Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Now that we have a couple drivers out there, has anyone had any problems with their cruise control? Here's what I'm having:

1) In the mornings, my cruise will not even turn on until the car warms up. Once the car is warm, I have to turn the car off and back on to get cruise working.

2) When I was driving about 250miles back from Tex to OK, my cruise would just disengage without a breaking or button action.

Anyone having any other issues?

I've taken into the dealer and they ordered a replacement cruise control unit, but I'm skeptical that it will fix the problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey guys,

Now that we have a couple drivers out there, has anyone had any problems with their cruise control? Here's what I'm having:

1) In the mornings, my cruise will not even turn on until the car warms up. Once the car is warm, I have to turn the car off and back on to get cruise working.

2) When I was driving about 250miles back from Tex to OK, my cruise would just disengage without a breaking or button action.

Anyone having any other issues?

I've taken into the dealer and they ordered a replacement cruise control unit, but I'm skeptical that it will fix the problem.
I have the same issue and the dealer has ordered a new unit as well. It should be here in a few days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know...but isn't encouraging. This is my first KIA and all my friends and family are skeptical of quality, but with that awesome warranty, I took a chance. I hope this fixes it. I am loving the car otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem today. The cruise would not work at all until I pulled over, shut off the engine and started it again. Then on the highway the cruise would work for a while then quit again. My 1st service is due next week. I will have it looked at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow that is not good. If you can report the problem to Truedelta so we can gauge how reliable and common problems for the car are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife's Kia Cerato (the name of the Forte in Australia) has had ongoing problems with the cruise control. It is cutting out and it is not able to be reset unless the car is turned off and then turned back on. The dealer has replaced the brake switch and adjusted switches several times however the problem has just re-occured, its about to go back in for the 4th time!

Also check out this thread:

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/forte-sedan-general-discussion/1673-cruise-control-issue.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
My wife's Kia Cerato (the name of the Forte in Australia) has had ongoing problems with the cruise control. It is cutting out and it is not able to be reset unless the car is turned off and then turned back on. The dealer has replaced the brake switch and adjusted switches several times however the problem has just re-occured, its about to go back in for the 4th time!

My Cerato Koup has same issue if I touch the brake pedal this usually resets the cruise control somehow

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just a heads up, if they try to replace a sensor behind the dash and they break an AC vent make sure you getting a matching one. My dealership broke mine and replaced it with a mismatched one. They said the part number was the same for both of them.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts

My Cerato Koup has same issue if I touch the brake pedal this usually resets the cruise control somehow
The brake pedal will disengage the cruise -- made to do that -- what do you mean by "resets the cruise"...does it change the speed setting when you touch the brake?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been having some problems with my cruise control too. I have been trying to narrrow it down a bit, as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have been trying to think of reasons why it might not, such as the traction control being active before I try to use it, or simply a very cold temperature. I even wondered if perhaps it won't engage above a certain speed.

So far I haven't been able to pin it down to anything. I have only used the cruise control maybe 10 times combined over a couple of road trips and it has happened to me 3 times. I have noticed that if the cruise does not work it does require that the ignition be turned off completely before it might be usable again. Turning the ignition off and back on again while in neutral at speed on the highway didn't work (by the way, please don't ever try this, it's dangerously stupid), I found that even pulling over and turning it off for five seconds was not enough, so I ignored it and drove on. I stopped at the next town for lunch for 15-20 minutes, and then when I got back onto the highway, the cruise started working again.

It happened again on my last road trip, but I couldn't pin it to anything then, either. I still kind of wonder if it isn't the computer seeing a -15 temperature and disabling it due to possible ice conditions? Certainly though, I think that as an experienced driver it should be my decision as to when the cruise can be used, not some damn computer. If this is the case, it should be reprogrammable.

As someone mentioned above, my cruise suddenly kicked out on me going up a reasonably steep hill, but I have had that happen to me in my Cavy and my truck on the same hill, so I wasn't surprised by that one. The cruise worked again after that, so that is probably due to the cruise control realizing WOT and not gaining speed, and then disengaging out of safety.

So what are your experiences when this happens? Does your cruise work for a while and then suddenly disengage, or does it just refuse to set when you press it? Does it ever come back or do you have to shut off the car? How often does it happen to you? What is the temperature and weather conditions when it happens? Any other observations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi everyone,

I have a koup sx 6sp for 1 year now. I'm at 24 000 km now. I have this trouble before my first oil change... From what i remember, I having it since 6 000 km maybe. I found 2 different way that the cruise didn't work. The first one is the cruise control don't want to turn on. I can't have the light in the dash that tell you the cruise is working. And i can't set the speed....

The second trouble is like some people said. I have the cruise turn on. So the light for the cruise is on. And couple of minutes later, before i can't even set the speed. The cruise turn off by itself...

In both case, I can't do anything... I have to restart the car and it will work after.... I'm having this trouble maybe one time per 2 weeks....!!

I went 4 times at the dealer for this trouble since my first oil change. And it still not working! First time, they change the switch on the clutch pedal that turn off the cruise if you touch the clutch. They were thinking that the switch was to sensitive... (yeah, and how the hell that turn off completely the cruise control..... well..)

Second time, they change the switch on the steering wheel.... and doesn't change anything again! They tough the switch wasn't good for some reason that i don't know!

The 3rd time... they found nothing, they talked to kia main service and they were supposed to call me back. They keep my car for 3 days this time.... They give me my car back and told me they will call me... One month later, no news! I call them, they ask me to give them the car when I will have the trouble again.. so ok..

This week, I went to the dealer because it happen again! now it's the 3rd day they have my car. They think they found something. I still have not talk to the guy at the service but in his message he talked about the switch on the clutch again...! I really wish they will find it because i'm starting to get mad! I've lost so much time because of this problem. And i'm doing a lot of highway, so the cruise is a must have for me! If i'm having trouble again after this time. I'm going to write something to kia canada....

I will keep looking at this tread to see if anyone have the solution one day.. i hope so!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having the same problems here...

Sometimes the cruise will not turn on at all...When it does go on sometimes it won't set...I find that if I push the cancel button then try and reset the cruise it will set...I was thinking maybe it was the switch on the steering wheel, but I haven't gotten a chance to take the car to KIA...Anyone know if there's any TSB's or recalls yet?...I'll have to check when I go into work tomorrow...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The brake pedal will disengage the cruise -- made to do that -- what do you mean by "resets the cruise"...does it change the speed setting when you touch the brake?
Yes I get that the cruise will disengage when either the brake or clutch (in a manual) is operated.

My wifes car has two problems:
1. the cruise will not come on at all (have to turn the ignition switch completely off and restart to get it working again)
2 the cruise will switch on but the "set" switch has no effect i.e. set light does not come on and speed is not held (again have to turn the ignition switch completely off and restart to get it working again)

Both these problems can happen when the car is being driven with cruise working fine.

My feeling is that it is a computer problem, what you are doing when you switch the ignition completly off then on again is effectively a computer "reboot"

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had some news today about my koup. Seem there is a junction box where there is the wiring of the cruise that is not working good... Can't really tel you more because this is what they told me. I'll have my car back this friday. Hope everything will be ok after this! I'll give you my feedback couple of weeks later!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any update JH? We had a warmer morning here in Tulsa (above 35 deg) and my cruise worked from the start. This has to be a cold weather thing I think.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well i got my car back today, still not fixed. they replaced the cruise unit and some switch today. The dealership techs are stumped, they want to call kia direct after the holidays to get some ideas on the problem. Everything worked great for 10 mins then shut down. If you restart the car it will work for 10 mins or so and then shut down.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my car back but didn't talk to the service people. I will have more details when i will call then. My cruise is working now, but still not sure if it's ok... I will keep you update when i'll have some news.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Car is back at the dealer today for more testing. They don't have any idea what is wrong but I give them credit for trying. They are going to trace the entire cruise control circuit and look for faults. I'll post later today what they find.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.