Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My last oil change was at 6300 miles (around december 10th), Now, at (8100 miles), the oil seems to be a bit dark, at least darker than i think it should be. is that normal for it to be that dark after about 2000 miles? When they did the oil change, it usually comes out golden, i'd expect it to be "light colored" for a bit, For the record, the dealership did the oil change with Pennzoil 5w-20. I also used to have an oil leak.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thats still clean bro trust me... u can get at least another 1000 miles or more out of that..

·
Registered
202 Posts
That looks way to dark. It may be from lots of stop and go driving in the city where the engine has not warmed up to evaporte the excess moisture.

Change the oil. It's only 20 buxs... geezeee

I don't understand the need to go so long between oil changes, it's so cheap and only takes 15 mins....

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks way to dark. It may be from lots of stop and go driving in the city where the engine has not warmed up to evaporte the excess moisture.

Change the oil. It's only 20 buxs... geezeee

I don't understand the need to go so long between oil changes, it's so cheap and only takes 15 mins....

Wow, calm down, i am asking because its only been 1800 miles, i expect at least 3000 from it.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my car has been idling alot recently, no stop and go traffic, all highway, but idles at least 20 minutes or so per day. Remote start keeps it warm for me. I wanna go synthetic, but i am planning to change oil every 3000-5000 miles, and 75$ for synthetic seems a bit too much for me specially that i am a college student

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^^
You can buy the oil at autozone or a type place for 43 dollars for 5 quarts synthetic mobile one..
if you do your own oil changes you'll be saving yourself a bunch of mony just make sure to write down the date keep your Reciepts and you should be fine..
they have a place in the back of your book to keep a journal of oil changes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow, calm down, i am asking because its only been 1800 miles, i expect at least 3000 from it.
yeah sorry for the remark, just a little frustrated at at the oil change threads. :eek:

I'm not directing this at you or anyone but doing regular oil changes is a very cheap insurance policy for you engine. I used to race so I fully understand how important your oil quality is to your engines moving parts and with todays high output engines it is even move critical. The higher rpm engines of today, more so if you race the engine close to red line, creates at lot more heat which will cause most oils to break down faster. When the oil companys decided to remove most of the detergent from the oil, sludge is being formed in engines under 30,000 miles. Changing your oil more frequent is the only way I know to ensure you have lubrication.

Engines that never warm up cause sludge and engines that run hot all the time breaks the oil down.

I'm done my rant...:(

·
Registered
204 Posts
The oil is fine with only 1800 miles on it. I would run it to 4000 since 3750 is the severe use change interval, if I remember corectly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Look at the oil in some older cars with over 100,000 miles on them. You will see shortly after an oil change the dip stick shows very dark and in some cases black. The oil is still good at that point.

Regular changes and you will be fine. I recommend synthetics but that is just my opinion. I prefer the DIY since then I can personally see the under side of the car and maybe notice some other things like boot tearing or dry rotting.

Also no matter how clean or dirty the dipstick is it will be very dark when draining. This just shows the color of the oil on the dipstick is not a good indicator of clean oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The oil is fine with only 1800 miles on it. I would run it to 4000 since 3750 is the severe use change interval, if I remember corectly.
With a KIA filter, the manual states every 7500, or 5000 for severe use.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The only indicator of oil health is a used oil analysis. Color means diddly.
Agree - why spend the 20 bucks on changing the oil for "peace of mind" when you can get real peace of mind by sending the oil to get analyzed for about the same price and you know exactly how and when it is breaking down?

Also, keep in mind the information will be specific to YOUR car, driving habits, and seasonal conditions. None of this generic, "Change the oil with (x) type and every (x) because I never had an issue." No offense intended to anyone.

Driving habits alone would negate any of the comparisons in longevity of oil...

EDIT: noodile, since you're interested in saving money, you might find that you can extend your oil change interval if the lab results indicate you can do so. Of course, keeping in mind Kia's recommended interval should be the maximum for warranty purposes.

Here's what mine looked like on my previous car:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hope you got the coolant leak fixed. My point being that if you had not done a oil test you more than likley woud have run your oil longer with high antifreeze levels, which could hurt the engine and impead the oils ability to perform.

I hope everyone here reads the fine print of your oil test. What if your engine has a small un-noticed coolant leak ????

Plus doing a test proves nothing other than after the fact. I don't want to get into a pissing match with the subject as each to their own, but for a 20 dollar oil change is not alot of money.

I don't know of anyone who goes out and has their used engine oil tested on a regular basics other than if they suspect a engine problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I actually paid to get the head gasket replaced but a subsequent test showed coolant still present in the oil - the shop did drain the old oil and pressure tested the cooling system but couldn't find the source of the leak. They seemed to think it was residue but the lab report was indicating the wear levels were increasing.

So whatever the case I decided to ditch the Sentra and buy the Forte. I was pretty sore over the whole issue since I did my homework on the Sentra, had a pre-purchase inspection done by a garage and everything but things kept popping up and the coolant leak was basically the final straw. I can't even say the previous owner duped me because it turns out that Nissan was having issues with a particular run of head gaskets with the 1.8L engine and all kinds of other issues with the 2.4L engine.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here :) and I see the value of regular oil changes, but just to play devil's advocate - what if there is a manufacturing issue with the engine? There's already been the issue of the leak caused by a loose oil pan...

I never even heard of oil analysis prior to the issue with the Sentra and finding out from other users in a forum - but for the cost (US$20-30) it just makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all the responses, I wasn't asking this to save money, i was just wondering if its normal, and i believe i got my response. I thought of going synthetic, but i found no sense in spending double the price for oil that i'll probably change the same amount (my plan is very 3000, so synthetic's long change interval won't help me much, and i don't have "severe" driving conditions, during summer i usually drive around 80 degree temps, and during winter its around 20, except for a couple of exceptions).

·
Registered
196 Posts
jcbel, Thanks for posting this. I never saw their test results before.

I was curious about a couple things. Did you get this sample while doing an oil change? I ask this since it was at 7546 KM. Did you suspect any problems or were you curious what the results would be?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks guys for all the responses, I wasn't asking this to save money, i was just wondering if its normal, and i believe i got my response. I thought of going synthetic, but i found no sense in spending double the price for oil that i'll probably change the same amount (my plan is very 3000, so synthetic's long change interval won't help me much, and i don't have "severe" driving conditions, during summer i usually drive around 80 degree temps, and during winter its around 20, except for a couple of exceptions).
With oil changes at 3000 miles conventional oil will protect you fine. The reasons for synthetics are not just longer change intervals. I do see your point in not spending the extra money.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was curious about a couple things. Did you get this sample while doing an oil change? I ask this since it was at 7546 KM. Did you suspect any problems or were you curious what the results would be?
I was just curious to be honest, especially with a lot of 1.8L owners posting that they had a head gasket leak. I decided to take a sample from one oil change - I ran the oil longer than I wanted to (life gets in the way from time to time), but the TBN test showed the oil was still holding up and could probably plan on 8000km oil changes.

Mind you this was just store brand dino oil (with some synthetic additives) and it had gone through an Edmonton winter where the temps dip to -40C.

But yeah, I was really disappointed when I got the results back... but then I guess I wouldn't be driving a Forte now!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts