Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back to the strip for the second time in my forte GT since July or August and managed to get a 14.66 @ 95 mph on my first and second run more or less. After that it was a heatsoaked mess of IAT hitting 120's while ambient was 50-55. And getting a few 15s. Ended the night on a 14.8 and considered it good. Though really thinking about it on my way home. What is the best way to reliably launch the dct? I did majority of my runs with Ebrake holds but this might be the last time I do so because I feel like it's gonna cook the shit out of the trans. And being my daily I need it to Still function. Would the normal brake hold be "safer" or is it all about the same. I'm not real avid at the strip I just wanted to know what it could do. And if I am going to be launching the car. The best method of doing so without destroying anything too much
Receipt Sleeve Font Paper Transparency

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,425 Posts
Good question! I've yet to see anything written about the best way to launch the DCT.

Shrapnel, How did you launch yours?

I'm not a fan of revving the engine while holding the brake with the DCT. I know upping the revs will get the trubo spooled up but the way the DCT works seems to make this a bad idea. I haven't been on a dragstrip in more then a decade but I wonder if you can launch the DCT using the lights - with a three yellow light tree what would the reaction time be if you let off the brake on the second light and then floored it on the third yellow light, moving forward on the green light?

In my old automatics with high-stall converters I would floor it from idle as the last yellow light came on and could cut a best time of .009 reaction time off the green light. At a street light the DCT is at a disadvantage against a manual...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question! I've yet to see anything written about the best way to launch the DCT.

I'm not a fan of revving the engine while holding the brake with the DCT. I know upping the revs will get the trubo spooled up but the way the DCT works seems to make this a bad idea. I haven't been on a dragstrip in more then a decade but I wonder if you can launch the DCT using the lights - with a three yellow light tree what would the reaction time be if you let off the brake on the second light and then floored it on the third yellow light, moving forward on the green light?

In my old automatics with high-stall converters I would floor it from idle as the last yellow light came on and could cut a best time of .009 reaction time off the green light. At a street light the DCT is at a disadvantage against a manual...
i used the ebrake method which worked well but im not sure if ill keep doing it for reliability sake. Raced another Gt doing a normal brake + gas and beat them by about a second. (.7, but it also wasn't their car and they were just running it) From what ive seen on youtube a few people have done ebrake ( elantra sport) and ive seen the normal brake and gas (2nd gen VT) i feel like brake and gas is something kia/hyundai planned on you doing and it would be ( a little) better on the trans.But ive also heard just flooring it works. i wasn't running a timer here but one of my better runs was with TC off as ( accident after cooling off) and it actually Launched the hardest ive ever felt. my best 0-60 on the street was 6.2 doing Gas+brake until 2k then going. so really im puzzled. But hearing that the dct will shut off after 2-3 seconds of gas and brake. whereas an ebrake hold the car just tries to go. im betting gas and brake is safer for the clutches in the long run

·
Registered
2022 Forte GT DCT GT2 Gravity Grey
13 Posts
What’s the gas + brake rev limit? And yes it will only hold it for 3 seconds, it’s pretty standard for DCT’s even my focus had it.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Usually with factory tuning it's pretty much impossible to "properly launch" a DCT of this type, because the automaker prevents the transmission from doing stuff that would cause excessive wear. Unlike a manual transmission, where the clutch is not covered by the drivetrain warranty and the automaker doesn't care how badly it gets abused, the clutch pack in a DCT is covered by the warranty, so the automaker has a vested interest in preventing you from roasting the clutch discs. These are not heavy-duty transmissions, the clutches are meant to last the life of the car, and they aren't cheap to service. They are probably a terrible choice for drag racing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last thing I would do is take an economy car to a track. These cars are not muscle cars and not made for racing. Yeah it's got a turbo and exhaust but that doesn't make it a track car. You'll definitely make the transmission and other parts less reliable with all the added stress especially if it's your daily driver and want to keep it for a while. You need to baby these cars. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,425 Posts
Last thing I would do is take an economy car to a track. These cars are not muscle cars and not made for racing. Yeah it's got a turbo and exhaust but that doesn't make it a track car. You'll definitely make the transmission and other parts less reliable with all the added stress especially if it's your daily driver and want to keep it for a while. You need to baby these cars. Just my 2 cents.
If all you want to do is "baby your car" why buy a turbo car in the first place? Nothing wrong with "spirited" driving...and you have a 10yr/100K or 20yr/200K warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If all you want to do is "baby your car" why buy a turbo car in the first place? Nothing wrong with "spirited" driving...and you have a 10yr/100K or 20yr/200K warranty.
Buying a turbo car is not going to make it a track car either. Just need to use common sense. Revving your car or using ebrake, etc just to get 1/100 of a second difference down a track is just plain dumb. You'll screw up your transmission in no time. Running 14 seconds is also embarrassing too.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm not one to tell other people how to drive their car.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Neither are you to comment.
Forum: A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

Reactions: tc0566

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Exactly take your own advice.
BTW we were not talking about "shaving 1/100" of a second off of our time - we were trying to establish how to cut a light so you're not caught sleeping at the start. You DO KNOW there are different classes in autosports too, right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
BTW we were not talking about "shaving 1/100" of a second off of our time - we were trying to establish how to cut a light so you're not caught sleeping at the start. You DO KNOW there are different classes in autosports too, right?
Try a cup of coffee so you stay awake, not screwing up your car if it's a daily driver.

Take a rest buddy.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I suggest you find a forum more your speed: AARP or | DriveSafe

• Haha

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
315 Posts
It’s my car, so I can drive it how I want. I don’t baby my stuff. At all. I bought my cars to use and enjoy them, and if that enjoyment involves the occasional 5k rpm clutch drop, so be it. Besides, as stated, I’ve got a 10 year/100k mile warranty. Is my Forte my daily? Yes. Does it spend most of its life north of 4k rpm once it’s warmed up? Also yes. Have I had any issues because I drive it hard? No. Driving things hard doesn’t make them less reliable. I had a 193k mile Volvo XC90 and it never ran better than after the time I drove it like a Ferrari for about 2 hours. Turbo was glowing, brakes were smoking, but it still ran and drove great. A 15 year old Volvo SUV is certainly not a track car. Did I drive it like one that day? Yup. And it didn’t mess anything up. Only got rid of it because the Kia dealer gave me decent money on trade for my FE. The Forte GT is a set of brake pads and high-temp fluid away from being a competent track car. I know a guy that has one and tracks it. It does great out there, is tons of fun, and he hasn’t had any issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts