's not really necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Tebore: I'm guessing this is allowing less restrictive air flow to the scoop at the front of the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts