Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about going into my dash to change the red illumination to a cool LED white, or blue. I started looking around, and it may look like on the SX anyways, that part of the red color comes from the red trim around A/C and volume nobs,the speedometer, etc, and that I may be wasting my time if I was trying to change colors.

Does anyone know for sure if the red illumination is bulb only, bulb/plastic, or plastic at least yet?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know how in the hell to go about doing this but if I could change out the red color for green that would be ftw!

·
Registered
78 Posts
i was asking the same thing and the response I got (from the message boards) was that the color usually comes from SMD LEDs (surface mounted) and that normally they are built-in to the circuit board. I too wish I could change the color, but without seeing a schematic for what's behind the dash, I was not going to venture as far as taking things apart just to find out that it was not possible.

Another option I was looking at was to see if the Hyundai Elantra clock (Blue) would be compatible with our Forte clock (Red). I've been busy so I have not done any research as to whether or not this would be possible.

If you find anything out, or if anyone else has any insight, PLEASE let us know! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My shop is a little unorganized from my 85 Ford resto, so once I get some space under control I'll try and arrange a few days to squeeze in there. If I take it apart and its doable with simple bulb swaps, its staying apart till I can get some and change things around.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
check out the website www.kiatechinfo.com it has pics of all the systems and parts in our cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FEARtheFOX, thanks for the link, I finally got it to work. I used to get a 500 Internal Server Error. It worked this time, I registered and had fun looking around.

According to their diagrams, the audio unit, and the a/c unit are two seperate pieces. If you take things apart, you have to go through the center air vents and may need a special tool.

It looks like the audio unit is a fully enclosed unit and the same thing goes for the a/c unit.

If you make any headway, be sure to let us know. :) best of luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the audio unit is a fully enclosed unit and the same thing goes for the a/c unit.

If you make any headway, be sure to let us know. :) best of luck!

Uh oh, is all I have to say. I'll still give it a shot. ...... I think

·
Registered
78 Posts
I saw that you can disassemble the audio unit from its casing, but I'm not sure about the A/C unit... I wonder what it would look like if you had half white buttons and half red. :)

that kiatechinfo site is pretty cool. it even has all the service campaigns and bulletins for all the Kia models. check it out if you haven't already!

·
Registered
202 Posts
man that is something that I would not mess with, it don't bug me at all, well my koup is red maybe thats why I say it, it gose with my car I guess but hey good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
i was asking the same thing and the response I got (from the message boards) was that the color usually comes from SMD LEDs (surface mounted) and that normally they are built-in to the circuit board. I too wish I could change the color, but without seeing a schematic for what's behind the dash, I was not going to venture as far as taking things apart just to find out that it was not possible.

Another option I was looking at was to see if the Hyundai Elantra clock (Blue) would be compatible with our Forte clock (Red). I've been busy so I have not done any research as to whether or not this would be possible.

If you find anything out, or if anyone else has any insight, PLEASE let us know! Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure as well as to what type of lightning it uses..but I am pretty sure it will require the SMD LEDs. I think Kia stopped using the bulbs on newer models. I changed the color of my previous car (2009 Kia Spectra) and I used the SMD..and yes they are mounted to the circuit board, it involves soldering and desoldering. If it in fact requires the SMD LEDs and u are willing to change it, just make sure u practice and learn abt soldering..after some practice you'll get the hang of it. You don't need to be a pro. ;)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
an Idea

if you really want to change the lights from red to any other color, i think it would be the same idea as the this link;

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

This is basically a guy taking apart parts of a smart car, and changing orange LED, with Blue ones. i think it gives a general idea of what to expect, and what you're gonna need !!! :) :):):):):)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still want to do this pretty badly, but I am a little intimidated. Never done this before and can't F up my DD.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh man that blue looks awesome... I wonder how much it would cost to replace those parts of the dash if i were to break them... lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just yesterday my friend said it would be cool if we could change the lighting to whatever we wanted. If I was in a blue mood then set it to blue and change it to just about any color. I thought that would be a cool idea too, but I'm not that concerned with it. My car is black with the red stitching in the leather so the red fits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dashboard illumination

Im going to give this ago when i get back from work next weekend just disassemble to see if its possible will take some pics too i have access to all the specialty tools thanks to my older sister working at kia here in Australia.

And it will go in to my theme cause the back seats center console gear boot door trims and pillars are recovered in blue and black cloth fake leather with blue stitching.

It would look funny with the front seats rear door cards steering wheel done in this blue black theme and have a red dash illumination lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just a quick question i have a 2010 forte koup ex 2.0. i noticed the red rings around the ac/ heat/fan speed knobs i was wondering if those were suppose to illuminate???

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
just a quick question i have a 2010 forte koup ex 2.0. i noticed the red rings around the ac/ heat/fan speed knobs i was wondering if those were suppose to illuminate???
nope- they are for day time amusement only

the round grill about size of quarter on the dash below the ignition switch is for a sensor for the AC

the button w/squiggles on the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel is for the heated mirrors/windshield

heated leather seats are sweet!

center caps can either be removed thru brute force - or removing wheels and pushing them from the inside out

the trip button toggles thru various info modes- tripA/tripB/chrono/miles to empty/etc

those of us in CONUS are lucky- we get the 2.4 engine

as far as i know- in 2010- you were not able to buy a US version of the SX koup in white

and- while martin luther king day was a holiday for many people-i had to wake up at 0500 hrs and go to work today :(

i think the black SX koup is the sexiest of all the fortes out there

hope you all had a good day and got a chuckle :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
so the knob in the center the changes where the air is blowin or either on ac has red ring around it but is basically for looks it doesnt light up? just making sure i have this correct

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.