Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed according to CR that their biggest gripe with the 2010 Forte were creaks and rattles. I've also been reading that some people are experiencing creases forming in the body of the car. Are people with the 2011 model still experiencing these problems or has Kia solved these issues. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mark

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
No creaks and rattles here in my '11. Creases in the body? That sounds bizarre.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Nothing in my '10, and I have almost 9k on the odo. CR has odd procedures for quality reports, as well as testing. And body creases????

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
Body creases are more pronounced on the Koups. Sedans appear to have mild ones on the quarter panels about 3.5" in front of the rear tail lights. Koups have several creases -- doors, quarter panels, and sail panels. The creases appear when the weather turns cold. MAY be due to the sound deadener they are using...deadener shrinks in cold weather and causes the sheet metal to distort. When it warms up the creases go away.

I've seen the creases in every Koup (2010 and 2011) I've looked at...and my wife's sedan has the mild creases too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Is the Forte 5 (hatchback) also classified as a sedan?
Meaning it would also be affected by the crease issue? Thanks.

Mark

Body creases are more pronounced on the Koups. Sedans appear to have mild ones on the quarter panels about 3.5" in front of the rear tail lights. Koups have several creases -- doors, quarter panels, and sail panels. The creases appear when the weather turns cold. MAY be due to the sound deadener they are using...deadener shrinks in cold weather and causes the sheet metal to distort. When it warms up the creases go away.

I've seen the creases in every Koup (2010 and 2011) I've looked at...and my wife's sedan has the mild creases too.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is the Forte 5 (hatchback) also classified as a sedan?
Meaning it would also be affected by the crease issue? Thanks.

Mark
I haven't looked closely enough at a 5 yet. If Kia uses the same sound deadener on the 5 then it probably will have these creases. If you have a 5 look at the quarter panel about 3.5 inches forward of the rear tail light -- and the sheet metal has to be cold to the touch. You only see them in the paint reflection - look for a mirror image that has lines in it to show the crease off.

The sound deadener is glued to the sheet metal so this does sound plausible -- I have only seen one comment about the deadener...and so far it sounds like this could be the culprit, considering the creases go away when the sheet metal warms up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks again. I just bought a new 2011 Forte 5 SX last Friday. Unfortunately the temperature lately here has been in the +5-10 degree celsius range -not exactly cold. Next week the temperature is forecast to drop to around -5. I'll wait till then to have a look.

Mark

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
It's a distraction when you look at the cars when the creases are visible...as long as they go away when the sheet metal gets warm I'm not going to do anything about them. If it does turn out the sound deadener is the reason I might try to remove it and put something else in its' place.

By far the worst crease is on the Koups door...when it gets real cold it looks like someone tried closing a partially-closed door with their hip and dented the metal in. Boy was I happy to see it disappear in the sunlight!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had creaks were the drivers seat touched the center. I sprayed that sucker with DuPont teflon lube. Gone!

My windscreen got terribly wavy after a cold snap. It hasn't recovered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The windshield I dont think is that good of quality. Mine got a huge crack in it after 1500 miles of driving and had to get it replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts