Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the cruise control work?! No matter how hard I try to figure it out.. I just end up having the cruise button light come on, and getting nothing, I just turn the light off. Its just been bothering me for the past week... and I'm a bit to lazy to look it up in the manual. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Once the cruise control is "on", press down on the right "toggle" switch (marked "-" or "Set") on the steering wheel and that should do it. Then you can sen increase or decrease the speed with the same switch!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll definitely do that first thing tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
You've got to turn it on and then use the up/down switch to set it. Press down or up to activate it, up to accelerate and down to decelerate in 2 mph increments. Cancel disables it without touching the brakes and pressing up again resumes where it was after hitting the brakes or canceling.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
isnt there a limit of how slow you can go b4 you can use the cruise control? i cant get mine to work until like 25 mph. i tried using it in a school zone and it wouldnt work

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, thanks for the details kenny c! I'm really happy there are ppl out there who can help me in a heart beat! :D thanks so much guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know of a way to make the cruise control come on with the ignition?

I would like it to be on when I start the car. I find that I'm always trying to set it before it's turned on. Very irritating!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cruise control should be turned on manually NOT automatically with the ignition. There are many liability / safety issues to be considered when tampering with cruise control. I would leave it as it is and not alter the factory specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cruise control should be turned on manually NOT automatically with the ignition. There are many liability / safety issues to be considered when tampering with cruise control. I would leave it as it is and not alter the factory specs.
Thanks michael, That is sound advise.

Problem is my Accord's cruise control button can be set to always on and that's what I'm used to. I searched the net and didn't really find anything other than some manufacturers can be set to always on and some require it turned on each time after ignition.

Just playing around with the cruise control on/off button on the steering wheel I found that if you depress the button before turning on the ignition it stays on. I'm going to wedge the button down with a tooth pic and see if that puts it in an always on state of operation. The tooth pic can be quickly removed if there is some unforeseen problem and this allows me to trial this mod with little risk. If the tooth pic works OK over the next week or so, I will look for a way to jumper the cruise control button permanently for an always on state of operation.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
BS! LoL!! It's not about tampering with the cruise control, just smarter controls: My 03 Sorento has a switch that can stay on all the time so all I have to do is hit the "engage" button to set the cruise speed. I HATE that I have to remember to reactivate the cruise after stopping at a rest stop -- I'd rather just hit the engage when I'm ready.

·
Registered
129 Posts
oh by the way, if you have a manual trans. you have to make sure you're not on the clutch even slightly or it won't engage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well it didn't work. The CC trips out and shuts off about 30 seconds after the engine starts. It can't be turned back on until the ignition is turned off and back on again.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd guess your computer has stored a DTC -- trouble code. Probably an emissions type that is preventing CC from working. Go to an Autozone and ask them to read your OBDII -- to see if you have a code present and have them erase it to see if that will let your cruise work. then take it to the dealer for them to check it out -- Or take it to the dealer for them to work instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
His car isn't broken it's just not allowing that method of work-around.

My BF did something like this for his Subaru and I remember him saying the trick was a delayed switch that kicks in after 15 seconds. That way the car starts and then the CC is switched on.

I'll ask him tonight if he has any info I can pass along. As I recall he did it all very quickly and with some wire taps to avoid any cut wires or anything silly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lex87,

Your right, nothing wrong with my car. The CC trips out when the button is pushed in to long but it resets and works fine after cycling the ignition.

I saw something in another forum about Subaru CC and some people wishing to change it but I didn't see it come to a resolution.

Any info you could share would great. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts