Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I park the SX Koup for 6 days and ride my Harley to work. Started raining yesterday. This morning I go to get in the car and the battery is dead...not a little dead, completely. Remote won't even make the car click. Unlocked the door with the key and no dome lights, nothing.
I will charge the battery when I get home this evening. Questions is:

Anyone else experience this. I've had the car since January of this year with about 7k miles on it now. Never had a problem before now.

Seems like the battery should last longer than a week just setting.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There might be a battery drain - do you have any aftermarket alarms/devices installed? It might also be that the battery is fine but there is a disconnect somewhere? Sounds like dealer time!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely Stock

I bought this car as a commuter. No aftermarket anything. I will drive it till it is worn out, then replace. I have several high end cars but actually prefer this one as a daily driver. Mileage is a lot better than the others. Cheap maintenance, etc.
So basically, I just let a completely stock 2010 SX that I bought in January set for 6 days and the battery is dead???

There might be a battery drain - do you have any aftermarket alarms/devices installed? It might also be that the battery is fine but there is a disconnect somewhere? Sounds like dealer time!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'd get the dealer to check for a power drain from the car. Should be able to sit for an extended length of time before any battery charge issue. Usually disconnect battery if sitting for a few months.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've experience dead battery problems more than enough times to know how frustrating it is. My 2007 Milan ran fine until a few months into the lease, and almost every other morning, battery would be drained. If it sat for more than 24 hours, there was just no hope that the car would start.

My Milan has been in the shop more than 10 times during the winter because the battery kept draining and no one could figure out why. The starter would click but nothing more. It took about 10 professionals to figure out that my radio was draining all my battery (even if the radio was turned off). Replaced the radio, everything has been great since.

Good luck! Sometimes, it's the least expected thing that causes the problem.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I've heard of electronic rust protectors draining batteries when not installed correctly, or when they fail.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
Sad this happened to you but it's not that uncommon. Just have the dealer look at it -- battery is warranted (better to have one go bad now Vs one+ year after purchase because it is prorated after a year). Also have them check the electrical and charging systems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow-up

I got home last night and checked the battery. It was so flat that the charger would not even charge it. Had to zap the battery with 50 amps a few times to get the resistance up enough so it would start charging. Charged it up the rest of the way. Started it and all seems fine. I am back on the Harley today, so I will see tonight if the battery is still up. I am going to call Kia today and see what they have to say. I did confirm that there are no lights on, nothing drawing current aside from the normal stuff. So, as of right now, I don't know why the battery went down. It's a pain to get the car to the dealer, so I will have to schedule that event.

I need to get it to the dealer anyway to have the right side window adjusted as it hits the door trim when closing the door if the window is all the way up.
And the sun roof rattles.
So, I think a trip is in order.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to Kia

So I called Central Kia and they tell me that it is not unusual for this car to drain a battery in 6 days. I don't believe it. They said they could load test the battery, but it would be $52.00. What a bunch of BS. I can get it load tested at any auto parts store for nothing. Guess I will have to wait till it strands me somewhere. No support from Kia on this at all???

·
Registered
316 Posts
So I called Central Kia and they tell me that it is not unusual for this car to drain a battery in 6 days. I don't believe it. They said they could load test the battery, but it would be $52.00. What a bunch of BS. I can get it load tested at any auto parts store for nothing. Guess I will have to wait till it strands me somewhere. No support from Kia on this at all???
I wouldn't say no support from kia...but definitely no support from your dealers maintenance department.

Call Kia of America (or kia canada...kia europe..asia, wherever) and let them know what's up. That way it's on record. It's clearly a warranty issue and your dealership clearly has mechanics paid by commission that want to gouge you for every penny.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe you can do comparisons and show that other Forte owners cars start fine after 6 days of non use, then you have something to reference as a starting point. Start by taking a poll here on this forum...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I went on vacation for 5 days, came back to start my koup, started no problem. :] Good luck with your issue, if your dealer won't look at it, you can also try calling another kia dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I wouldn't say no support from kia...but definitely no support from your dealers maintenance department.

Call Kia of America (or kia canada...kia europe..asia, wherever) and let them know what's up. That way it's on record. It's clearly a warranty issue and your dealership clearly has mechanics paid by commission that want to gouge you for every penny.

Yeah sounds like your dealer (like mine) does not want to work at half pay to even look to see what the problem is. as said find another dealer or

Try going to Hyundai dealer if you have one close

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Flynng, do yo leave your lights on the on position when you park your car? I had a problem with on old car. It was a spectra and the lights would turn on in the middle of the night and kill the battery. It had the same system as the for the lights as the forte does.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Flynng, do yo leave your lights on the on position when you park your car? I had a problem with on old car. It was a spectra and the lights would turn on in the middle of the night and kill the battery. It had the same system as the for the lights as the forte does.
Was your car's name Christine? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

I took the car to the dealer I bought it from for some of the other issues.
They are fixing the sun roof bump noise, the passenger window hits the trim at the top and there is a rattle in the dash when heater is on or everything is hot. They also load tested the battery. It did not pass, so they are replacing it. Hopefully this will fix the problem. They were monitoring the battery load with everything off over the weekend to see if anything else is going on. They said only 10 mili-amps was being pulled. 30 is the allowable max. Should get it back today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Christine, well maybe

You know, that would be OK, if the paint chips and dirt would go away on their own every night. Get up the next day, go outside, and the car looks new. Anyone tries to steal it, you find them dead next to the car. Kind of like an anti-theft system with an attitude. But then, where to hide the bodies.

Was your car's name Christine? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 Forte started doing this after I had it about a year. The battery would go flat after a week sometimes, but sometimes overnight and once on a 30 minute ferry ride with dome light and radio on. It's been checked many times by the dealer & once by factory rep. unsuccessfully. Other than this issue I really like the car. I will talk with Dealer store manager this week and try for some sort of resolution.

·
Registered
215 Posts
First of all, with a decent multi-meter you can check the parasitic draw by disconnecting the negative terminal and putting your meter (in current/amp mode) in series between the negative terminal and the battery connector.

10 milliamp draw can't be responsible for the dead battery. I think the battery was defective to start with - that it can't hold charge.

In 6 days. or in 144 hours, your battery got drained. Thus, if the battery is a typical 60 min reserve battery, then it's suppose to withstand 25 amp draw for 1 hour before the voltage drops to 10.5 volts. In other words, the parasitic draw of about 178 milliamps for 144 hours (6 days) should still leave the battery at 10.5 volts. At 30 milliamps parasitic draw, your battery should be alive after being parked in a garage for a month.

To check the battery health, get it load tested at any auto parts store.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.