Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently my 2014 Forte5 SX started turning off when coming to a stop or even leaving it in park for a length of time. After it turns off, restarting it takes a few tries and when it starts, the tachometer stays at 0 and the traction control light goes on but I can drive it although throttle response and shifts are weird.

Eventually it generated a P0335 error (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit). Originally replaced it with a wrong sensor (Amazon said it was compatible with my car but it thought my car was a 2.0L). Even with that sensor it stopped turning off but wasn't shifting properly. Sourced the proper sensor (3x more expensive!) and had the dealer install it and the turning off never came back but it still doesn't drive quite right. Mostly doesn't downshift aggressively enough and seems to let the RPMs get lower than it used to. Almost like it's stuck in ECO mode

Dealer finds nothing wrong and thinks it shifts and drives just fine.

Anyone encountered issues with this? I'm tempted to buy an ECU Reflash since the dealer won't do it just to see if that resolves it.

Can anyone recommend an ECU tune? I figure an OBD Plug (performance chip tuning) that fools the ECU probably won't work to resolve this issue for me

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte LX 1.8
3 Posts
I have the same problem it seems. I replaced the head cylinder and timing chain assembly a few months ago. Today I noticed my traction light came on randomly. It went away when I restarted the car but back on with bit driving. Shortly after the tachometer would drop to zero with acceleration and then go back up and down randomly. Tach is normal at idle. No stalling. No check engine light until I got it home and turned it on and off a few times. Crankshaft sensor code came up. Had been replaced during timing job. Check wires and everything looks fine. Replaced sensor and no luck. Engine light is still on but the code doesn't come up. Seems like the traction light comes on once the rpms drop to zero.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't found anything yet and it looks like I"m going to have to learn more about how automatic transmissions work to narrow down the problem. Shifting while engine is cold is still rough for me.

But no traction light/RPMs going to 0 happened to me anymore once I swapped out the sensor.

So our issues might be related and if I find out what it is I'll update here and likewise I say you do the same, maybe its the same culprit but different issues so slightly different symptoms.

Good luck to you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 2010 kia forte 2.0 engine of which I have the following off and on again problem. When starting out from a light, sometimes when I press on the accelerator to proceed, there is nothing there, it does not go. When I pump the accelerator a second or third time, then it lunges ahead to which I have to back off the accelerator and resume normal speed. This does not happen all the time. Sometimes the car is real responsive in taking off, other times it is just normal. I have replaced the accelerator pedal sending unit and the throttle body. Any thoughts any one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't found anything yet and it looks like I"m going to have to learn more about how automatic transmissions work to narrow down the problem. Shifting while engine is cold is still rough for me.

But no traction light/RPMs going to 0 happened to me anymore once I swapped out the sensor.

So our issues might be related and if I find out what it is I'll update here and likewise I say you do the same, maybe its the same culprit but different issues so slightly different symptoms.

Good luck to you
Did you find any info on this problem?? I'm going to try fuel additive. I read that works!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I too have a 2010 kia forte 2.0 engine of which I have the following off and on again problem. When starting out from a light, sometimes when I press on the accelerator to proceed, there is nothing there, it does not go. When I pump the accelerator a second or third time, then it lunges ahead to which I have to back off the accelerator and resume normal speed. This does not happen all the time. Sometimes the car is real responsive in taking off, other times it is just normal. I have replaced the accelerator pedal sending unit and the throttle body. Any thoughts any one?
Have you checked for trouble codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you find any info on this problem?? I'm going to try fuel additive. I read that works!
Still same problems!! sesh!!! I got the codes P0335 and P0336 (Camshaft Sensor and Crankshaft Sensor) $90 bucks ea at auto store / $40 & $50 for OEM on Amazon!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by:
Damaged CKP sensor connector
Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning due to sheared-off keyway)
Sensor output open
Sensor output shorted to ground
Sensor output shorted to voltage
Failed crank sensor
Broken timing belt Failed PCM

Potential causes of a P0336 code include:
Bad crank sensor
Broken reluctor ring (missing teeth, debris lodged in ring)
Reluctor ring dislodged/stripped from it's stationary location
Wiring harness chafing causing short
Wiring open in CKP circuit

Copied from:
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (obd-codes.com)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by:
Damaged CKP sensor connector
Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning due to sheared-off keyway)
Sensor output open
Sensor output shorted to ground
Sensor output shorted to voltage
Failed crank sensor
Broken timing belt Failed PCM

Potential causes of a P0336 code include:
Bad crank sensor
Broken reluctor ring (missing teeth, debris lodged in ring)
Reluctor ring dislodged/stripped from it's stationary location
Wiring harness chafing causing short
Wiring open in CKP circuit

Copied from:
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (obd-codes.com)
What does CKP Mean? (Crank Position Sensor?)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What does CKP Mean? (Crank Position Sensor?)
Yes. Makes little sense they use that acronym...CK Crank P Position.

The problem may not be the sensor it self. Have to check everything connected to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never found the problem. Car still shifts strange sometimes but no further error codes have been generated.

Fuel additive won't work for GDI engines though if you were planning on using it for cleaning intake valves

1 - 12 of 12 Posts