Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alrighty... so, one of the final MAJOR items on the to-do list.. was to deaden the roof.... and WOW! what a difference!

Here's a video that has a bunch of the videos below spliced together to show the difference. Below the video will be the log.

*disclaimer* .. Yes i'm out of breath.. hanging into the car with one arm on top and using the free hand to do everything was extremely tiring... (and I'm also a smoker LOL)

Here's a description and some pics!

PLEASE be aware, this is for a Sedan.. a Koup will differ slightly...

also KOUP OWNERS... i'm afraid this will be VERY difficult as I have no idea on how to get the headliner out of the car..., so you may have a difficult time deadening the rear of the roof.

Thanks to Kiatech, the first thing I did was disconnect the battery. Because I have a second battery in the back, I had to disconnect the postive too.

Next, sign of for KGIS and download the roof trim instructions. They basically say, remove the lamps and the holy-crap handles, and lastly the visors/mirrors. ALSO... disconnect their power leads... of course!

Next, remove the front trim pieces... this will help shift the headliner forward.

Next loosen the rear pillar trim

Next, undo the TOP ONLY bolt on the center pillar trim.

after this, pop out the lower center trim panels (this may require you to remove the sill plates in all the doors, and then pull the rubber seal out of all the door frames (or at least out of the way).

at this point you need to disconnect the front trim pegs and the rears.

The only method I can recommend is this:

stick both hands up and in behind the headliner. get your fingers as close to the pegs as possible... and then with firm hands..jerk downward trying to take the peg with your fingers with the headliner.

keep in mind the whole time you don't want to bend or crease the headliner as it's essentially like a formed cardboard.

after the two in the front and the four in the back.. the healiner should be weighing all it's weight down on the top of the center pillars.

at this point I'd recommend tipping the seats down all the way and calling over a friend.( i did it alone.)

Unbolt the lower portion (while hold the headliner with your free hand) of the center upper trim and let it slide down the belt ...the headliner will be resting on that free hand now. Lower it to the seat gently. repeat on the other side.

You'll end up with this!

The roof is very poorly deadened.

Here's a few videos describing the rest!

Oh yeah, I forgot to get better pictures or video just prior to closing the job, but I added Raammat Ensolite to the ceiling as well! The Goods

Cheers!

Let me know if you have any questions!

D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That would be much hard to reach in the Koup since no back door to reach the back. Don't know how you would reach the back without laying on the ceiling cover and bending it.
Sounds great!. Gives me a backache just looking at it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Sweeeet! :D Great job! You certainly got a workout there! Your car is 99.9% Dynamat now!! Lol :p

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'd say about 40% dynamat to 60% Raammat. I ve been buying up all of toronto's craiglist dynamat extreme off cuts since it's SO overpriced in stores. The ensolite however is worth every penny!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
So how much does your car weigh now? lol Who needs lowering springs when you can just weigh the puppy down!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glasses holder

I just stuffed a microfiber cloth into it that I use on the windows. Adds enough downward pressure to stop the rattle.

Careful though, it makes it hard to open afterwards =)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks D,

just to be clear.... u stuffed the material on the top of the housing once the headliner was removed, correct?.... Im going to try a little double sided velcro tape... hopefully that will stop it :)

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks D,

just to be clear.... u stuffed the material on the top of the housing once the headliner was removed, correct?.... Im going to try a little double sided velcro tape... hopefully that will stop it :)
perhaps.

I stuffed the cloth into the sunglass holder itself as I dont put my sunglasses there.

D

·
Registered
126 Posts
it's the difference between your 400-ish watts of sub, and my 1000+ watts :p
:):):):) Funny!!

Wattage in audio is like horsepower in cars and trust in jet engines: too much is almost enough!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wattage in audio is like horsepower in cars and trust in jet engines: too much is almost enough!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Go big or go home. Nothing beats having a ton of headroom so that you're never overdriving your subs/speakers!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******

D113 wrote:Go big or go home. Nothing beats having a ton of headroom so that you're never overdriving your subs/speakers!
too funny:):p

·
Registered
13 Posts
WOW!! How much more does the car weigh now? What kind of fuel economy are you getting now? :) I would love to do what you did, but just don't have the time or energy.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tragic! It's lots of fun! Fuel economy hasn't suffered much I'd say... I mean I have probably 75 lbs of deadener plus the amps and subs. I have an ex so I don't have a mpg meter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts