Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Kia Forte but ever since I bought it 6 months ago, I have been having issues with my cruise control. I drive a lot in the greater Miami, FL area and traffic is horendous sometimes. When I approach traffic, I turn of my cruise, but once it clears up, I try to turn it back on and numerous times, the cruise light won't even turn on! I have noticed that when this happens, the "ECO" light also does not turn on. I took it in for service to complain this issue twice already but they say they cannot do anything unless I can duplicate it again..which of course when I need it to turn off to show them, it works perfectly fine -_-. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems like the ECO light on my EX sedan seems to take a couple minutes to turn on and start working correctly; usually about a 1/3 a mile away from my house. Sorry I couldn't help...

·
Registered
31 Posts
STOP turning the cruise OFF,,,, just hit the "resume" button and the car will return to the last speed you had "set".

Once you have the cruise control turned ON, there is NEVER any reason to turn it OFF.

Just tapping the brake pedal will give throttle control back to YOU. There is no need to hit the OFF button. Press "resume" to give throttle control back to the computer, returning the car to the last speed you had set.

Understand?

The cruise control will turn itself "off" when you turn off the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
STOP turning the cruise OFF,,,, just hit the "resume" button and the car will return to the last speed you had "set".

Once you have the cruise control turned ON, there is NEVER any reason to turn it OFF.

Just tapping the brake pedal will give throttle control back to YOU. There is no need to hit the OFF button. Press "resume" to give throttle control back to the computer, returning the car to the last speed you had set.

Understand?

The cruise control will turn itself "off" when you turn off the car.

I'm not turning the cruise control OFF. That's the problem. Without even touching it, the cruise turns OFF by itself. Before I get a chance to pick speed up again, the cruise shuts OFF on its own and when I try to click CRUISE again, nothing happens.

Understand?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
sounds like somebody might have a short... ?
perhaps there is a issue in the switch side?
also read about somebody needing to tap on the brakes before they could get there cruise to work.. perhaps the pedel kill switch on the brake pedal needs to be adjusted i don't know I'm just shooting in the dark here good luck sorry your having troubles

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Are you sure you are not resting your foot on the brake pedal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your concern but on my way driving home from work the cruise turned off on it's own again so this time I drove straight to the service department at the dealership and they were SHOCKED that they could not get the cruise to turn on. They will be running some tests on the car next week to find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Thank you all for your concern but on my way driving home from work the cruise turned off on it's own again so this time I drove straight to the service department at the dealership and they were SHOCKED that they could not get the cruise to turn on. They will be running some tests on the car next week to find out what the problem is.
That's using the Ol' Noodle...LoL! It's a lot easier to fix what you can find wrong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Kia Cerato 2.0 SX yesterday (the South African SX model is called a Cerato instead of Forte and it uses the 2.0 Theta II and not 2.4 engine) and I also have cruise control issues.

Problem 1:
The first problem I had was the cruise control wouldn't switch on at all (no cruise light lit) so I took it back to the dealer. As luck would have it when the dealer turned the ignition on and pressed the cruise control button the "cruise" light lit.

Problem 2:
I left the dealer and with the cruise control switched on tried to set the cruise speed at 80km/h and 100km/h but nothing happens. I'll be taking it back to the dealer again.

I was being an idiot - the cruise control does work. I had my foot touching the clutch pedal which kept it disengaged. The problem of the cruise control not always switching on still remains. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A restart normally sorts out the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a recall on the programming of the Forte apparently. I ended up finding this out when I went in for the third time to complain about my cruise control. The service manager thought maybe an update in the car's programming would solve my cruise control issue...but it did not.

Kia apparently only gives loner cars on a case-by-case issue. So I called the company to make a case and received notice that they woud contact the dealership I bought my forte from and discuss giving me a loner so they can run some tests on my forte regarding the cruise issue. It's so simple because they can easily put in a new cruise control. But the company will not let the service department do so without running tests on it. What a mission and a pain for me.

I hope you don't have to go through the same thing Surge. But definitely don't wait too long to complain about the issue because it becomes a real problem when you wait =/ Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

My wife has a six month old Cerato (Forte) SLI, which she loves, that sounds like it has a very similar, if not the same, problem.

Sometimes the cruise light goes out and won't go back on, sometimes the cruise light is on but it won't "set".

It's been back to the dealer twice and the second time they thought they had fixed it by replaceing the switch on the clutch (it's a 5 speed manual by the way).

Everytime this happens (and it's happened to me when I've been driving the car), you can fix the problem by stopping the car, turning the ignition off, then re-starting (i.e. re-booting the computer). My bets are on the computer being faulty, but as it's an intermittent fault I don't think they will be in a hurry to replace that expensive bit!!

Keep us all informed on your progress with your dealer and I'll do the same (my wife is going in next week to let them know that they have not fixed it).

·
Registered
427 Posts
My cruise control will randomly decide to stop applying power to the wheels on occasion. Anyone have this issue as well?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi there,

My wife has a six month old Cerato (Forte) SLI, which she loves, that sounds like it has a very similar, if not the same, problem.

Sometimes the cruise light goes out and won't go back on, sometimes the cruise light is on but it won't "set".
I noticed same thing with my Cerato Koup this morning for the first time, cruise control light was on but I couldn't set it .:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there,

It's been back to the dealer twice and the second time they thought they had fixed it by replaceing the switch on the clutch (it's a 5 speed manual by the way).

Everytime this happens (and it's happened to me when I've been driving the car), you can fix the problem by stopping the car, turning the ignition off, then re-starting (i.e. re-booting the computer). My bets are on the computer being faulty, but as it's an intermittent fault I don't think they will be in a hurry to replace that expensive bit!!

Keep us all informed on your progress with your dealer and I'll do the same (my wife is going in next week to let them know that they have not fixed it).

Well after they finally gave me a loaner car, the issue was an open circuit. They put a scan tool on the vehicle and got a code (P0504) and they replaced a break light switch. They test drove it and now it is operating as designed. It was a mission but I'm sure glad to have my car back. Hopefully this will help you with the same issue of the cruise control!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well after they finally gave me a loaner car, the issue was an open circuit. They put a scan tool on the vehicle and got a code (P0504) and they replaced a break light switch. They test drove it and now it is operating as designed. It was a mission but I'm sure glad to have my car back. Hopefully this will help you with the same issue of the cruise control!
Thanks for the feedback, my wifes' car goes in next week. I hope it as simple as your fix!

·
Registered
5 Posts
had the same problem. Found out that when I was pushing the ''set'' button with no response, I just have to push the brakes one or two times, and then the cruise set on ...

·
Registered
139 Posts
had the same problem. Found out that when I was pushing the ''set'' button with no response, I just have to push the brakes one or two times, and then the cruise set on ...
mine was the same way, like the brake was ever so slightly engaged or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, my wifes' car goes in next week. I hope it as simple as your fix!
Well doesn't look like it was that simple. The dealer checked the switches etc, wouldn't fail for them this time (although they have seen it fail on previous visits). They are going to contact Kia tech support to see what to do next (didn't like my suggestion to try the ECU for some reason).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.