Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing a transmission fluid change in my 2020 forte ex with the ivt transmission, I went to a dealer and bought 8 quarts of the oem SP-CVT1 fluid because the trans holds 7.1 quarts. I was curious as how to change the fluid. I can see that there is a drain plug and a fill plug, but I didn’t know if there was any special procedure when I change the fluid. I hope it’s just a simple drain and fill but didn’t know if I needed anything special to do it. Any input on an official way to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,142 Posts
I understand the desire to replace your car's fluid! Let the factory warranty cover it:

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
430 Posts

There's a Kia tech on this thread that shows us how.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
60k miles if in severe usage and never if normal. Most people are severe. I did mine at 50k and I'm going to be doing every 30k moving foward.
Please tell Mkuhn98 how to change the fluid.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Spend a few dollars and let the dealer do it. Don't risk invalidating your warranty or doing something wrong and having to buy a new tranny. I understand a precise amount of fluid matching the fluid that comes out is critical.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Spend a few dollars and let the dealer do it. Don't risk invalidating your warranty or doing something wrong and having to buy a new tranny. I understand a precise amount of fluid matching the fluid that comes out is critical.
This. The number one thing you can do buying a new car is find a good dealership for maintenance and build a relationship with them. My dealership knows me by name, new hires are told who I am, and they know I over maintain, don't cut corners, and know I somewhat know what I'm talking about so they double check their work.

The master mechanic at my shop I go to does the majority of my work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This. The number one thing you can do buying a new car is find a good dealership for maintenance and build a relationship with them. My dealership knows me by name, new hires are told who I am, and they know I over maintain, don't cut corners, and know I somewhat know what I'm talking about so they double check their work.

Couldn't agree more. I would also make an appointment with the service manager and briefly mention that you hope to build that good relationship. Talking with the service manager will give you an idea about the commitment the dealership has with their best customers. If you don't like what see, shop around.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
705 Posts

If you have the time and money this is a great option, and what I’d do if I didn’t do everything myself. I like doing it myself since I find it rewarding and I can learn more about how my car works and is put together, and I save money in the process. Just note if you do this that you should keep receipts, take pictures for documentation, etc so that you can prove you did things in case you need to for the warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have the time and money this is a great option, and what I’d do if I didn’t do everything myself. I like doing it myself since I find it rewarding and I can learn more about how my car works and is put together, and I save money in the process. Just note if you do this that you should keep receipts, take pictures for documentation, etc so that you can prove you did things in case you need to for the warranty.
I have a folder of every interaction reciept since I bought the car (even paint pens). I also write down my mileage for redline fuel additive. I would also submit that if you can't outright buy 2 of a car you shouldn't own 1 of it that car. There is a reason I drive a forte fully decked out instead of a k5 or optima. I'm frugal at 36 and I'm make decent money.

I laugh when 20 something work next to me in decked out Audi's and accords. They are pinching pennies on tires and maintenance ruining their cars in the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts