Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wanted to do a CIA for the new car but looking at the ones online they were more than i wanted to spend and mounted way to low in the engine bay for me living in Iowa. This time a year we get alot of rain so didnt want to worry about it sucking up water. So here is my intake. Used spectre parts from autozone and including the 2 filters spend about $80 on it. Also because of were the filter now mounts i put a duct from the front air inlet to the factory airbox along with taking the filter out so that it still acts as a little ram air tube. Let me know what you guys thing of this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks good. How long did it take to install and what was the HP increase?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not take long at all. Maybe an hour in all. Took longer to cut open all the plastic packages than it did to put this in. as for HP not sure. i think all the cold air kits i have seen say 5 to 6 so maybe that. The sound is also very good. Not super loud but a nice deep throaty sound. I do have a list of all the part #'s that i used for this if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
well nice to see some ingenuity take out the stock airboc man you will have a ton more room under there and you can use zip ties to mount the ecu. also dont worry about the ecu over heating just take that stuff out

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well nice to see some ingenuity take out the stock airboc man you will have a ton more room under there and you can use zip ties to mount the ecu. also dont worry about the ecu over heating just take that stuff out
I may end up taking it out but want to make a real bracket to mount it. Do not want to mess with zip tieing the ECU on a car that has 275 miles on it :D Dealer may not like that to much. But I am sure i can come up with a nice solid bracket some time that will look good and function well. Right now I do like the set up that i have. Gives it not only a custom look but also a factory look as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will get those part #'s posted tomorrow or Sat. I have to work at both jobs today so wont be home til late. But have a nice long holiday weeked off so cant wait to go out and drive the new car around.

·
Registered
532 Posts
With elimination of air box you would need to relocate your vacuum advance for your brake boost

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the part #'s for all the spectre parts i used. the air filter and breather filter are red but there is a few other colors so the part #'s will vary depending on the colors you want.

Red 3"to2.5" coupler part # 8772 $7.99
90 degree 3" elbow part # 8698 $10.99
4" long 3" strght tube part #8708 $8.99
3" red air filter large part # 9132 $19.99
red breather filter part # 3992 $9.99
Black flex air duct part # 8741 $19.99
With tax and all $82.62 compared to one of the other pre made kits ranging from $220 to $300 plus not mounting it so low down in the fender that there is a chance of hydro lock i would say this is a great price and looks very nice as well. Gives a very custom look but still remains a factory look as well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What does that little filter do? And why is it there?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What does that little filter do? And why is it there?
That just replaces the factory crank case breather tube that goes to the intake tube. Just looks better than running a small hose to the intake pipe like the factory one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i took your parts list less what i already had and built mine. I'll have to get some pics loaded up. I put the 90 out of the coupling to the 4 inch straight to the filter.The straight first put everything right on my upper hose. I'm fabing up a bracket to support the filter which is lower in the engine bay. Other than that its a good fit.thanks for the numbers

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
always glad to help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I wanted to do a CIA for the new car but looking at the ones online they were more than i wanted to spend and mounted way to low in the engine bay for me living in Iowa. This time a year we get alot of rain so didnt want to worry about it sucking up water. So here is my intake. Used spectre parts from autozone and including the 2 filters spend about $80 on it. Also because of were the filter now mounts i put a duct from the front air inlet to the factory airbox along with taking the filter out so that it still acts as a little ram air tube. Let me know what you guys thing of this.

hi, i like the set up that u created, 1st ? can water reach the air filter? 2nd? on the installation the coupler goes 1st, then the 4" long straight pipe after that the 90 degree elbow and last the filter. thanks for the time

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi, i like the set up that u created, 1st ? can water reach the air filter? 2nd? on the installation the coupler goes 1st, then the 4" long straight pipe after that the 90 degree elbow and last the filter. thanks for the time
we have had a very rainy spring and summer here in Iowa and i can tell you i have not had a issue with water. You would have to have standing water halfway up the grill to reach the filter. So very very high standing water. And yes you are correct, the rubber coupler, 4 in straight pipe to 90 degree elbow to filter. and you are done. one thing i would suggest is to put some lock tight on the camp screws as i noticed a couple of mine loosened up in a few weeks but after i put some lock tight on them they have never come loose again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where is that vacuum line?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I replaced the crank case breather vacume line with the small filter you can see coming out from under the engine cover.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts