Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not a forte owner but a prospective one. I like the looks and price of the car, and that it comes with bluetooth, but haven't test driven anything yet.

questions---I am cross shopping the kia, jetta, and mazda 3. anyone else looked at these same cars and have thoughts on how the kia stacks up?

also, I've got a dealer quote of the EX sedan auto for 14712 (pre-tax). I think this is a very good price but want to know what you all think?

thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Go and test drive the cars you are interested in! Only you will know if you're satisfied...I'd say get the Forte...but I'm baised!

·
Registered
14 Posts
also, I've got a dealer quote of the EX sedan auto for 14712 (pre-tax). I think this is a very good price but want to know what you all think?

thanks!
wobsites such as edmunds.com and kelly blue book has prices for autos based on how much other people usually pay. you can see how your dealer's pricing stacks up based on those. you also gotta remember, however, the pricing on the auto will vary based on demand and how much the dealer wants to move that particular vehicle.

also, edmunds.com has some good articles on buying a new car and such in their tips section. definitely worth checking it out.

ditto on test drive as well. don't pressured to buy something just b/c you test drove it and feel free to walk out.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Hi, not a forte owner but a prospective one. I like the looks and price of the car, and that it comes with bluetooth, but haven't test driven anything yet.

questions---I am cross shopping the kia, jetta, and mazda 3. anyone else looked at these same cars and have thoughts on how the kia stacks up?

thanks!
Depending on the models/Trim the below will differ slightly.

The Forte is peppier than the the other two at the equivalent trims.

The Mazda will handle slightly better. The Jetta is a more neutral mature feeling car.

You can't beat the Forte in terms of Tech/safety - price ratio.

The Styling on the Mazda 3 is polarizing. The Jetta looks damn good and so does the Forte (he worked for Audi it damn well better look good).

Reliability for the Jetta is still iffy. Mazda 3 is good old FoMoCo tech so it's decent. But I've seen some pretty crazy Mazda 3s with blown motors that needed to be rebuilt.

You should test drive all 3 and then work out the numbers. You'll probably find the Forte coming out on top.

·
Registered
218 Posts

thanks!
That Bluetooth is definitely worth having. I purchased a Tracfone with Bluetooth yesterday and it works wonderfully in the car. Just speak the phone number and the phone number appears on the display and the call goes to the number shown. All that one needs to do is to use the finger/thumb controls on the steering wheel. I wish I had it on my recent trip.

Personally I would go with the SX five door but I am biased. With the bigger engine, fog lamps and the like it is a much more complete vehicle. And it will handle much better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are smart you will stay away from VW. I had an Audi A6 and I have lots of friends with VWs and they are a POS in the long run. They are the most unreliable brand of cars.....RUN!!!!!!! I love my Forte. Lots of features standard, but stay away from the base LX. The one good standard feature of the LX is Bluetooth. You get a lot more car over the Mazda for the price. The EX trim is great. If I had to do it again however I would get the SX.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you are smart you will stay away from VW. I had an Audi A6 and I have lots of friends with VWs and they are a POS in the long run. They are the most unreliable brand of cars.....RUN!!!!!!! I love my Forte. Lots of features standard, but stay away from the base LX. The one good standard feature of the LX is Bluetooth. You get a lot more car over the Mazda for the price. The EX trim is great. If I had to do it again however I would get the SX.
The May, 2011 issue of CU placed the VW Jetta in dead last.

Among the small sedans they were ranked as follows:

1) Hyundai Elantra
2) Nissan Sentra
3) Subaru Impresa
4) Toyota Corolla
5) Mazda 3 Touring
6) Kia Forte EX

All were "checkmarked" and recommended.

The rest were
7) Chevrolet Cruze (1.4)
8) Suzuki SK4
9) Chevrolet Cruze (1.8)
10 Mitsubishi Lancer
11) Volkswagen Jetta SE

Classification "Sporty Cars under $25,000 with manual"

1) Mini Cooper
2) Kia Forte Koup SX

Both were "checkmarked" and recommended.

3) Nissan Sentra
4) Scion tC
5) Honda CR-Z EX
6) Mitsubishi Eclipse

I drove a new 2012 Ford Focus yesterday and it didn't measure up to the Kia Forte in a number of respects. I had expected more. Too much complication and the Forte is much more intuitive. And MUCH better equipped. The Bluetooth is definitely worth having.

·
Registered
350 Posts
a VW will be as reliable as you let it be. if you take care of the car it will take care of you in return.

id get a new jetta sedan if i could get rid of my koup any day!!

im a VW guy though. i always will be. trust me the VW community is one of the best car communities out there and the after market for a new jetta is great..

new jettas look nicer then forte sedans anyway. just my honest opinion..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would never buy a VW. More than one mechanic has told me and some friends to just stay away from them. They work well for 3 years and then it's headache after headache. A co-worker got a GTI and I told him to watch out for reliability problems. Sure enough, he's having issue after issue and said I was right. A year later, he's thinking of getting rid of the car while he still can. Also, parts and service are crazy expensive. He went in for a routine oil change/checkup and his invoice came out to about $600. They charge $99/hour for labor.

Just to get back on topic though, I'm now in the process of deciding between the M3 and Forte. I've ruled out the Focus after test-driving it last week. Car is disappointing on many levels. I've also had to rule out the Elantra sadly. Everything is great with the car except for the harsh/choppy suspension. That is a deal breaker for me since we have horrible roads in Montreal. It's too bad though, it was otherwise a winner.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about the new Jetta. They cheapened it a lot to drop the price on it apparently. Oh and if you honk your horn the car shuts off. derpderp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
a VW will be as reliable as you let it be. if you take care of the car it will take care of you in return.

id get a new jetta sedan if i could get rid of my koup any day!!

im a VW guy though. i always will be. trust me the VW community is one of the best car communities out there and the after market for a new jetta is great..

new jettas look nicer then forte sedans anyway. just my honest opinion..
They do look nicer and my A6 had the best fit and finish of any car I owned and drove like a dream with the quattro, when I wasn't pushing it LOL They are just maintenance hogs and there is no reason a car should be that NEEDY for maintenance these days.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would never buy a VW. More than one mechanic has told me and some friends to just stay away from them. They work well for 3 years and then it's headache after headache. A co-worker got a GTI and I told him to watch out for reliability problems. Sure enough, he's having issue after issue and said I was right. A year later, he's thinking of getting rid of the car while he still can. Also, parts and service are crazy expensive. He went in for a routine oil change/checkup and his invoice came out to about $600. They charge $99/hour for labor.

Just to get back on topic though, I'm now in the process of deciding between the M3 and Forte. I've ruled out the Focus after test-driving it last week. Car is disappointing on many levels. I've also had to rule out the Elantra sadly. Everything is great with the car except for the harsh/choppy suspension. That is a deal breaker for me since we have horrible roads in Montreal. It's too bad though, it was otherwise a winner.

yep my audi was $115 hr for labor. I was thinking I was in the wrong business. lol

·
Registered
218 Posts

I wanted to discuss your opinion of the Elantra. When I first drove my Forte 5dr SX I too thought the suspension was harsh and noisy. But I can state that having driven it on a 1,000 mile trip I really, really appreciated the crisp handling in the Ozarks mountains. I'd reconsider the Elantra as well as the Forte. I've not driven the Elantra but CU puts it at the top of the heap. That's not a small matter. I agree completely about the 2012 Focus. I was expecting much more but it didn't fulfill my expectations. Beautiful car but inferior to the Kia and I assume inferior to the Elantra. And I've bought a whole passel of new Fords so I was predisposed to be impressed. Was not to be.

Can't speak to the M3. Haven't driven one.

I'll throw out a wild card here. What about the Ford Fusion? I've owned one and it has everything where it should be and a proven performer. With the handling package it will get the job done as well. I'm going to take a very serious look at the Fusion Hybrid just to satisfy my curiosity when and if the dealer gets one in.

And if a person could find a pristine, low mileage Honda Accord of the 2007 vintage it would satisfy anyone desiring a driver's car. But it would be used. But it is one fine automobile.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've driven the new Elantra several times since it was on my short list for a new car. The suspension is indeed somewhat choppy (to use Topspin's description). I also thought the view out the Elantra's rear three-quarter (over your right shoulder) was too compromised due to the swoopy shape. Compared to the Forte Five SX, I'd say that the Elantra also had a bit more road noise. While not big deal, I was also a bit concerned about the all-season performance of the Elantra Limited's low-rolling resistance tires.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
i was cross shopping the 3, and here's my opinion.

VW Jetta: Good car, but the one that made me happy was over $20,000, i don't like how basic the base model is.

Mazda 3: Looked too "cute" for my taste. and i felt it was a bit tight. (legroom wise)

Koup SX: thats what i got, i test drove an EX auto, and it was alright, main reason i got the SX wast the interior, then the engine and suspension.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've driven the new Elantra several times since it was on my short list for a new car. The suspension is indeed somewhat choppy (to use Topspin's description). I also thought the view out the Elantra's rear three-quarter (over your right shoulder) was too compromised due to the swoopy shape. Compared to the Forte Five SX, I'd say that the Elantra also had a bit more road noise. While not big deal, I was also a bit concerned about the all-season performance of the Elantra Limited's low-rolling resistance tires.
You do raise a good point. The visibility out of my Forte 5 door is quite good. That's no small item. And the tires and suspension are very, very good in the SX which I have.

The only beef I have with it is that it doesn't come with anti-theft. I'm going to have to rectify that soon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you believe the reviews of our stock tires on Tire Rack (I don't), you'd think the OEM SX tires were made of wood. I agree that the Goodyear LS2's that come with the SX are just fine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you believe the reviews of our stock tires on Tire Rack (I don't), you'd think the OEM SX tires were made of wood. I agree that the Goodyear LS2's that come with the SX are just fine.
I agree. I've been quite satisfied with the stock Goodyears and pleasantly surprised in that previous experience with Goodyears have not been very good. Whatever, these tires track straight and grip the road quite well.

I've read hundreds of reviews of tires at Tire Rack and it is my impression that the more miles compiled the reviews go down. I suspect this is because the tires ability to track and grip markedly decline as the miles roll up. The truth is that tires should come off at 4/32ths and not the mandatory 2/32ths. Even there the stopping ability is doubled over that of new tires. Since the tires are the only thing between me and the pavement I don't push the envelope but replace them when they are visibly worn. Where I live, that yields about 25,000 miles. But it sure beats the hospital bills from an auto accident that was otherwise preventable with new tires.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The stock goodyears are good in dry, ok in wet, OMFGSOBADIDONTEVENHAVEWORDSTODESCRIBE in snow. In roughly 15k miles I had one go flat, one get a giant air bubble, and another with a leak. I recently replaced them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS's and could not be happier.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had Continentals and I wouldn't put them on a go-cart. I've always believed the Toyos were probably the best but then they started building them in China as well as Japan so I'm not so sure anymore. Michelins are fine but you need to put a second mortgage on your home to afford them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.