Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to install some fog lamps on my forte sedan EX, however since the car obviously doesn't have the toggle on the blinker bar like the other models do I was hoping to find an elegant way of mounting a switch rather than just hanging it somewhere looking somewhat out of place. I'd also rather not hide it because then it becomes a pain in the ass to get to.

So next to the ESC button there are two empty buttons left that serve no purpose in my car:

I was hoping that I would be able to rig one of those covers to somehow work as a pushbutton switch for the foglights as the ESC works. Does anyone know what it looks like behind those switches, or has anyone taken any part of that apart and think that it would be doable? If no one else has done it, I guess I can be the first but I'd like some input if there is any to be had.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Can't you just buy a replacement switch for the TCS and install it for fog right beside?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't you just buy a replacement switch for the TCS and install it for fog right beside?
Hmm that's a good idea, I was going to buy a switch for the fog light but then I realized that the other models have them by the blinker not on the dash, but then it would have the wrong picture on it, I wonder if I could switch the button of the switch with the blank on the dash...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Just get a sticker to put over it. Says something like "Rocket Launcher" or similar :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
When I was trying to get that part of my dash off (never got it off because there were a couple screws I couldn't get to) I popped those buttons off. If I remember correctly you can just reach up from below, behind the dash of course, and pinch the clips holding them in place and push them out. Theres not like a sheet of metal or anything directly behind the buttons as seen from the front, so you would have to definitely rig up something to mount the fog switch there, directly behind the button, so there would be pressure against it when you pushed down on the button from the front
but I think it is definitely doable if you can rig up something to mount it with, and can figure out how to remove that part of the dash
Maybe the kia tech site in US has some info on it

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ook forget about getting the TCS replacement switch. I just called Kia parts and they said you can only buy the whole panel which has the dome light dimmer and the TCS with two blanks like in the pic above, cost is 215.00 CAD. They said the electrical switches are built in behind that panel. Looks like a custom job to put your own switch. Probably easiest to just drill the hole for the rocker lighted switches on that spot.
4PCS 12V DC Red DOT LED Rocker Switch Car,Boat...SPST - eBay (item 150325567276 end time May-03-10 09:09:34 PDT)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm well ok, that rules out the replacement switch, that's pretty stupid... Oh well, that switch would work but it doesn't really match the interior, which is what I'd really like to do. I will see about rigging one of the blanks up to be a button.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You could mount that rocker switch on the top of that little storage compartment so you reach in a little to switch it and you will see the glow at night that it is on but won't see the switch at all or the glow during the day. It would be your little secret on how to turn on the fogs. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could mount that rocker switch on the top of that little storage compartment so you reach in a little to switch it and you will see the glow at night that it is on but won't see the switch at all or the glow during the day. It would be your little secret on how to turn on the fogs. :)
What's the storage compartment supposed to hold? I can't think of anything I'd want to put in there.... Other than maybe the switch lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
What's the storage compartment supposed to hold? I can't think of anything I'd want to put in there.... Other than maybe the switch lol
lol I think of that as my wallet caddy
it is the exact size as my wallet, and It's uncomfortable to me to drive with anything in my back pocket, so it works out perfectly
Not sure what it actually is supposed to hold though lol, my last car had a similar pocket too

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just traded my big fat leather wallet for the 'magic' wallet or w/e it is called, its thin enough i can't tell its in my pocket half the time, but I also don't pack out my wallet with a lot of cards and stuff so that also helps... lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I use it for my work parking access card. Kinda big for it since my last car Pontiac Wave had a cool little slot near the power door switches that held that card perfectly. I miss that feature.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That spot is where the switch for the Lighted speaker rings in the US cars goes. I use it for my smokes....

I think your best bet would be to drill a hole in one of those blank switch panels and wire a nice toggle.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The dealer didn't even know what that slot was for until I showed them with my card.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I put my switch (press button ) below change pocket, I leave the switch in the on the position all the time. It doesn't worry me about the position as long as when I look down I can check and see when foglights are on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You do realize your driving on the wrong side of the car?... :)
that was my first thought too, why is all that shit on the wrong side? lol

His car doesn't even HAVE the blanks that mine does from the looks of it in that picture...I wonder why not, oh well, better for me I guess lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I took a look at my switch panel and was able to pop out the one blank I have. Deicer and TCS Off take up two spots. You can pop out the blanks fairly easy by accessing the back from the fuse panel access door to push down on the top clip while using a blade to lift up slightly from the bottom of the blank you want to pop out and it slides right out. As you can see in the blurry iPhone pics (sorry) the blank is pretty big and not empty on the back of it so you will have to do some cutting of it to use to mount a switch or something. Nice thing is the fuse box is a few inches from it so not much wiring needs to be run. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts