Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a crack in a front windshield last week. The crack occurred while the car is parked with nobody inside the car. Only the inner layer of the windshield cracked all the way from top to bottom in the middle. Outer layer is intact and there is no damage including chips, cracks, or scratches. I believe it's a stress crack and should be covered under warrenty. I filed a case with KIA but so far they do not agree that the case should be covered under warrenty. :mad:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thats a tough one to prove as it could be a stone chip, or defect who knows. Do you have glass coverage with your insurance ? I know here in Manitoba, if you so choose you can pay a little extra and get full, free glass replacement. I've used that many times over the years and it has saved me money.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I found a crack in a front windshield last week. The crack occurred while the car is parked with nobody inside the car. Only the inner layer of the windshield cracked all the way from top to bottom in the middle. Outer layer is intact and there is no damage including chips, cracks, or scratches. I believe it's a stress crack and should be covered under warrenty. I filed a case with KIA but so far they do not agree that the case should be covered under warrenty. :mad:
Where do you live? I'd be looking for an organization that provides arbitration between you and the dealer / manufacturer.

In Alberta, for dealer arbitration there is AMVIC (amvic Consumer Information).

In Canada, for manufacturer arbitration there is CAMVAP (arbitration services, mediation arbitration - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah I have full glass replacement for like $15 for 6 months...I've replaced 3 windshields so it's paid for it self bout a million times.

Hope you can get yours taken care of!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have my insurance pay for it if the crack is caused by accident, chips, or vandalism. The crack occurred while the car was parked and there is no evedence of impact damage on the windshield. I believe that the crack is 100% due to manufacturing defects thus KIA should pay for the replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you live? I'd be looking for an organization that provides arbitration between you and the dealer / manufacturer.

In Alberta, for dealer arbitration there is AMVIC (amvic Consumer Information).

In Canada, for manufacturer arbitration there is CAMVAP (arbitration services, mediation arbitration - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan).
I live in California.
How long does the arbitration process take? The car is not in a drivable condition, I do not want to pay for rental car out of my pocket until the windshield is fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow I am having the same issue. Although mine looks like a Stress Crack because it is Inside the Winshield itself. I am gonna contact Kia on Monday to see if they will cover it..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow I am having the same issue. Although mine looks like a Stress Crack because it is Inside the Winshield itself. I am gonna contact Kia on Monday to see if they will cover it..
Let us know what they say.

Is your glass only cracked on one side, did you run your fingernail across it to feel the crack?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive windshield is constructed of two layers of glass with a tough plastic laminate between them. On my cracked windshield, only the inner glass layer cracked. Outer glasslayer is fine with no crack, chips, nor scratches. There is no evedence that the windshield is damaged by external force and I believe it is a strerss crack.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I live in California.
How long does the arbitration process take? The car is not in a drivable condition, I do not want to pay for rental car out of my pocket until the windshield is fixed.
According to this, within 40 days...

Apply for Arbitration - Department of Consumer Affairs,Arbitration Certification Program

You should probably Kia Corporate first to see if they can do something for you. They might send you a different dealer. I've seen their number posted elsewhere on the forums. Anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to this, within 40 days...

Apply for Arbitration - Department of Consumer Affairs,Arbitration Certification Program

You should probably Kia Corporate first to see if they can do something for you. They might send you a different dealer. I've seen their number posted elsewhere on the forums. Anyone?
After waiting for two weeks, I rec'd the final answer from KIA Corporate. They rejected my claim for warrenty service.:mad: I am debating whether to proceed with arbitration process. I like to pursue it to prove that it's a manufacturing defect, but it will cause me major inconvenience since the car is not in a drivable condition. The process will take up to 40 days (in some cases it takes even longer), and in a mean while, I can not have the windshield fixed which means no car to drive around.
One thing per sure. No more KIA vehicle for me. I will not give a business to a company who does not admit their mistake and does not care for their customer. I hope they learned a lesson from the TOYOTA case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a stone crack on my windshield, was going to get it replaced via insurance this month (my yearly inspection is due, and you fail if your windshield is cracked). I went out this morning and there's another crack starting, right in the middle of the windshield from the left side. No stone damage or anything, but the crack is on the outside. Not sure if it's due to stress or what...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts