Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As all of us automatic equiped Koupers are well aware, when in sportmatic shift mode the dash display shows the gear number the car is in at any given moment - 1 to 5. However when not in sportmatic mode all we get is a plain old boring 'D'. Wouldn't it be much more interesting and informative if the display showed the gear number in full automatic mode as well? For instance, when you step on it hard and the trans kicks down might you not like to know what gear you ended up in?

I wonder if this is something that might be settable by the shop's magic box? And if it isn't, maybe it should be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
while i do agree that it would be nice to know what gear im in and if possible would to change it. i know that when i step on it. by the time i lift my foot, im in 5th =] cause i like to keep the pedal down as long as i can =] lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've thought the same thing before, 'I wonder what gear that put me into' and it's not too hard to make an educated guess.. but still it would be nice :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
i no when i had my grand prix there was a guy who made a custom set up to do this. Ill see if i can find it but either way i think itll have to be a custom job. he has a whole curcuit board and wiring the whole 9 yards

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
Taking baby steps into realizing that automatics themselves are boring... ;)
...and less hassle, less work, don't need to hold the clutch when in creeping traffic, no stalling when at a stop light on a hill. I need a manual tranny like I need another hole in my head...LoL

·
Registered
973 Posts
stall at a light on a hill and you need to relearn how to drive stick.
thats all I have to say about that.
get used to driving it in traffic and you barely notice it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No kidding, I much prefer driving my manual in traffic than my wife's auto. Easier to crawl along in 1st gear. Always my right leg that gets tired, not the left. Why would you "hold the clutch" in traffic?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
No kidding, I much prefer driving my manual in traffic than my wife's auto. Easier to crawl along in 1st gear. Always my right leg that gets tired, not the left. Why would you "hold the clutch" in traffic?
If your going to question my comment at least use the whole comment...creeping traffic: where you stop and move 10 feet, stop and move 5 feet, stop and move 20 feet -- all at a snails pace. Lots of clutch action during that time...should have a workout video using the clutch during those times...LoL!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yep, just drove through some of that on the way home today with construction + accident traffic. Still shouldn't hold the clutch in there either, just wear out your throw out bearing.

Still say the manual is much better in that scenario. I actually think more work is required out of the automatic in those scenarios where you tend to ride the brakes so much. In the manual you just pop it in first, clutch out for a bit to get a lil momentum, and pop it back to neutral. You're surrounded by automatics with their brake lights on while you're just coasting. And when not at a total stand still, you are able to crawl along with 1st gear engaged just short of lugging the engine in scenarios where an auto is forced to ride brakes to maintain the same low speed. Unless said automatic driver is usually a manual driver and they are cursing at the lack of a clutch and shifter while flipping it back and forth from 'D' to 'N'. :)

If you're in a performance car...or just a really old one where the clutch action was much heavier I could see that. But in a modern commuter car, even the sporty ones, the clutch action is so light it's really a non-issue. Heck, there's an active thread in the sedan section complaining that the clutch is too light in the Forte.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Still say the manual is much better in that scenario. I actually think more work is required out of the automatic in those scenarios where you tend to ride the brakes so much. In the manual you just pop it in first, clutch out for a bit to get a lil momentum, and pop it back to neutral. You're surrounded by automatics with their brake lights on while you're just coasting. And when not at a total stand still, you are able to crawl along with 1st gear engaged just short of lugging the engine in scenarios where an auto is forced to ride brakes to maintain the same low speed. Unless said automatic driver is usually a manual driver and they are cursing at the lack of a clutch and shifter while flipping it back and forth from 'D' to 'N'. :)

I never ride my brake in an auto. you either hold the brake or coast. Switching autos into N is useless and stupid for ppl who gap out and think their in D. and im not wasting any more gas then the next person.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you don't need see what gear you are in, just locate where your speed is and you pretty much know what gear your car is in and of course if your rpms is like not rocket high, if its steady around 1.5-2 then you should know what gear

·
Registered
570 Posts
I do the same thing as SimonSays. After about 20 minutes of driving my AT Koup I got the hang of knowing what gear I was in. The only down side to that was I still forgot that I have a 6speed and not a 5speed now. So I'd red line in 5th gear wondering what the hell was happening. Haha.

Not sure how easy it'd be to make something like that or even how to get it integrated into the car to look clean, but if you do it that'll be pretty damn impressive. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A/T is only popular here in U.S.A in urope no one use it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
M/T is a hassle sure its more fun...but that fun stops when ur tired...i work late when i get in my car i just wanna cruise home to my bed. i live in downtown toronto the traffic is balls...i guess it all depends on the person...like i wouldnt need M/T but maybe some people go to the track and can have fun with it good for you guys i wish i had that kind of freetime lol...i also wouldnt consider a 2L car performance so meh automatic it is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess you work riding a bicycle,I never heard of some one so tired to push a pedal.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
hey now, dont need to A/T bash, i personally love the auto, how you break it in makes a real difference too. both my koup and spectra5 are A/T. and ive had ppl ask me if it was m/t because of how i drive ( and not with the semi gears/ sport mode) I dont mind M/T, but even the best manual drivers stall and ride clutches now and again (even if you wont addmit it) and with the sport mode option i kinda feel like i got the best of booth worlds anyways. Its all about how fun you make the drive.

~*~ tap the Ebrake and smile :) ~*~

1 - 20 of 29 Posts