Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that I don't want to try to install the springs myself, not to mention I have no idea where to get the spring compressor. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good price for the install.

I called around to a couple reputable shops and they told me that since they "don't have work logs" on my car, they would just have to charge me the $89per/hour labor rate. The guy told me that "most" spring installs take about 1 hour per axle, which means I'd be looking at 188 for the install, and then $65 for the alignment.

Is this a good deal? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I paid $150 to some local tuner kids with a shop (both are mechanics) to do it for me.

$200 isn't bad. But just be careful. I was quoted 4 hours @ $90/hour from another shop.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
MaxD did mine (Thanks again Max!) I can tell you that's a realy easy job! No spring compressor needed but you'll need a freind!
The rear axel shouldn't take more than 20 min to do by a mecanic so I say 2 hour labor MAX. It should take around 1h30. GL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm....doing it myself is sounding better and better. I just went to a shop this morning that told me a month ago it would just be $100. Well when I got there they said it was $100 dollars an hour and I was looking at 4 hours labor plus alignment. hmmmm....DIY??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright...I think I have the confidence. Autozone does have a free rental program, so me and my buddy are going to install the springs on Saturday. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
A friend at work did mine for $70,he did so good of a job that the alignment was within specs,cost me $65 for nothing to have the alignment checked.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Just be careful, the top plate only goes in one positon over the strut. Look for the flat surface on both parts.

I did mine without a spring compressor, BUT I'M A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL :p Seriously, just rent one. Not using one could cause serious injuries or death.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome, thanks for the advise Max. Does anyone else have any tips/tricks before I go ahead with this. I'm doing it Saturday so it gives me all the time in the world. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
when i did mine, i had trouble getting the strut all the way thru so i could screw it back and like i said, i didnt use spring compressors so all i did was stick on of those rolling jacks underneath the strut and i jacked it up till it was high enough. the first wheel took me an hour and a half, the second front wheel took about 45 minutes and the rear took about half an hour. remember, the back is connected together. they arent individual so you have to do the rear all at once. i jacked each side of with the one that comes with the car and another that comes with my other car and while the rear was up, i braced the(i think) axle with the rolling jack. when you take the bolt out to get the springs out you'll want to take some of the hidrolic pressure out so it lowers and you can get the springs out... idk if that makes sense at all but you'll see when you do it. here are some pics and a link of the diy i usedd. have fun!!!! and be careful! dont want to get spring face :p

Streetkiaz.com - Forum - Forte / KOUP / 2010 Tuning - Forte Koup Springs installed

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Aiden for the link. It's nice to have two different write ups to go off of. I'm feeling more and more confident. I'll take some pictures if I can find a decent camera. All I have now is my blackberry camera. Sucks balls!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I was reading through the other write up, and the guy says something about a bump stop going in the middle on the fronts, and that he "didn't use the metal puck". What is the bump stop, and what is the metal puck? And do I need either of them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts